***Wolves v Treble Winners Official Match Thread***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: ***Wolves v Treble Winners Official Match Thread***

Postby blues2win » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:13 pm

I agree that Nunes did ok. Kovacic was trying to thread through balls to Haaland and it just wasn’t working.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby stupot » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:28 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
stupot wrote:Kova was a liability yesterday- losing the ball for fun

I never said he wasn't , my gripe is subbing him off for Phillips was fuckign stupid......leaving an 80 million pound defender on the bench instead.

Genius move !

Gvardiol should have come on for Ake
stupot
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby blues2win » Sun Oct 01, 2023 4:44 pm

He should have been on from the start but in the absence of that he certainly should have come on at half time. Hopefully he’ll play against Leipzig along with Gvardiol.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 01, 2023 10:06 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Blue Jam wrote:My perspective: we were beginning to fade (due to fatigue) towards the end of last season.
FA Cup and CL were good results but jot classic performances.
And were trying to settle in new players, dealing with injuries...
Sure, some could've played better.
4 league titles on the trot is asking a lot.

A lot of sense there and it’s been a really difficult few years where the team have stepped up. But thinking that we’re done after one game is a bit premature. So many star players missing will always take its toll but I expect them to dig in once again and be fighting for the title.

If we had won today, it would've been our best start to a league campaign since the 19th century, so not all too shabby. We do look leggy, but we have a lot of senior players out, so I expect things to get better when Pep can rotate more without a big drop in quality.

Philips is obviously not the answer, but he's also being used as some general scape goat. Kova lost the ball countless of times in very dangerous positions today and contributed very little going forward. Nunes didn't set the world on fire either. Philips didn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he came on, but he didn't do worse than those two (and please watch the second goal from several angles, if you want to blame him for it). I also remember a decent cross that actually found Haaland (one of the few today), so he wasn't totally useless.

For me Ake's lack of pace was a huge problem today. If he's at left back, Akanji (who is rapid) really needs to help cover him at counters.

Up front we were way to static and Erling basically became a waste of space since he was marked too hard, and since we didn't have enough movement to create spaces for him. Maybe this was a game for a false nine approach, but honestly, we lack players to pull that off right now (Pep isn't gonna bench Haaland for Bobb).

Decent synopsis, mate. Cheers.

Was watching/listening on a Spanish stream, as was away, which didn’t give me the best of views of the game.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:42 am

mr_nool wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Blue Jam wrote:My perspective: we were beginning to fade (due to fatigue) towards the end of last season.
FA Cup and CL were good results but jot classic performances.
And were trying to settle in new players, dealing with injuries...
Sure, some could've played better.
4 league titles on the trot is asking a lot.

A lot of sense there and it’s been a really difficult few years where the team have stepped up. But thinking that we’re done after one game is a bit premature. So many star players missing will always take its toll but I expect them to dig in once again and be fighting for the title.

If we had won today, it would've been our best start to a league campaign since the 19th century, so not all too shabby. We do look leggy, but we have a lot of senior players out, so I expect things to get better when Pep can rotate more without a big drop in quality.

Philips is obviously not the answer, but he's also being used as some general scape goat. Kova lost the ball countless of times in very dangerous positions today and contributed very little going forward. Nunes didn't set the world on fire either. Philips didn't grab the game by the scruff of the neck when he came on, but he didn't do worse than those two (and please watch the second goal from several angles, if you want to blame him for it). I also remember a decent cross that actually found Haaland (one of the few today), so he wasn't totally useless.

For me Ake's lack of pace was a huge problem today. If he's at left back, Akanji (who is rapid) really needs to help cover him at counters.

Up front we were way to static and Erling basically became a waste of space since he was marked too hard, and since we didn't have enough movement to create spaces for him. Maybe this was a game for a false nine approach, but honestly, we lack players to pull that off right now (Pep isn't gonna bench Haaland for Bobb).
Ake is pretty quick but Netto is probably the quickest in the PL, both Wolves fullbacks not far behind too.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby blues2win » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:38 am

We knew Neto was quick before the match! If Ake was going to play LB he needed Grealish playing ahead of him to give defensive cover. Also Grealish retains the ball better than Doku. Really though Gvardiol should have started there or at least been brought on at half time. I get the impression that Kovacic was instructed to thread balls through to Haaland but it didn’t work and simply resulted in losing the ball. Nunes was actually OK in my view. A bit unlucky to be taken off.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:20 am

blues2win wrote:We knew Neto was quick before the match! If Ake was going to play LB he needed Grealish playing ahead of him to give defensive cover. Also Grealish retains the ball better than Doku. Really though Gvardiol should have started there or at least been brought on at half time. I get the impression that Kovacic was instructed to thread balls through to Haaland but it didn’t work and simply resulted in losing the ball. Nunes was actually OK in my view. A bit unlucky to be taken off.

Grealish was abysmal , same as the other day when he came on - and in any case , it wasn't a game where we needed to keep possession , we needed to move the ball quickly and we were shit at it.
If we are going to slate Foden off then Grealish certainly deserves a worse slagging off as he was just as bad.

To be honest ,the whole fucking set up was shit and Ill blame PeP for this...still fuming about his shit sub that he made , why the fuck he never brought on our 80 million pound new fuckign defender , Ill never understand.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby PeterParker » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:34 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
blues2win wrote:We knew Neto was quick before the match! If Ake was going to play LB he needed Grealish playing ahead of him to give defensive cover. Also Grealish retains the ball better than Doku. Really though Gvardiol should have started there or at least been brought on at half time. I get the impression that Kovacic was instructed to thread balls through to Haaland but it didn’t work and simply resulted in losing the ball. Nunes was actually OK in my view. A bit unlucky to be taken off.

Grealish was abysmal , same as the other day when he came on - and in any case , it wasn't a game where we needed to keep possession , we needed to move the ball quickly and we were shit at it.
If we are going to slate Foden off then Grealish certainly deserves a worse slagging off as he was just as bad.

To be honest ,the whole fucking set up was shit and Ill blame PeP for this...still fuming about his shit sub that he made , why the fuck he never brought on our 80 million pound new fuckign defender , Ill never understand.

To be honest, Gvardiol was terrible also vs Newcastle.
Neah, getting Phillips on was what turned the game. However, I think Kovacic was not fully fit so I understand why Phillips came in.

I can't blame Pep, to be honest, he gave them chances and they fail to deliver.
I think his only mistake was taking off Nunes.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:18 pm

Shit Happens :-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Outcast » Tue Oct 03, 2023 8:16 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Shit Happens :-)

Shit Pep
Shit players
Shit brummie tramps
Shit commentary
Shit week
Shit day at the office