Things that Pep needs to sort out

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Things that Pep needs to sort out

Postby Wooders » Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:54 pm

sheblue wrote:Pep needs to figure out a different way to play, because everybody else has figured his way of playing.
And it doesn't change enough.

I don’t agree here - he needs to go back to how we played before! It’s his latest possession tactic that is killing us
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby sheblue » Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:50 pm

Wooders wrote:
sheblue wrote:Pep needs to figure out a different way to play, because everybody else has figured his way of playing.
And it doesn't change enough.

I don’t agree here - he needs to go back to how we played before! It’s his latest possession tactic that is killing us

Eh! That's what I think. He needs to change it.
Maybe play a 352.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:00 pm

Another take I found - most points have already been pointed out by me and some other posters but nonetheless , its another point of view.

Already eight points adrift of Tottenham, City’s weekend conquerors and Liverpool, last season’s nemesis, there are signs that Guardiola needs to go back to the drawing board.

Has he been found out? Do his methods still work? Will he display the same stubbornness as a previous revolutionary Premier League manager in Arsene Wenger, who refused doggedly to compromise his philosophy of how the game should be played?

Given his tinkering in last season’s Champions League when City exited to Olympique Lyonnais, it suggests he’s somewhat more flexible than the Frenchman, but only because his sometimes fathomless Euro alterations led many to believe that Pep was actually second-guessing himself.
Guardiola seems not to be evolving, a criticism traditionally more often levelled at the man he lost to on Sunday and who leads him 4-3 in English football head to heads.

His City side still create chances and possess the ball of course, but other weaknesses undermine the positives. The lack of a consistent striker for one, undoubtedly they miss Aguero.

Fernandinho now 35, sees limited playing time, and City mainly in Rodri or Gundogan has not yet found the Brazilian’s holding midfield successor while those behind just don’t seem solid enough.

When City attack, get so far forward and loose the ball, if the opponent can break their press, all of a sudden Guardiola’s team is more vulnerable defensively than before. And if Pep cannot solve that with the players he has available he’ll buy to fix the problem. I doubt if resolution would ever lead to a change in strategy or tactics.

But another aspect which may be affecting his players is the sheer intensity with which the Catalan operates. You don’t simply have to be playing well to remain in his teams, you have to be over-performing. His attention to detail is so great, you can be winning 3-0 and pulverizing the opposition, yet he’ll pull a player over and highlight some minor issue because it’s not perfect.
We saw it with Raheem Sterling in the 2019 FA Cup final when City pummelled Watford. Sterling was having a field day, yet Guardiola still felt it necessary to take the player aside and make a point around some minor adjustment or other.

The game of football is incredibly physically and mentally demanding these days, one can only imagine playing for Pep, and forever seeking perfection, to be mentally draining.

Is this why Pep’s cycles at his two previous clubs lasted precisely, three seasons? Did he realize the concentrated influence he brought to bear could not be tolerated 100% by a squad of top players for a longer time period?

Pep clearly has an ego. He likes to be in control. But he’s going through an uncertain time and appears to be seeking answers from within himself. He’s heard the criticism and may be compounding his and City’s problems by resisting too many changes in the interests of avoiding accusations of second-guessing himself. Put simply Guardiola doesn’t wish to show people that the deep-thinker is perhaps over-thinking things.
No-one will know better than Guardiola that he needs to affect change however. His team are not close to the level of their all-conquering (although not in Europe) 2018/19 season. He’s already spent a lot of money, but won’t hesitate to spend more if he doesn’t get the perfection demanded from his players.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby RodneyRodney » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:57 am

1. The scouting system - we're wasting far too much dosh on over-rated CRAP
2. Purge the physio room - something is wrong in there - we're loosing far too much player availability.
3. Ditch the new no. 2
4. Bring some kids through - try Doyle instead of Rodri - for instance. Give them - Delap, Palmer, etc. a decent chance - 5/6 games .
After being spoilt for the last few years , I can live with a season or two of inconsistency and relative underachievement IF I see
progress and transformation.
As stated elsewhere, Pep's never had to do a team REBUILD - NOW is his challenge to do this -
and I want to see the academy used as much as possible ; Foden's established himself - there are others that should follow.

5. Game management - Have a plan B & a plan C , try a different formation - 3 5 2 -
play orthodox instead of inverted wingers - whatever - something.
And USE 5 subs if you keep nagging on about wanting them.

6. Bin this double pivot crap - it DOESN'T WORK , Pep . Gundogan and especially Rodri (62m Stg!!??) look lethargic in this "system".

7. Replace Kun. WHY hasn't this been done yet ?
8. Flog Mahrez - shouldn't have bought him in the first place.
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby sheblue » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:10 am

Lots of talk about a rebuild. What rebuild? We dont need a massive overhaul.
We need at a striker and a proper No 6.
Probably a left back as well. Then we need to play the players in their correct positions.
This talk of a rebuild suggests most of the the players are past their best. That is nonsense.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby salford city » Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:58 am

sheblue wrote:Lots of talk about a rebuild. What rebuild? We dont need a massive overhaul.
We need at a striker and a proper No 6.
Probably a left back as well. Then we need to play the players in their correct positions.
This talk of a rebuild suggests most of the the players are past their best. That is nonsense.

This is where I am. We need to find an answer to the No.6 role. Rodri whilst I rate him, isn't it. Doyle may be a shout longer term but the problem cannot wait that long. I do think Doyle should be under study and be getting game time though. Left back may end up as Ake if we can get him ion the pitch for a spell which would leave Cancelo to go back to right back. Cancello may not be as quick as Walker but he is technically a better player who offers more going forward and has better positioning. How we have left Sergio's replacement can only be due to financial circumstances, if Messi is all speculation, then we have got to go balls out this summer and find that striker.
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Wooders » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:08 am

He hasn’t put together a very cohesive set of players in this very expensive “rebuild“ he has performed
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby City64 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 9:43 am

Agree with most of the above and Rodney Rodney makes some valid points .
Biggest issues for me .......
1, Our number 2 is useless and a decline started when he arrived after Arteta leaving .
2, We need another Marquee striker , Haaland ?
3, We don’t press anymore because our midfield is full of lightweights.
4, We lack another world class midfielder.
5,Serious lack of leaders .

An alarming slide absolutely!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:07 am

City64 wrote:Agree with most of the above and Rodney Rodney makes some valid points .
1, Our number 2 is useless and a decline started when he arrived after Arteta leaving .
3, We don’t press anymore because our midfield is full of lightweights.
4, We lack another world class midfielder.
5,Serious lack of leaders .

An alarming slide absolutely!

1 PeP picked him and he wont be sacking his best mate any time soon.
2 PeP should have bought him a while back and now he will be out of our price range (Most lethal striker in world football today)
3 PeP keeps playing Rodri and Gundo so dotn expect any changes at all
4 Whilst we have Gundo we wont be signing anyone else in that position , IMO.
5 True

Its an alarming lack of managing that's costing us and deep down PeP must know hes fucked up and needs to change things around - the post I posted further above says it all.

I will add that unless PeP drops Walker and KDB he will burn them out completely - they are both fucked (Thats what PeP does to players , he burns them out and there is proof of this)

Cancelo , Dias , Laporte , Ake ---- these players in defense need to be the first names on the list from the next match onwards.

Fernandhino in front and Foden in front of him.

The rest is up for chop and changing but PeP needs to stick with a formula that has some continuity...especially the above mentioned players.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby RodneyRodney » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:16 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
City64 wrote:Agree with most of the above and Rodney Rodney makes some valid points .

2 PeP should have bought him a while back and now he will be out of our price range (Most lethal striker in world football today)

...instead of blowing 62mill on Rodri
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Postby dave watson's perm » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:27 am

But did he not say himself that he needed to "earn a new contract" or words to that effect?? If he thinks he's done enough to earn a 2 year extension based on the dross served up currently then we're in trouble.
dave watson's perm
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Paul Power

Postby blues2win » Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:43 pm

One thing that’s obvious is that players are getting knackered playing game after game. Walker and de Bruyne out of the travelling squad to Olypiacos, it seems.
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

Postby Hazy2 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:41 pm

blues2win wrote:One thing that’s obvious is that players are getting knackered playing game after game. Walker and de Bruyne out of the travelling squad to Olypiacos, it seems.

All teams face the same we have dried up on the goals. Big problem that needs solving.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby salford city » Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:16 pm

blues2win wrote:One thing that’s obvious is that players are getting knackered playing game after game. Walker and de Bruyne out of the travelling squad to Olypiacos, it seems.

Good to hear. Both in need of the rest
salford city

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:28 am

Dortmund are clearly warming Haaland up for a top club. We should be/have been all over that.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Mase » Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:46 am

london blue 2 wrote:Dortmund are clearly warming Haaland up for a top club. We should be/have been all over that.

I don’t see what we didn’t buy him and loan him out if we thought he wasn’t ready
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:12 am

Mase wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Dortmund are clearly warming Haaland up for a top club. We should be/have been all over that.

I don’t see what we didn’t buy him and loan him out if we thought he wasn’t ready

The same reason we still kept Mendy and sent Angelino to play really good. We are clowns.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby salford city » Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:50 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Mase wrote:

The same reason we still kept Mendy and sent Angelino to play really good. We are clowns.

I think it is more that Pep may not fancy him? From the outside as i have seen very little of him, he looks a natural scoring machine. As crazy as that sounds, thats not enough for Pep. It is EXACTLY what we need and its got to be him or m-bop that we should be in for.
That said, we all know who will be first in the door - forget all the soundbites about barca for life......
salford city

Postby nottsblue » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:53 pm

We always seem to try to over complicate things

Heard a phrase the other day which is quite apt

“Don’t let perfect be the enemy of good”

Sometimes good is enough
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:19 am

Lescott told BT Sport on Wednesday: 'Every time you watch Phil play, his sense of space and awareness is so unique. You can't coach it, he gets away from people so easily.

'He's a natural talent. He has a great energy that he brings to the team. He plays with so much energy and passion.

'Only Pep will know (why he's not getting in the Premier League team).
Creating moments like that will help. It does bode well for him that he's getting more minutes.

'He's becoming the go-to guy for City, like against West Ham when he came on and changed the game.'

The 20-year-old has failed to start in City's last league games and has played just 27 minutes of Premier League football since the end of October.

Banging the drum again Hazy..I'm banging the drum again...there again , so are respected ex players !!!
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum