Football Media

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Football Media

Postby ruralblue » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:12 pm

john68 wrote:Another point worth mentioning is that football at this level no longer exists. Football lost thre battle between the sport faction and the purely financial faction many years ago.
Football is no longer a sport, it is wholly and entirely a business run by financiers for the benefit of financiers who's sole aim is to maximise profits. Football is just the vehicle being used by them.

What we are seeing and City are a part of; is a battle between major financial interests mostly, who had and are grouped together trying their dammedest to stop another non cartel financial interest becoming too powerful it inhibits the cartel members' interests.

A bit like Tesco, Asda & Morrisons grouping together to stop any further rise of Alsi or Lidle.

As it stands, City are the biggest threat to that cartel and therefore must be stopped domestically and globally. City have become too rich, too powerful an far too successful and the game at all levels is in danger of becoming uncompetitive and the cartel have to stop that at all costs.

I was told many years ago by a very successful businessman that I to stop thinking like a football fan and that thinking like a businessman would help me make sense of it. I did and it did

Being a simpleton John, I always look at City rise and the big guns discontent towards it in a simple way. You win the lottery and have always framed if opening up a clothes shop on the High Street. There are a few big names clothes shops on said street so you heavily invest in yours to make it stand out and look the best, make it the most attractive to custom. You lose money in the shirt term due to level of investment but given time you reap the rewards. The other shops are jealous as fuck but there's fuck all they can do about it. Bit like your Supermarkets. Only in football the top cats can force rule changes to suit their ow agenda.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby zuricity » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:50 pm

john68 wrote:
zuricity wrote:I find it wierd that three clubs can vote for or against something that they will not be part of next season and may never be involved in again . Also wierd that three other teams will be promoted into a set of rules that may constrain them and they never had a chance to vote for or against.

I don't understand why the Premier League is any different from being the First Division under a new name and under the general rules of the FA , of whicn many, many clubs are part of, not just the four top professional leagues.

When the Premier League was set up it became a private business divorced from any regulator.
The Prem Lge PLC approached the FA and asked them if they would become the regulating body, to which the FA agreed.
As it stands, it is my belief that the Prem could withdraw from that agreement should they wish to.

I take your point about the issue of promoted/relegated clubs but each current Prem Lge club is a shareholder in the Prem Lge PLC and therefore has the same voting rights of any other member club.

The Championship and Lgs 1 & 2 are members of and are regulated by ther Football League, a seperate company entirely that the Prem broke away from at its founding.

Still silly that things like FFP can be implemented at the PL level. It's like in the Holy Grail from Python when Micheal Palin as a poor man says "well i didn't vote for you" - " Some Aquatic Ceremony" etc etc. It could be that after seven years the 20 teams that voted for something are no longer involved in it. Wacky that it has been allowed. Bring back the First Division.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby patrickblue » Fri Feb 16, 2024 10:16 pm

ruralblue wrote:
john68 wrote:Another point worth mentioning is that football at this level no longer exists. Football lost thre battle between the sport faction and the purely financial faction many years ago.
Football is no longer a sport, it is wholly and entirely a business run by financiers for the benefit of financiers who's sole aim is to maximise profits. Football is just the vehicle being used by them.

What we are seeing and City are a part of; is a battle between major financial interests mostly, who had and are grouped together trying their dammedest to stop another non cartel financial interest becoming too powerful it inhibits the cartel members' interests.

A bit like Tesco, Asda & Morrisons grouping together to stop any further rise of Alsi or Lidle.

As it stands, City are the biggest threat to that cartel and therefore must be stopped domestically and globally. City have become too rich, too powerful an far too successful and the game at all levels is in danger of becoming uncompetitive and the cartel have to stop that at all costs.

I was told many years ago by a very successful businessman that I to stop thinking like a football fan and that thinking like a businessman would help me make sense of it. I did and it did

Being a simpleton John, I always look at City rise and the big guns discontent towards it in a simple way. You win the lottery and have always framed if opening up a clothes shop on the High Street. There are a few big names clothes shops on said street so you heavily invest in yours to make it stand out and look the best, make it the most attractive to custom. You lose money in the shirt term due to level of investment but given time you reap the rewards. The other shops are jealous as fuck but there's fuck all they can do about it. Bit like your Supermarkets. Only in football the top cats can force rule changes to suit their ow agenda.

Indeed, supermarkets are an analogy I always used when discussing FFP. It's basically the same as someone starting a supermarket chain, and trying to compete with Tesco and Asda etc, but not being allowed to invest to grow it. So they can never compete because they can't buy in the quantities to attract the discounts the big boys enjoy.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby MIAMCFC » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:44 am

Good sense to meet the enemy. They reach out for a chat. Also a possibility he gave us a heads up they wanted to poach their new CEO. Who may well be pushing for Wilcox to join the Rags. It’s business as already stated.
MIAMCFC
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:58 am

MIAMCFC wrote:Good sense to meet the enemy. They reach out for a chat. Also a possibility he gave us a heads up they wanted to poach their new CEO. Who may well be pushing for Wilcox to join the Rags. It’s business as already stated.

It’s a good idea to meet up with United and discuss business models?

Have you lost your mind mate?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby MIAMCFC » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:15 am

Mase wrote:
MIAMCFC wrote:Good sense to meet the enemy. They reach out for a chat. Also a possibility he gave us a heads up they wanted to poach their new CEO. Who may well be pushing for Wilcox to join the Rags. It’s business as already stated.

Both sides talk at all levels Mate. It’s just how it is. Sir Jim. Dave Braisford was consulting with us not so long ago. 19 clubs it’s a small pond Mase.
MIAMCFC

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:18 am

MIAMCFC wrote:
Mase wrote:

Both sides talk at all levels Mate. It’s just how it is. Sir Jim. Dave Braisford was consulting with us not so long ago. 19 clubs it’s a small pond Mase.

Do you think United, Liverpool and Arsenal took our calls when we were taken over to ask for advice?… Liverpool didn’t speak to us but hacked our system instead. United are one of the teams that helped create FFP and have constantly been in the ear of the FA and Prem trying to destroy us. Genuinely can’t believe a City fan would think this is normal!

Supermarkets were used as an analogy earlier, do you think if a new supermarket was created that Asda and Tesco would speak with them and tell them and give them advice?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby MIAMCFC » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:42 am

Mase wrote:
MIAMCFC wrote:
Mase wrote:

Do you think United, Liverpool and Arsenal took our calls when we were taken over to ask for advice?… Liverpool didn’t speak to us but hacked our system instead. United are one of the teams that helped create FFP and have constantly been in the ear of the FA and Prem trying to destroy us. Genuinely can’t believe a City fan would think this is normal!

Supermarkets were used as an analogy earlier, do you think if a new supermarket was created that Asda and Tesco would speak with them and tell them and give them advice?

100% business leaders talk. In Sir Jim and City we have two hugely successful business leaders with football and the small matter of Energy in common of course they talk. And will have been doing so for years, it happens. All be it indirectly most of the time. Ineos sponsorship in the UAE. Natural Gas worldwide,, the paths have crossed Mase. We are top dogs where else do billionaires go as they get their feet under the table. His new CEO is all you need to know…. I’m just saying.
MIAMCFC

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:02 am

It doesn’t happen mate :lol: You think Adidas and Nike meet up and discuss their business models?

You keep saying it happens but it doesn’t.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:47 am

Mase wrote:It doesn’t happen mate :lol: You think Adidas and Nike meet up and discuss their business models?

I’d bet good money they do. At high up levels folks will be friendly with their counterparts at other similar firms and will often meet socially and of course they will talk shop. They won’t give secrets away of course but they will discuss strategies so both parties can maximise profits and returns in different ponds.

Is it coincidence the price of airline tickets between BA and Virgin and others are very similar? Or the price of groceries? Or petrol? Or eating out?

No, it isn’t coincidence
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:54 am

nottsblue wrote:
Mase wrote:It doesn’t happen mate :lol: You think Adidas and Nike meet up and discuss their business models?

I’d bet good money they do. At high up levels folks will be friendly with their counterparts at other similar firms and will often meet socially and of course they will talk shop. They won’t give secrets away of course but they will discuss strategies so both parties can maximise profits and returns in different ponds.

Is it coincidence the price of airline tickets between BA and Virgin and others are very similar? Or the price of groceries? Or petrol? Or eating out?

No, it isn’t coincidence

I honestly can’t see it but if you think they do that’s fair enough. Wonder when Maccies and Burger had their meeting. I’d like to be involved if there’s free food.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:00 am

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

No, it isn’t coincidence

I honestly can’t see it but if you think they do that’s fair enough. Wonder when Maccies and Burger had their meeting. I’d like to be involved if there’s free food.

How much difference between their prices and products is there? And how often do see a Burger King in the same location as a McDonalds?

This isn’t luck. It’s by design
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:06 am

Still can’t see it.

Absolutely zero benefit for City to discuss anything with United. But happy to be proven otherwise.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:44 am

Mase wrote:Still can’t see it.

Absolutely zero benefit for City to discuss anything with United. But happy to be proven otherwise.

It won't be on transfers, guaranteed
It might be on pricing of tickets/merchandise etc
It won't be on our stadium infrastructure and future plans around this

But, it might, and probably has had in the past, discussions around the ESL, possible future developments in the PL, things like league size. Italy I think at the moment are debating whether to decrease the size of Serie A because of the expanded European competitions. Discussions around parachute payments
What both clubs can do for Manchester

I'm not suggesting we are in bed with them. But equally I cannot believe we completely ignore them and we don't communicate
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Mase » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:10 am

nottsblue wrote:

But, it might, and probably has had in the past, discussions around the ESL, possible future developments in the PL, things like league size. Italy I think at the moment are debating whether to decrease the size of Serie A because of the expanded European competitions. Discussions around parachute payments

I'm not suggesting we are in bed with them. But equally I cannot believe we completely ignore them and we don't communicate

I thought ticket prices was fixed now? And the cost of shirts you can see by just visiting the clubs website. Still don’t see why a meeting would be needed for that?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby zuricity » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:26 am

nottsblue wrote:

No, it isn’t coincidence

LIBOR rate fixing london . They meet up alright.
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby nottsblue » Sat Feb 17, 2024 11:54 am

Mase wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

I thought ticket prices was fixed now? And the cost of shirts you can see by just visiting the clubs website. Still don’t see why a meeting would be needed for that?

Ticket prices aren’t fixed at all. Maybe they discuss pricing for packages for tourists? This is increasingly becoming a more lucrative market for clubs. Not beyond the realm of possibility we want to increase our share of this. Maybe this sort of thing isn’t discussed.

My last point re the ESL is pertinent though. And so it’s very likely we have informal chats over dinner or over a round of golf. So I do get your football viewpoint of why would we. But from a business angle it’s almost certainly a given
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Outcast » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:09 pm

I bet they meet for orgies too. Khaldoon gave Ratcliffe's missus the treble
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:13 pm

Outcast wrote:I bet they meet for orgies too. Khaldoon gave Ratcliffe's missus the treble

Well played son.

:lol:
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby zuricity » Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:36 am

"We're not really here".

Beeb sports news this morning. Starts with everton - palace as could be expected. Comments from manager and players
Champions League games, not relevant to UK, get a good session , milan manager even gets translated into english
Onto other sports.

Are we really playing tonight ? Might poss close the gap ?
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum