UEFA set to ratify new financial fair play rules

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: UEFA set to ratify new financial fair play rules

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu May 27, 2010 1:54 pm

brite blu sky wrote:my view is that clubs will always find a way around whatever financial rules are put in place.

The football industry is exemplary capitalism at its best/worst.. and as we know it will do whatever it takes to invent ways around limiting rules, by bending them, undermining them or inventing things that the regulators hadn't been able to think of. So in the not so longer term Platini's rules will amount to nothing.

Despite what I said earlier, I agree with this. The principle of Platini's idea would work against us. Having said that, I can see fair few loop holes from distance...... never mind the lawyers of our Club. "Income" would most likely be created through false advertisement. Ie all of the sudden we'd have Sheik's companies advertising with big money in shirts and in the ground.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Slim » Thu May 27, 2010 2:00 pm

Well, I think the idea has potential but the execution is god awful.

Teams currently in the champions league are generated additional income and therefore more likely to remain within the guidelines whereas a team trying to breach that gap has to do it with less resources at their disposal.

Not sure how this is supposed to close the gap between the haves and havenots, sounds like more of a plan to maintain the G14's strangehold on champions league pennies.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu May 27, 2010 2:19 pm

Slim wrote:Well, I think the idea has potential but the execution is god awful.

Teams currently in the champions league are generated additional income and therefore more likely to remain within the guidelines whereas a team trying to breach that gap has to do it with less resources at their disposal.

Not sure how this is supposed to close the gap between the haves and havenots, sounds like more of a plan to maintain the G14's strangehold on champions league pennies.

This is why we must qualify for the competition ASAP.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Crossie » Thu May 27, 2010 2:44 pm

Plus get everything build quick for the long term and spend spend spend now while we can.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu May 27, 2010 4:40 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:The clubs that will always struggle will be the Uniteds, Barcelonas, Real Madrids, etc because they will take forever to pay down their debts, and servicing the liability will automatically reduce their ability to compete in the transfer markets and pay top dollar wages. Until a benefactor takes them over, they will remain in this circle of debt and will struggle to move forwards. As the transfer market becomes more normalised, the clubs without debt, eg us, Chelsea, will be able to exploit this, and still sign the top players on greatly reduced terms than would be the case today.

No. That is exact opposite of what would happen. Rags, Barcelona, Real, Milan etc despite being DEEP in red constanly make operational profits. Operational profits don't including the repayments of the debts (of umbrella company in U***d's case). It's just money spent on operations and money gained from matchday revenue, merchandise etc. Therefore this will make it impossible for Club like ours, or even more so for any other club that would end up in our situation, to ever challenge the big clubs. Since you have to speculate to accumulate, but according to these restrictions you can't really financially speculate or simply invest on the business to push it to next level and eventually through on field success (and marketing value this will give us of course) generate operational profits (this is what we are aiming for), you will never be able to make any professional clubs take giant steps forward and punch above their weight.

This will hurt most clubs like us and Chelsea. But also likes of Wigan and Fulham. They too, like us, are living beyond their means in order to make their clubs bigger in long term (well who knows what the fuck Dave Wallace thinks but anyway) even if they are lower in hieararchy. Clubs who will benefit from this are likes of Leeds and Sheffield clubs in lower end of the scale and in higher end the former G14 clubs. As far as our position in league table goes we will not fall too much as we are easily among seven biggest clubs in England as far as the income goes but the gap between us and rags+Arsenal+Liverpool will be enormous and will make Premier League eternally three horse race.

What Platini's aim is, doesn't interest me one bit but he is trying to restrict the competition in open business and shouldn't be able to do that.

I agree if what you say is true, but where has it been said conclusively that the fiscal measure of a club will be operating profit?

The intention of the rule is to calm wages, calm the transfer market and bring some much needed financial stability back to all leagues across Europe, but particularly England and Spain where it has gotten out of hand. The only way that can happen is by making it unattractive for owners to borrow against future earnings which may never materialise, hence stopping the top few clubs spending silly money on the top players, only to see those transfer fees paid to the smaller clubs leave the game into the coffers of banks. Using operating profit as a measure would achieve none of this.

I stand to be corrected, but I think it has gotten in the board psyche here that operating profits is the measure to be used, maybe from reporting saying that you can only spend what you earn etc, but if "what you spend" includes your debt interest, or dividends to owners who then pay the debts of the holding company - then these clubs will be up shit street in no time. However, I dont believe it has ever been stated that operating profit will be the measure used, and I do think the impact on the establishment will be massive

I believe there may be some transitional period for those in the most debt, which is perhaps understandable, but I just dont see how it is detrimental to us
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu May 27, 2010 5:43 pm

The rules will have to be watered down drastically due to the fact that it would stop anyone from wanting to invest in a club due to restriction on business. They've already mentioned that clubs can put money in as long as they convert it to equity which means a club soully owned by one person, would also own all the equity. That's the way I see it anyway.

On another note, what happens when 3 of the Top 4 from each nation are not making it into Europe due to the restrictions, who will want to watch the 5th, 6th and 7th in the 'Champions League' and 8th, 9th and 10th in the Europa; it'd be farsical, especially when you consider that those not allowed in will be looking for their own tournament to compete in to make up the revenue.

I wonder which one Sky would want to show, the Elite or the Also Rans?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Rammyblue » Thu May 27, 2010 6:28 pm

It is called a breakaway league, with independent TV rights sponsored by ADUG with final played in Abu Dhabi and winners taking more in prize money than chumps league.
Rammyblue
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu May 27, 2010 6:32 pm

Rammyblue wrote:It is called a breakaway league, with independent TV rights sponsored by ADUG with final played in Abu Dhabi and winners taking more in prize money than chumps league.

That's the one Rammy, and if Platini and Co believe that these clubs will just sit around twiddling their thumbs waiting for themselves to become eligible, then he's got another thing coming.

The Abu Dhabi World Final, got a nice ring to it actually ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby btajim » Thu May 27, 2010 7:44 pm

Crossie wrote:Plus get everything build quick for the long term and spend spend spend now while we can.

Our Owners won't just throw money at City for years. There'll be ideas to maximise commercial income, develop our own players from within etc. I agree with Platini's ideas on principle and as a Football Fan - but they won't have the confidence to push us out of Competitions because our spending can be a healthy thing for other Clubs / breaking the Top 4 of the Premiership. Everyone was getting bored of Man Ure, Chelsea, Arse and Liverpool.
carl_feedthegoat wrote:Btajim.
Hi Garry,I just wanted to shake your hand and ask you a question.I go to COMS as mucha as possible but sometimes I cannot leave the house as Sophie.....sorry..Sophie is my Cat...... needs a carer when Im away and sometimes I cannot find one.
My question is ; Is it possible to bring Sophie to matches at COMS in her kitten box and can she come in for free?
btajim
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby Socrates » Thu May 27, 2010 7:57 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:The rules will have to be watered down drastically due to the fact that it would stop anyone from wanting to invest in a club due to restriction on business.

Actually no, if they worked then they would have the opposite effect! Investing in a club is currently pointless as you can only have success by pouring in masses of money that you have little hope of ever getting back. Would-be owners would be more likely to invest if their competitors are also being run as profitable businesses rather than a rich person's plaything.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu May 27, 2010 7:59 pm

btajim wrote:
Crossie wrote:Plus get everything build quick for the long term and spend spend spend now while we can.

Our Owners won't just throw money at City for years. There'll be ideas to maximise commercial income, develop our own players from within etc. I agree with Platini's ideas on principle and as a Football Fan - but they won't have the confidence to push us out of Competitions because our spending can be a healthy thing for other Clubs / breaking the Top 4 of the Premiership. Everyone was getting bored of Man Ure, Chelsea, Arse and Liverpool.

I agree with the idea in principle, but the whole legislation proposed is flawed. The way they are setting it up is divisive and actually excludes the majority of clubs from ever getting a shot at the title, creating a two tier system that allows those presently in the Champions League positions to stay there and reap the rewards. We know business is not a level playing but at least the smaller players have a chance to take a punt to make it big, these regulations in their proposed form just create a monopoly.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu May 27, 2010 8:14 pm

Socrates wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:The rules will have to be watered down drastically due to the fact that it would stop anyone from wanting to invest in a club due to restriction on business.

Actually no, if they worked then they would have the opposite effect! Investing in a club is currently pointless as you can only have success by pouring in masses of money that you have little hope of ever getting back. Would-be owners would be more likely to invest if their competitors are also being run as profitable businesses rather than a rich person's plaything.

That would be so for the clubs in the CL, but what about those who are just pushing a profit or currently running at a loss? It's all relative mate and we have seen how many clubs are in trouble or are being running at a considerable loss to try and make it to the top. It all makes for no competition and will continue the 2 tier situation with those who have spent lots now pulling any form of funding knowing that they will never make it to the promised land. Maybe 10 years down the line they will start making a profit once it's balanced itself out, but by that time it will be pointless having a Premier League, just the 1st, 2nd, 3rd league etc with the Top Teams breaking away on their own in the richest league in the world.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Thu May 27, 2010 8:17 pm

I wish Platini would stop trying to ruin football
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Socrates » Thu May 27, 2010 8:49 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:

That would be so for the clubs in the CL, but what about those who are just pushing a profit or currently running at a loss? It's all relative mate and we have seen how many clubs are in trouble or are being running at a considerable loss to try and make it to the top. It all makes for no competition and will continue the 2 tier situation with those who have spent lots now pulling any form of funding knowing that they will never make it to the promised land. Maybe 10 years down the line they will start making a profit once it's balanced itself out, but by that time it will be pointless having a Premier League, just the 1st, 2nd, 3rd league etc with the Top Teams breaking away on their own in the richest league in the world.

It won't make those clubs less likely to attract genuine investors though. There are far more people out there who would consider buying a football club as a vehicle for making a profit, if such a profit could be made, than want to buy a club and pour a fortune away on it! These rules would make it a little bit easier to make that profit. Where they are bad is in entrenching the current pecking order of clubs indefinitely, which is why there is such an urgency for us to grow so quickly now.

Have to say mate that the idea of all thses clubs breaking away is fanciful. Entrenching the position of the top clubs is sure to make them stay with UEFA not leave! Stopping another City or Chelsea coming along is very much in the intersts of the big clubs. They will simply adjust to meet the rules. They even started preparing before we did! Why else would Real Madrid have spent quite so much last year?
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu May 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Socrates wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:

It won't make those clubs less likely to attract genuine investors though. There are far more people out there who would consider buying a football club as a vehicle for making a profit, if such a profit could be made, than want to buy a club and pour a fortune away on it! These rules would make it a little bit easier to make that profit. Where they are bad is in entrenching the current pecking order of clubs indefinitely, which is why there is such an urgency for us to grow so quickly now.

Have to say mate that the idea of all thses clubs breaking away is fanciful. Entrenching the position of the top clubs is sure to make them stay with UEFA not leave! Stopping another City or Chelsea coming along is very much in the intersts of the big clubs. They will simply adjust to meet the rules. They even started preparing before we did! Why else would Real Madrid have spent quite so much last year?

I think Real Madrid spent the money to try & finish above Barca. There wasn't much doubt that they'd make it into the Chump's league. Not two hundred million's worth of doubt anyway.

Be interesting to see if they spend any more money this season or the one after & how they're going to balance the books IF these rules are to be applied as stringently as the rumours suggest. Our owner doesn't seem to give a toss about it so I'll wait for him & Khaldoon to start worrying before I do. I recon they've agreed a way we can work round it. The G whateverycallums will have decided to let us in but then they're pulling up the drawbridge to stop the likes of Villa etc & the Russians form gatecrashing the party.

It makes me sick. If it was really about financial stability & fair play, Utd & Liverpool would be the 1st clubs banned in order to put off other would be leeches like the Glazers (God bless em). The fact that they've deliberately bent the rules to allow for such situations proves that Platini is a lying, bent, twat & his chums are the same.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu May 27, 2010 9:08 pm

Socrates wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:

I agree with what you say mate,but there are many clubs who are going to be outside these regulations and if the sugar daddies aren't going to be allowed in, and there are many, then they will divise their own tournament with even more money and even more clout, who wouldn't want to join? Like I say mate, it's all relative.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Socrates » Thu May 27, 2010 10:41 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:

I agree with what you say mate,but there are many clubs who are going to be outside these regulations and if the sugar daddies aren't going to be allowed in, and there are many, then they will divise their own tournament with even more money and even more clout, who wouldn't want to join? Like I say mate, it's all relative.

Scum, Barca, Real wouldn't want to join as the rules are being bent to help them and it entrenches their financial superiority. Without them any brerakaway would be pointless.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby BobKowalski » Thu May 27, 2010 11:56 pm

Well I can't see ADUG okaying £200m transfer spend every summer and costs are spiralling out of control overall which is a barrier to investment because no one will invest without the potential for return and Khaldoon is on record as saying that the European model for football is not sustainable. Equally though there has to be some degree of uniformity in rules for the individual leagues. In La Liga (which is in greater debt than the PL) there is no penalty for going into administration so there is little disincentive to run things properly when you can just go into admin, wipe out the debts and emerge from the other side, whereas the Premier league does punish mismanagement. If UEFA want to enact financial fair play rules then all clubs in all leagues within UEFA must start with a level playing field otherwise there is the potential for legal challenges if club A from one league is barred from UEFA competition when club B from another league is not due to more lenient domestic rules.

And legal challenges is where it could get sticky. Except that there will be some 'fudging' along the way. Everyone signing up for this with the best of intentions is all well and good but everyone knows that clubs like Real are not going to accept being barred from UEFA competition if they inadvertently breach some of the rulings. Shaping the rules to suit Real at the moment is no guarantee that they will suit in the future. Its a bit like the financial rules laid down for the Euro zone countries. All is great for a bit then one gets into trouble, shit hits fan and rules start getting 'flexible'. UEFA will have to be 'flexible' and once they start being 'flexible' then everyone starts driving double decker buses through the gaps.

So yes the current model is unsustainable. Even for Real Madrid with their never ending lines of credit and unofficial Government subsidies (anybody care to bet how much Real would not want too close a scrutiny of the way they operate financially?) can probably see some merit in controlling costs but at the end of the day the clubs with financial muscle, and this includes City, will rig the game in their favour and take the benefit of the new rulings in reducing costs whilst making sure it does not impact on them football wise.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby john68 » Fri May 28, 2010 1:38 am

Bob,
Whilst I generally agree with most of your post, my fear is that if much of this affects the big European clubs adversly, they will simply do what they threatened to do some years ago...break away.
If that were to happen, then inclusion could, as it was a few years ago, be by invitation only. The new money and riches Chelsea brought to the table then weren't enough to get them inside the old elite G14. City could find themselves in a similar position.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby BobKowalski » Fri May 28, 2010 9:40 am

john68 wrote:Bob,
Whilst I generally agree with most of your post, my fear is that if much of this affects the big European clubs adversly, they will simply do what they threatened to do some years ago...break away.
If that were to happen, then inclusion could, as it was a few years ago, be by invitation only. The new money and riches Chelsea brought to the table then weren't enough to get them inside the old elite G14. City could find themselves in a similar position.

Well it is possible although I would still bet on UEFA folding and compromising with the elite clubs before it got to any breakaway stage. F1 went through a lot of similar brinkmanship but ultimately both parties recognised the benefit of staying together and I think the same would apply here.

Additionally the debt at various big clubs would have to be factored in. Manu have to service interest payments of some £40m plus per year and as we know its all a bit tight at the mo so the unknown benefits of a breakaway league against the relative security of the current setup would be a tough call. Manu have more incentive then most to welcome the proposal to reduce costs as do Liverpool and even Real and City long term. But there are several interesting scenarios. What If say manu have maxed out their revenue streams and inability to invest in the team because of debt has caused them to slip out of the top 4 putting severe downward pressure on profits etc etc Someone then approaches manu to buy and this wipes out the debt but they need a substantial injection of cash to get back up to speed and this falls outside of the new rules? The current rules designed to help the current elite and control costs is fine as long as you remain part of that elite, but not so hot if you fall by the wayside and if several marque clubs do fall by the wayside and the path back to glory is barred how do you think this will play? The set up of a breakaway league or UEFA fudging the rules?

Also what industry regulates against outside investment that involves spending more than you earn over one or two financial years? Businesses raise additional funds or additional capital to move forward all the time and football is no exception. The difference is that success is not just measured in financial terms but also on the pitch hence some of the problems, but to regulate against the principle of outside investment or even against using football as a loss leader for several years within the context of a wider objective (ie City) is slightly baffling because like Abramovich it is pumping fresh money into the game that would have gone elsewhere. A lot of that money has gone back out via player wages and agent fees but that is an area that could be regulated especially the latter.

You can see what UEFA are trying to do and that they are trying to do it in a way that doesn't upset the current elite so the rules favour them and ensure no one can really threaten them. But as we all know the road to hell is paved with good intentions and I am willing to bet that somewhere down the line the elite are going to have a problem with or fall foul of the new rules and UEFA will have to stick or fold and my money is on fold.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum