It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Sun May 31, 2026 10:40 pm

I’m delighted to share that my new book, It’s All Mick McCarthy’s Fault, is now available on Amazon.

What began with my cousin Mick McCarthy signing for Manchester City when I was eight years old became a lifelong journey following the club through every imaginable high and low.

The book is about much more than football. It’s about identity, confidence, family, resilience, and how sport can completely shape a person’s life.
Over the years, that journey led me from being a young City supporter isolated in the south, to writing for the official Manchester City programme, travelling the world following the club, meeting players I once idolised, and sharing those experiences with my son,

I’m incredibly proud to finally share this story -

Available in hardback, paperback, and Kindle on the link below and would really appreciate if you shared this.

Image
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Sun May 31, 2026 10:42 pm

Here's the link or feel free if you'd like a signed copy which I'm hoping to include Mick's signature also

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Its-All-Mick-M ... p_swatch_0
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Sun May 31, 2026 10:56 pm

Image
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Mase » Sun May 31, 2026 11:05 pm

Bloody hell, Mick was handsome back in the day!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 46716
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Tue Jun 02, 2026 12:59 pm

Mase wrote:Bloody hell, Mick was handsome back in the day!


:D :D :D
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Sparklehorse » Tue Jun 02, 2026 3:54 pm

Colin_Bell wrote:I’m delighted to share that my new book, It’s All Mick McCarthy’s Fault, is now available on Amazon.

What began with my cousin Mick McCarthy signing for Manchester City when I was eight years old became a lifelong journey following the club through every imaginable high and low.

The book is about much more than football. It’s about identity, confidence, family, resilience, and how sport can completely shape a person’s life.
Over the years, that journey led me from being a young City supporter isolated in the south, to writing for the official Manchester City programme, travelling the world following the club, meeting players I once idolised, and sharing those experiences with my son,

I’m incredibly proud to finally share this story -

Available in hardback, paperback, and Kindle on the link below and would really appreciate if you shared this.

Image

The guy in the middle looks like Walter White from Breaking Bad. No wonder there was a blue tinge to his crystal meth !!!
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1947
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:13 pm
Location: Swansea
Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jun 02, 2026 5:50 pm

Fuck me, had no idea Mark was on the forum too.
Now I feel ashamed for calling Rodri a crane when I first saw him.
Image
User avatar
PeterParker
Agueroooo's 93:20 League Winner
 
Posts: 24526
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Bucharest
Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jun 03, 2026 9:30 am

PeterParker wrote:Fuck me, had no idea Mark was on the forum too.
Now I feel ashamed for calling Rodri a crane when I first saw him.


Shame he has only ever contributed to the board when he's selling something
Image
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel
 
Posts: 9793
Joined: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:41 pm
Location: Abu Dhabi
Supporter of: .

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby zuricity » Wed Jun 03, 2026 9:49 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Fuck me, had no idea Mark was on the forum too.
Now I feel ashamed for calling Rodri a crane when I first saw him.


Shame he has only ever contributed to the board when he's selling something


Indeed, now if someone else had plugged it.......
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Mercer's OBE
 
Posts: 19549
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2005 10:54 pm
Location: Zuerich,ch

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Mase » Wed Jun 03, 2026 11:21 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Fuck me, had no idea Mark was on the forum too.
Now I feel ashamed for calling Rodri a crane when I first saw him.


Shame he has only ever contributed to the board when he's selling something


That whopper TwoSips dropped this board as soon as he realised it wasn't as popular as another board.

I saw he was moaning the other day because he has to work and it's not fair.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 46716
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Wed Jun 03, 2026 5:55 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Fuck me, had no idea Mark was on the forum too.
Now I feel ashamed for calling Rodri a crane when I first saw him.


Shame he has only ever contributed to the board when he's selling something


That's a fair point :( I do hope some of the things I post are of interest to fellow Blues, but I can see your point
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby branny » Wed Jun 03, 2026 8:48 pm

Mase wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Fuck me, had no idea Mark was on the forum too.
Now I feel ashamed for calling Rodri a crane when I first saw him.


Shame he has only ever contributed to the board when he's selling something


That whopper TwoSips dropped this board as soon as he realised it wasn't as popular as another board.

I saw he was moaning the other day because he has to work and it's not fair.


That's Esteemed Kompany isn't it?
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser
 
Posts: 4550
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:53 pm
Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jun 04, 2026 7:09 am

Colin_Bell wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Fuck me, had no idea Mark was on the forum too.
Now I feel ashamed for calling Rodri a crane when I first saw him.


Shame he has only ever contributed to the board when he's selling something


That's a fair point :( I do hope some of the things I post are of interest to fellow Blues, but I can see your point


What Spartacus is actually saying is that it's your fault Kolarov left.
Image
User avatar
PeterParker
Agueroooo's 93:20 League Winner
 
Posts: 24526
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 pm
Location: Bucharest
Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Blue Jam » Sun Jun 07, 2026 7:52 pm

Colin_Bell wrote:I’m delighted to share that my new book, It’s All Mick McCarthy’s Fault, is now available on Amazon.

What began with my cousin Mick McCarthy signing for Manchester City when I was eight years old became a lifelong journey following the club through every imaginable high and low.

The book is about much more than football. It’s about identity, confidence, family, resilience, and how sport can completely shape a person’s life.
Over the years, that journey led me from being a young City supporter isolated in the south, to writing for the official Manchester City programme, travelling the world following the club, meeting players I once idolised, and sharing those experiences with my son,

I’m incredibly proud to finally share this story -

Available in hardback, paperback, and Kindle on the link below and would really appreciate if you shared this.

Image


Best of luck with it, I'll enjoy reading that
User avatar
Blue Jam
De Jong's Tackle
 
Posts: 1814
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:31 pm
Location: Occupied Caprica
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Goater

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Tue Jun 09, 2026 5:30 pm

Blue Jam wrote:
Colin_Bell wrote:I’m delighted to share that my new book, It’s All Mick McCarthy’s Fault, is now available on Amazon.

What began with my cousin Mick McCarthy signing for Manchester City when I was eight years old became a lifelong journey following the club through every imaginable high and low.

The book is about much more than football. It’s about identity, confidence, family, resilience, and how sport can completely shape a person’s life.
Over the years, that journey led me from being a young City supporter isolated in the south, to writing for the official Manchester City programme, travelling the world following the club, meeting players I once idolised, and sharing those experiences with my son,

I’m incredibly proud to finally share this story -

Available in hardback, paperback, and Kindle on the link below and would really appreciate if you shared this.

Image


Best of luck with it, I'll enjoy reading that


That's great thank you I appreciate the support and would love to hear your feedback
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Sun Jul 05, 2026 7:25 am

Manchester City Nostalgia & Memorabilia Website – Coming Soon!

All of this week's orders have now been dispatched, and once again, a huge thank you for the incredible response and support you've shown for my new venture.

I'm really excited to say the website is coming soon and should be live by the end of next week. It's been brilliant putting it all together, and I can't wait to finally share it with you all. So, hopefully, I won't be driving you bonkers with sale posts on here much longer!

Putting everything together has been a real labour of love, especially with the player signings—I was like a kid at Christmas. The reality is that I'll need to sell quite a few items just to break even, but we're only here once, and if you don't give these things a go, you'll never know.

A massive thank you again to everyone who's ordered, shared, liked a post, or wished me well. The support from fellow Blues has been amazing, especially with the books, and it genuinely means more than you know.

I still have plenty of the following signed legends photos available at just £5 per photo or any five at £20

Joe Corrigan, Alan Oakes, Peter Barnes, Asa Hartford, Paul Lake, David White, Ian Brightwell, Kevin Hurlock, Nicky Weaver & Tommy Booth

Direct message to place an order.

Image
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Mase » Sun Jul 05, 2026 10:17 am

I got 5 of the sign pics from you via BlueMoon and I can recommend. My dad loved them for Father's Day
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision
 
Posts: 46716
Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:08 pm
Location: The North Pole.
Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Wed Jul 08, 2026 2:35 pm

Mase wrote:I got 5 of the sign pics from you via BlueMoon and I can recommend. My dad loved them for Father's Day


Perfect thanks mate
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm

Re: It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault

Postby Colin_Bell » Sun Oct 04, 2026 12:39 pm

Here’s an extract from 'It's All Mick McCarthy's Fault'

Chapter Six - Manchester Bound.

I’ve got a new batch of books in this week, so if anybody would like a copy, please feel free to get in touch. You can also order a copy through Amazon.

And once again, a massive thank you to everyone who has supported the book so far, and for all the brilliant reviews received on Amazon. It really is very much appreciated.


"The trains back then felt simpler — and definitely cheaper. Sixteen pounds return from Milton Keynes to Manchester, although it took around four hours. Not like today, where you can be there in under two. Back then, it felt like a proper journey.

For reasons I still don’t fully understand, I decided to get the eight o’clock train. I just couldn’t wait to go. This was an era when no one could contact you, and no one really knew where you were unless you told them. I could set off early in the morning and come home late at night, and nobody would have noticed I’d even been gone. That feels almost surreal now, but that was just how it was then. No mobile phones.

No tracking apps. No constant check-ins. Just freedom — or at least what felt like freedom at the time. Young, wild, and untethered, roaming where football took you.

The journey seemed endless, and I felt like a kid at Christmas, peering out of the window, hoping for some glimpse — any glimpse — of Maine Road as we pulled into Piccadilly.

My first arrival in the promised land. Of many, as it turned out — though I didn’t know that then.
I asked a man at the station the quickest way to get to Maine Road.
“P11 bus,” he said. “Just down to the right.”
Once on the bus, it felt like it took forever — though in reality it was probably ten or fifteen minutes. When I got off, I raced around.

The souvenir shop. The floodlights. The ground itself.

Mesmeric.

Totally hooked.

I wandered around in a daze, hardly believing I was actually there. This is my place. This is my home, I told myself.

As soon as the turnstiles opened, I was in — not realising I still had another hour or more to wait before kick-off. I ran up the steps into the stand, and there wasn’t a single person there.

It didn’t matter.

I just stood and looked. Watching the pitch. Watching Stan Gibson — the groundsman I already knew by name — making his final preparations. The surface looked a bit battered, if I’m honest. I’m fairly sure City had hosted a concert that summer, something I doubt Mr Gibson would have enjoyed much.
Slowly, the ground began to fill. And the feelings came rushing back — just like at Luton. The same faces. The same banter. Smoke drifting through the air. People talking football.

It felt right.

Everton at home. Howard Kendall’s former club. And several former Everton players lining up for City.
And at last — I was watching Manchester City in Manchester.

The chat. The noise. Just being in amongst my people. It was fantastic.

City won 1–0.

I can still see the goal now.

Tony Coton rolled it out to Paul Lake, the newly appointed skipper. Lake knocked it inside to David White, who clipped a perfect ball over the top. Adrian Heath — once an Everton man himself — ran on to it and calmly slotted it past the legendary Neville Southall.
What a goalkeeper he was. Someone I’d admired for years, but only ever from a distance. To see him there, in the flesh, made it even sweeter.

One–nil City.

Unbeaten on my debut.

First time at Maine Road.

First win.

It couldn’t get any better.

The feeling inside the Kippax — twenty-odd thousand packed in — was sensational. The surge when a goal went in. Or even when we attacked, when it felt like one might come. You could end up anywhere — arms everywhere, bodies flying, fat lips, bruises — all through sheer, unfiltered joy.

Every single person there for the same reason. The same purpose. All as one.
A massive family.
It was incredible.
And this was just the start.
I was only getting warmed up.
I didn’t want the game to end. Not ever. It felt like it could have gone on forever.

But when it did, the whole crowd simply turned as one. A surge of bodies moving towards the three exits, funnelled down the staircases. Thousands of people, packed tight, carried along by momentum rather than thought. And yet — not for a second did it feel dangerous. You just flowed with it. You always felt safe.
Outside, there they were — the newspaper sellers. Manchester Evening News. Match reports already printed, already being sold.

The game had just finished.

How was that even possible?

I stood there stunned. I could buy a report of the match I’d just watched. This was heaven. I couldn’t quite get my head around it.
I was armed with a few pennies in my pocket — hard-earned. I was still doing my paper round in the early mornings, then evenings and weekends working at Doyle’s Farm, delivering eggs and potatoes. Every bit of it funding my obsession.

Straight into the souvenir shop I went.
I went mad.

Programmes. Badges. Anything with Manchester City on it. I bought every programme I could see, anything I could get my hands on. I spent every penny I had that afternoon without a single regret.

It was also the first time I met Janice, a lovely lady who worked behind the counter. Years later, I learned she was actually the daughter of Stan Gibson, the groundsman. I’d go on to know her personally — and she was respected by everyone. Just another part of the fabric of the club.

The train journey home passed in the blink of an eye. I was buried in programmes, reading reports, soaking up information, studying fixture lists — already planning.

Planning the next City adventure.

I was on such a high, I felt like I could have floated all the way back from Manchester to Milton Keynes. I was so happy. I felt safe. Secure. Like I’d finally found where I was meant to be.
I honestly can’t remember how I got home from the station that night. I certainly didn’t have any money left for a taxi. I may well have walked the ten or twelve miles. It wouldn’t have mattered.

Nothing could touch me.

But as I reached the back door, the alleyway, the familiar sounds hit me before I even stepped inside.

My dad had gone into one. The kitchen being smashed up. My mum screaming. Him grabbing her by the throat.

Back to reality. And fast.
Why is it always like this?
Why do I have to be part of it?

I was sixteen years old, and it was insane. I was sick to death of it. More than ever, it cemented one thought in my head — I was getting away from this. I was moving to Manchester.
cbthelegend
Colin_Bell
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile
 
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:43 pm


Return to The Maine Football forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 453 guests