Pep Guardiola: Chasing Perfection

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pep Guardiola: Chasing Perfection

Postby Mase » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:35 am

Just seen a doc being released on BBC iPlayer about Pep.

Watch Pep Guardiola: Chasing Perfection on BBC One on Wednesday, 24 January at 22:40 GMT, or on iPlayer.

A new BBC documentary - Pep Guardiola: Chasing Perfection - dives deep into the mind of arguably football's greatest and most influential coach.

There are few superlatives left to describe 53-year-old Guardiola. In four years at Barcelona he won 14 trophies, including three La Liga, two Champions League and two Copa del Rey titles.

At Manchester City, he has won five Premier League trophies in six years and last season he became only the second manager in the English game to wrap up the Treble of Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League.

His brand of possession-based football has influenced the way the game is played all over Europe.

Chasing Perfection is an hour-long study into a footballing idealist. We hear from players he has coached, such as Manuel Neuer, Robert Lewandowski, Rodri and Kyle Walker.

We also get insights from top journalists and prominent figures in his coaching team past and present - such as Manchester City director of football Txiki Begiristain and former assistant manager Domenec Torrent.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Pep Guardiola: Chasing Perfection

Postby Plain Speaking » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:45 am

Thanks I will enjoy watching that!
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:00 pm

That will be interesting must take a look.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Mase » Wed Jan 24, 2024 3:34 pm

As always the BBC are focusing on the negative when it comes to City so a chunk of it is about how he didn’t play Rodri against Chelsea in the CL final :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:34 pm

Mase wrote:As always the BBC are focusing on the negative when it comes to City so a chunk of it is about how he didn’t play Rodri against Chelsea in the CL final :lol:

Still beggers belief that!

I reckon if we had of lost to inter the same questions would have happened about walker.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby stupot » Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:28 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
Mase wrote:As always the BBC are focusing on the negative when it comes to City so a chunk of it is about how he didn’t play Rodri against Chelsea in the CL final :lol:

I reckon if we had of lost to inter the same questions would have happened about walker.

But we didn't- just like we didn't lose to Bayern without him
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby MIAMCFC » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:18 am

As soon as I hear BBC I think fuck that.
MIAMCFC
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Mase » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:45 am

stupot wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:

But we didn't- just like we didn't lose to Bayern without him

Media would 100% have used it though. You know what they’re like.

Thankfully no brain farts this CL final!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Jan 25, 2024 3:09 pm

MIAMCFC wrote:As soon as I hear BBC I think fuck that.

The word ‘pedophile’ springs to mind when I hear the BBC being mentioned .
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby aaron bond » Thu Jan 25, 2024 4:22 pm

Thanks for sharing. Will check this out.

But can’t argue about Pep’s team selection in the 2021 CL Final. It was horrific. Every City fan knew we’d lost the moment the team was announced. I imagine the players did too.

We’ve more than made up for it since. But losing that final to a really shit Chelsea side is still painful.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:24 pm

aaron bond wrote:Thanks for sharing. Will check this out.

But can’t argue about Pep’s team selection in the 2021 CL Final. It was horrific. Every City fan knew we’d lost the moment the team was announced. I imagine the players did too.

We’ve more than made up for it since. But losing that final to a really shit Chelsea side is still painful.

He’d dropped Sterling towards the end of that season and it worked. We were playing good football.

He decided to force Sterling in which messed the whole team shape up and Foden was playing way out of position and we had no Fern or Rodri holding - Gundo was doing it and we know Gundo couldn’t do that role well enough against decent teams.

Just playing Sterling messed the whole system up and cost us. Thankfully he stuck with the team that got us to the final last year.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:38 pm

Was it worth a watch??
"Alvarez haters must be squirming"
Original Dub
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Haaland

Postby Dubciteh » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:01 am

Original Dub wrote:Was it worth a watch??

i thought it was abs brilliant myself. An hour and perfect. Made me also think he will go at the end of this or latest next season. We will be fucked for a while just like the dippers will be now.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Mase » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:04 am

Dubciteh wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Was it worth a watch??

i thought it was abs brilliant myself. An hour and perfect. Made me also think he will go at the end of this or latest next season. We will be fucked for a while just like the dippers will be now.

Will give it a watch this afternoon if our youngest goes down for a nap.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby stupot » Fri Jan 26, 2024 12:37 pm

A bit rushed for me, i know it's about him and not us but the length of time he's been here i'd have thought they'd have had more about the 100 points, domestic treble, the 2 neck and neck victories against Klopp and the treble.

Used to like Winter- what a prick.
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:22 pm

Watching Maidstone at Ipswich. The way Ipswich are playing - building from the back, not panicking, keeping possession, moving it from left to right from right to left. Anyone who thinks Pep has had no influence on football beyond the teams he’s managed is fuckin bonckers!

You’ve got teams trying the inverted fullbacks. Goalkeepers having to be class with the ball at their feet.

This is from Sunday league all the way up!

When did Fergie ever do that? Pep is on another level to everybody that’s come before.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:26 pm

Mase wrote:Watching Maidstone at Ipswich. The way Ipswich are playing - building from the back, not panicking, keeping possession, moving it from left to right from right to left. Anyone who thinks Pep has had no influence on football beyond the teams he’s managed is fuckin bonckers!

You’ve got teams trying the inverted fullbacks. Goalkeepers having to be class with the ball at their feet.

When did Fergie ever do that? Pep is on another level to everybody that’s come before.

I was recently watching a local team on the park playing fields. They were playing out from the back, trying to keep possession. Last time I watched this level of football it was lump the ball forward as soon as you get it. Just get rid and hope for a good bounce at the other end. Amazing really the influence Pep has had on football.
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire

Postby Mase » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:36 pm

Harry Dowd scored wrote:
Mase wrote:Watching Maidstone at Ipswich. The way Ipswich are playing - building from the back, not panicking, keeping possession, moving it from left to right from right to left. Anyone who thinks Pep has had no influence on football beyond the teams he’s managed is fuckin bonckers!

I was recently watching a local team on the park playing fields. They were playing out from the back, trying to keep possession. Last time I watched this level of football it was lump the ball forward as soon as you get it. Just get rid and hope for a good bounce at the other end. Amazing really the influence Pep has had on football.

When I was a kid it was “JUST BLOODY GET RID!!!!!” :lol:
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:39 pm

Mase wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:

When I was a kid it was “JUST BLOODY GET RID!!!!!” :lol:

Don’t forget. “And get stuck in”
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jan 27, 2024 1:47 pm

Remember about 6 years I saw a lad at work about 15 who was opening his first bank account. He played for Forest under 15s and we got chatting about football as you do. Forest had played City under 15s the week before and I said how was it as I’m a City fan

First of all he said the facilities at our Academy were unbelievable. The best he’d ever seen
And secondly he said the City under 15s played exactly how he had seen our first team play. And they were blown away, 4-0 down in about 20 minutes as at that age level they had never seen anything like it before

This will now be commonplace across loads of clubs and academies and is solely down to us and Pep. Continuing to ruin football
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum