***Treble Winners v Wolves Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Treble Winners v Wolves Official Match Thread***

Postby johnny crossan » Sun May 05, 2024 12:57 pm

Indianablue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Indianablue wrote:Crying over spilt milk here. Games gone. Akanji has been a decent buy but he's a 7/10 and lacks the vision or skill to be better. Has rapidly become Pep's first choice, probably as a result of injuries we have had. He' ok but always manages to fuck up at some point in a game. Stones is a better player, he used to fuck up regularly in the early days, less noticeable now he is in midfield and injury has reduced his game time. Dias makes mistakes but he's a great defender. Unlike Stones and Dias, Akanji has never made me think he had a great game - good but not great. AKE on the other hand is a great player and better than all three
Akanji was without question a fantastic acquisition for us and without him and his speed there'd have been no treble and no double this season either (if it happens). Your low assessment of his quality is baffling tbh.

Not really a playmaker, has scored few goals, considered pacy but i''d have beaten him over 100yds in my prime so just decent, makes mistakes and has a low purchase price so considered bottom end by football, and a fair few on here are mystified how he's a first choice. He will never be a great. Hope this clarification makes it easy for you to understand. Be happy for you to list his attibutes and grade them
Are you talking about somebody else? Akanji is an elite international CB/RB/LB - what's with this 'playmaker'/'goalscorer' nonsense? The quickest player in our squad at 34.9 km/hr - Kyle is 33.5 btw.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Sun May 05, 2024 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Sun May 05, 2024 1:03 pm

Elite :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby johnny crossan » Sun May 05, 2024 1:06 pm

Mase wrote:Elite :lol:
Are you suggesting that he isn't? In which case why is he consistently picked by Pep ahead of Stones, Dias, Walker et al?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Outcast » Sun May 05, 2024 1:09 pm

zuricity wrote:
Outcast wrote:
zuricity wrote:^^^^^^^

Born in manc mate, where Manchattan now stands. If you know Manc at all

I am not a big fan of Akanji at all, but he gets stick from people like you, just because , well for whatever reason.

He seems to impress Pep. Pep keeps playing him. He makes mistakes, Stones and Ake recently have caused goals to be given away.

That made me chuckle :lol:

The irony of it all, I didn't mention Akanji in this thread, you brought it up and rammed it down my throat. Do you suffer from dementia?

Are you sure you are not suffering from memory loss ?

Didn't you write

" Are you Swiss, do you live in Switzerland, is Akanji your homeboy? It's the only explanation. ".
?
You are constantly complaining about him, seems to be a pet grievance with you

How about you scroll back to the start of this thread rather being selective, it's all there for everyone to see. I never mentioned Akanji, you brought it up. You are making yourself look like an idiot.
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Mase » Sun May 05, 2024 1:10 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Are you suggesting that he isn't? In which case why is he consistently picked by Pep ahead of Stones, Dias, Walker et al?

:lol: Class. Akanji is not one of the best defenders in the world, no. I like him, I think he’s a good player to have. But he’s not “elite”. He doesn’t get picked over Stones or Dias when they’re fully fit.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Sun May 05, 2024 1:17 pm

Mase wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

:lol: Class. Akanji is not one of the best defenders in the world, no. I like him, I think he’s a good player to have. But he’s not “elite”. He doesn’t get picked over Stones or Dias when they’re fully fit.
Wrong on both counts, he is among the word's best defenders and he is consistently selected as first choice on form not fitness.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Sun May 05, 2024 1:24 pm

Akanji isn't made of glass and he does have a turn of speed lacking in Stones, Dias, Gvardiol and Ake.

But if there's ever a day when everyone is fully fit (which I doubt), he won't start
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby johnny crossan » Sun May 05, 2024 1:34 pm

john@staustell wrote:Akanji isn't made of glass and he does have a turn of speed lacking in Stones, Dias, Gvardiol and Ake.

But if there's ever a day when everyone is fully fit (which I doubt), he won't start
Apart from yesterday, you mean?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Sun May 05, 2024 1:35 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Wrong on both counts, he is among the word's best defenders and he is consistently selected as first choice on form not fitness.

Do you mind if I save this? “He is among the worlds best defenders” is my favourite bit. Is he the Jack to your Mase?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Sun May 05, 2024 2:13 pm

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:Without Akanji there wouldn’t be the treble?! he did his best in the CL to fuck it up for us. TWICE!!!

He also was heavily involved in the winning goal with the lovely through ball to Bernardo

He made a pass, yes. Fuck me, if a footballer can’t make a pass what are they being paid for?!

A great pass that led to the winning goal in the Champions League Final
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Sun May 05, 2024 2:15 pm

stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:Without Akanji there wouldn’t be the treble?! he did his best in the CL to fuck it up for us. TWICE!!!

He also was heavily involved in the winning goal with the lovely through ball to Bernardo

He made a pass, yes. Fuck me, if a footballer can’t make a pass what are they being paid for?!

His pass didn’t lead to the winning goal. That was Bernardo.

You’ve been wrong with a bit of stuff recently. Are you okay? Nunes wasn’t player of the season for Wolves.
Last edited by Mase on Sun May 05, 2024 2:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Indianablue » Sun May 05, 2024 2:16 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Indianablue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Indianablue wrote:Crying over spilt milk here. Games gone. Akanji has been a decent buy but he's a 7/10 and lacks the vision or skill to be better. Has rapidly become Pep's first choice, probably as a result of injuries we have had. He' ok but always manages to fuck up at some point in a game. Stones is a better player, he used to fuck up regularly in the early days, less noticeable now he is in midfield and injury has reduced his game time. Dias makes mistakes but he's a great defender. Unlike Stones and Dias, Akanji has never made me think he had a great game - good but not great. AKE on the other hand is a great player and better than all three
Akanji was without question a fantastic acquisition for us and without him and his speed there'd have been no treble and no double this season either (if it happens). Your low assessment of his quality is baffling tbh.

Not really a playmaker, has scored few goals, considered pacy but i''d have beaten him over 100yds in my prime so just decent, makes mistakes and has a low purchase price so considered bottom end by football, and a fair few on here are mystified how he's a first choice. He will never be a great. Hope this clarification makes it easy for you to understand. Be happy for you to list his attibutes and grade them
Are you talking about somebody else? Akanji is an elite international CB/RB/LB - what's with this 'playmaker'/'goalscorer' nonsense? The quickest player in our squad at 34.9 km/hr - Kyle is 33.5 btw.

Elite is a fucking stretch. We're talking about Switzerland. So elite he cost us Just 15 mil. He hardly plays RB or LB for us. So he's often sweeper on the right.but his best game was when he supported Doku on the left recently. Rest of the time he sits middle of the opposition half. He aint the at dribbling or breaking the lines and he doesnt get goals. AKE has a better CV , goalscoring record and i may be so bold to say the Dutch are a better footballing nation than the Swiss. In your parlence Ake could be said to be Elite. I expect every player in our squad to be able to score and be capable of scoring considering our possession dominance. The reason Akanji cost only 15 million is that he is as good as he is going to get, he is good but aint great. Dare i say a journeyman international. Stones, Dias, Ake, Gvardiol are better. Laporte was much better as well
Indianablue
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Francis Lee

Postby Outcast » Sun May 05, 2024 2:21 pm

Akanji is jack of all trades but not great at one.

P.s Pep used to select Eric Garcia in defence regularly, he must world class by that admission.

World class? Seriously, give your heads a wobble
Outcast
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby stupot » Sun May 05, 2024 3:23 pm

Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:
Mase wrote:
stupot wrote:

His pass didn’t lead to the winning goal. That was Bernardo.

You’ve been wrong with a bit of stuff recently. Are you okay? Nunes wasn’t player of the season for Wolves.

It did lead to the winning goal. It was a great through ball to Bernardo, I'd put that previously. Sorry I was wrong about Nunes, how did Kova do yesterday
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mase » Sun May 05, 2024 3:33 pm

Against teams near the bottom Kova is great. Definitely a decent squad player and we paid his value - £25m
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Sun May 05, 2024 5:03 pm

Indianablue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
Indianablue wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Elite is a fucking stretch. We're talking about Switzerland. So elite he cost us Just 15 mil. He hardly plays RB or LB for us. So he's often sweeper on the right.but his best game was when he supported Doku on the left recently. Rest of the time he sits middle of the opposition half. He aint the at dribbling or breaking the lines and he doesnt get goals. AKE has a better CV , goalscoring record and i may be so bold to say the Dutch are a better footballing nation than the Swiss. In your parlence Ake could be said to be Elite. I expect every player in our squad to be able to score and be capable of scoring considering our possession dominance. The reason Akanji cost only 15 million is that he is as good as he is going to get, he is good but aint great. Dare i say a journeyman international. Stones, Dias, Ake, Gvardiol are better. Laporte was much better as well
If they play regularly for us they are elite, simple as that. Who do you think are genuine elite defenders then?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby blues2win » Sun May 05, 2024 5:39 pm

Akanji was very good value at 15 million.
blues2win
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Mase » Sun May 05, 2024 5:42 pm

blues2win wrote:Akanji was very good value at 15 million.

Absolutely ridiculous value at £15m! Hes more than paid us back
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby johnny crossan » Sun May 05, 2024 8:24 pm

Mase wrote:

Valverde cost Madrid €6m now has a release clause of €1billion - elite? Well he's on this list along with those Akanji consistently gets picked ahead of
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... world-2023
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Sun May 05, 2024 8:53 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mase wrote:

Valverde cost Madrid €6m now has a release clause of €1billion - elite? Well he's on this list along with those Akanji consistently gets picked ahead of
https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng ... world-2023

It's quite strange, watching tin tin before he joined us, whilst brilliant , he looked very skinny and leggy . Wirtz , without doubt has it all. Might need to bulk up a bit if he comes to City. Definite talent though.

Someone picked up earlier about Erik Garcia and how Pep played him. I must say , the games he's played for Girona this season, he's looked very good.

We all thought Doku looked great , but the reality is , he doesn't know when the pass to Erling ( or any one else ) is better than going alone.

Wirtz, is the third coming of Colin Bell , after Tin tin - def worth a punt to get him.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum