Women's World Cup Final

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Women's World Cup Final

Postby Harry Dowd scored » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:36 am

patrickblue wrote:
Harry Dowd scored wrote:Good save keeper, are you watching Eddie :lol:

Totally shite penalty kick though. Even Eds might have got to that one.

Eddie save a pen :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Harry Dowd scored
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Derry/Londonderry/Doire/Maiden City - Originally from Hyde Cheshire
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:54 am

These lady commentators do like to play the blame game... and apparently 13 is "just a few minutes"
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby dick dastardley » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:58 am

Commentary woeful in this final
Support the badge, players come and go along with managers!!!
dick dastardley
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Aug 20, 2023 11:58 am

If I hear "unplayable" or "best version of" one more time I'm switching the sound off.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby hyper » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:00 pm

Painful isn't it. In the last two instances we've literally handed possession to Spain too, only for them to be touted "unplayable".
hyper
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby john@staustell » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:01 pm

Not sure this American ref is particularly unbiased
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby CTID Hants » Sun Aug 20, 2023 12:05 pm

john@staustell wrote:Not sure this American ref is particularly unbiased

Absolutely diabolical officiating, that said after they conceded they lost faith and panicked
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:00 pm

Spain worthy winners, thought they played some lovely stuff.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:19 am

Happy Pep - The Ladies of Spain deserved WC winners.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby dazby » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:40 am

Spain were fantastic. England were brilliant. It was a great tournament.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:36 pm

Lots of talk about parity in pay for the women’s team. Should the men’s game offset the women’s team just so we can show equality or should we see them as separate entities, based on their respective revenues?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:41 pm

dazby wrote:Spain were fantastic. England were brilliant. It was a great tournament.

Thought it was like us playing Stoke, on a rainy day …

We were fairly poor for the whole tournament and scraped through with courage and heart. Technically, we were very poor and against Spain, who’ve been technically brilliant, we had to rough them up and not allow them to play.

It was a close game but if I had to pick a deserved winner, Spain would be it.

Don’t see why we can’t celebrate though, European Champions and 2nd in the WC, we have come on a long way since that Rag, RatFaced cunt fucked it all up.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Aug 21, 2023 11:47 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Lots of talk about parity in pay for the women’s team. Should the men’s game offset the women’s team just so we can show equality or should we see them as separate entities, based on their respective revenues?

I’m no expert, but I think at international level we should get close to equal. Let’s face it it’s not coming away from the men, but out of the pockets of billionaires. International money isn’t a drop compared to club wages either.

Club wages are a different matter entirely and I think it would be nice to have a full time minimum but I couldn’t justify equal pay when there’s nothing equal about what the men get. Cole Palmer isn’t going to get what KdB gets is he?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:20 am

I’ve not watched any matches from this tournament so interested to know what the standard like? I know Wrexham went over and smashed a womens team in the US in pre season. So what would the level be compared to in the men’s game? Below the conference?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby dazby » Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:32 am

Mase wrote:I’ve not watched any matches from this tournament so interested to know what the standard like? I know Wrexham went over and smashed a womens team in the US in pre season. So what would the level be compared to in the men’s game? Below the conference?

that was Man United Mase. :-)
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:52 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Lots of talk about parity in pay for the women’s team. Should the men’s game offset the women’s team just so we can show equality or should we see them as separate entities, based on their respective revenues?

I’m no expert, but I think at international level we should get close to equal. Let’s face it it’s not coming away from the men, but out of the pockets of billionaires. International money isn’t a drop compared to club wages either.

Club wages are a different matter entirely and I think it would be nice to have a full time minimum but I couldn’t justify equal pay when there’s nothing equal about what the men get. Cole Palmer isn’t going to get what KdB gets is he?

I'm in the same boat. However, there's a deeper issue with that, which journalists have ignored: the amount clubs are paid to release players for World Cup duty, which is a major component of international football finance. For the 2022 (men's) World Cup, this was around £9000 per day (from a pot of just under £200 million). If international football was truly equal, then that's a crazy amount of money going into the women's club game. To take an example, if a club in the French women's 2nd division had signed two players from Morocco, that'd be something in the region of £450K they'd have been getting for the women's World Cup just gone, which would totally imbalance competition. Clubs would be signing players in the hope they get called up for international duty, just to fill their coffers, rather than signing the best talents, because the prize/TV/sponsorship money in the women's game is so small.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:03 am

Mase wrote:I’ve not watched any matches from this tournament so interested to know what the standard like? I know Wrexham went over and smashed a womens team in the US in pre season. So what would the level be compared to in the men’s game? Below the conference?

I used to watch women's football semi-regularly when I lived in Bosnia (because there's no alcohol ban in the grounds, unlike the men's game). Players had more time on the ball, and the individual skills on show were better, but players were more prone to panic/cluster. Goalkeepers are shorter, which makes for more 'spectacular' shot-stopping saves (Shay Given springs to mind). The best Bosnian women's team would get smashed by pretty much any men's village team (4th or 5th level on the pyramid), but that's more due to physicality than skill. The football on show was better than the men's second tier (and a decent proportion of first-tier games) for a spectator.

Overall, you can't compare: I'm sure the Harlem Globetrotters would get destroyed by some Lithuanian 2nd division basketball team, but - if I were a basketball fan - I'd rather watch the Harlem Globetrotters perform than some teams I've never heard of from towns I've never heard of.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:06 am

BlueinBosnia wrote:

I used to watch women's football semi-regularly when I lived in Bosnia (because there's no alcohol ban in the grounds, unlike the men's game). Players had more time on the ball, and the individual skills on show were better, but players were more prone to panic/cluster. Goalkeepers are shorter, which makes for more 'spectacular' shot-stopping saves (Shay Given springs to mind). The best Bosnian women's team would get smashed by pretty much any men's village team (4th or 5th level on the pyramid), but that's more due to physicality than skill. The football on show was better than the men's second tier (and a decent proportion of first-tier games) for a spectator.

Overall, you can't compare: I'm sure the Harlem Globetrotters would get destroyed by some Lithuanian 2nd division basketball team, but - if I were a basketball fan - I'd rather watch the Harlem Globetrotters perform than some teams I've never heard of from towns I've never heard of.

This is a great post.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:21 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:

This is a great post.

You work(ed) in womens football didn’t you Lee? What’s your thoughts? What level are they at now do you think?

I’m interested because when I took my daughter about a year and a half ago the standard was awful (goalkeepers diving 10 seconds after the ball went passed them etc) and I’m wondering if it has improved or not?
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:29 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

I’m no expert, but I think at international level we should get close to equal.Let’s face it it’s not coming away from the men, but out of the pockets of billionaires. International money isn’t a drop compared to club wages either.

surely it again comes down to the revenue that they generate?
in the weeks leading up to the competition, fifa were moaning that the european tv companies weren't coughing up big bucks to show the games
then there's ticket prices - can't imagine prices for the tournament just gone were even 50% of what fifa (rightly / wrongly) charged for the games in qatar
brands / sponsorship - i think that this is where the opportunity is for the women's game particularly in the wsl... they could stop piggy backing of the mens deal and find their own specific, hopefully more lucrative deals.
there's nothing sexist about my views on women's football... other than the city 1st team i have very little interest in the results of the other boys/youth/eds teams at city - i like to know that we have players coming through but if they win or lose i don't really care.... same goes for the england 1st team and then the u21/u20s etc...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum