Our Defenders

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Our Defenders

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:27 am

PeterParker wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
sheblue wrote:If we want to win the title back next season we need to get rid of, mendy, zinch, stones and otter.
They are all just not good enough. It fact fucking abysmal.
I would sign the Napoli lad hes class and he could get 4 + good years out of him.

Then get a proper full back. A decent one who can defend, not like the two useless cunts we have, one is a court jester and the other a mid table light weight midfielder. Its laughable how shit they are.

We wont be consistent enough in the league with a bit part ramshackle makeshift defence. This season has proved that.

Even if we did replace all of them , baldie will still put Fernandhino at the back now and again.

Maybe it comes down to his assistants also. I wonder if any of them pointed this issue with Fern out, or even if he listens to them.
Arteta looks clueless for me, I don't think he ever said: Pep, we should play Fern on his usual position and let's not fuck around with the defence that much.

Maybe he did. And that’s why he’s now at Arsenal. Maybe Pep wants a yes man. Be surprised, but the defence still isn’t right after four years and hundreds of millions pounds spent on it. It’s well documented Pep loves midfielders but sometimes overthinking things doesn’t work. Football can be a simple game at times and thus doing simple things like having defenders who can defend, midfielders who control the pace of the game and create chances for forwards who convert these into goals, is overlooked. We have midfielders in defence who act like midfielders and defenders who act like wingers and neglect their defensive duties. This works against most teams but up against the best we have been found wanting.

Sounds daft but I think we are in for a season or two of challenging for the PL title rather than winning it. There are just too many fixes needed for this close season. We are still the second best side and we are a good cup outfit so we still have much to look forward to
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PeterParker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:40 am

nottsblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
sheblue wrote:If we want to win the title back next season we need to get rid of, mendy, zinch, stones and otter.
I would sign the Napoli lad hes class and he could get 4 + good years out of him.

Then get a proper full back. A decent one who can defend, not like the two useless cunts we have, one is a court jester and the other a mid table light weight midfielder. Its laughable how shit they are.

We wont be consistent enough in the league with a bit part ramshackle makeshift defence. This season has proved that.

Even if we did replace all of them , baldie will still put Fernandhino at the back now and again.

Maybe it comes down to his assistants also. I wonder if any of them pointed this issue with Fern out, or even if he listens to them.
Arteta looks clueless for me, I don't think he ever said: Pep, we should play Fern on his usual position and let's not fuck around with the defence that much.

Maybe he did. And that’s why he’s now at Arsenal. Maybe Pep wants a yes man. Be surprised, but the defence still isn’t right after four years and hundreds of millions pounds spent on it. It’s well documented Pep loves midfielders but sometimes overthinking things doesn’t work. Football can be a simple game at times and thus doing simple things like having defenders who can defend, midfielders who control the pace of the game and create chances for forwards who convert these into goals, is overlooked. We have midfielders in defence who act like midfielders and defenders who act like wingers and neglect their defensive duties. This works against most teams but up against the best we have been found wanting.

Sounds daft but I think we are in for a season or two of challenging for the PL title rather than winning it. There are just too many fixes needed for this close season. We are still the second best side and we are a good cup outfit so we still have much to look forward to

Going further on Arteta, I somewhat agree that he needs time, but I think he will not make it. I recall when he was in charge vs Lyon and I think that was our worst game in the last three years and we had some howlers.
I think the reason he is as Arsenal is that a lot of teams try to sign the assistant of a big manager in order to emulate the succes. Huddersfield tried with Wagner, Norwich with the Falkor or how the fuck is he called and so on. Recall that Klopps sacked assistent was favorite to take on Arsenal manager position at some point two summers ago. Small club mentality if you ask me.

Now, agree on that (what you said about Pep) but don't you think he might use Fern there in order to force the hand of the owners to buy another defender? I think Khaldoon is a bit sceptical thinking at the amount of defence flops we had and who were shit.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby salford city » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 am

It was a big gamble dropping Fern back to CB whilst also trying to bed in his replacement. We then almost game by game compound it by swapping the rest of the defensive line. I can see the sense in resting the wing backs in a 3-5-2 but he seems to want to pair CBs depending on who we are playing.
Maybe we are looking at Laporte and another big money CB but if so, leave it the fuck alone for the league and rotate in the domestic cups.
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:52 am

PeterParker wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Going further on Arteta, I somewhat agree that he needs time, but I think he will not make it. I recall when he was in charge vs Lyon and I think that was our worst game in the last three years and we had some howlers.
I think the reason he is as Arsenal is that a lot of teams try to sign the assistant of a big manager in order to emulate the succes. Huddersfield tried with Wagner, Norwich with the Falkor or how the fuck is he called and so on. Recall that Klopps sacked assistent was favorite to take on Arsenal manager position at some point two summers ago. Small club mentality if you ask me.

Now, agree on that (what you said about Pep) but don't you think he might use Fern there in order to force the hand of the owners to buy another defender? I think Khaldoon is a bit sceptical thinking at the amount of defence flops we had and who were shit.

Be a risky strategy to purposefully play our rock in DM who is the glue in the side at centre half to make a point. Khaldoon isn’t a mug or a rookie. He has eyes and is very intelligent and will have cast his eyes over at the dippers who have literally cantered to the PL this season whilst having a solid defence on the back of success in the CL as well. Pep is the highest paid manager in the world and has been allowed to buy numerous defenders. At some point the chairman will simply say no you cant habe any more money for a defender, use what you have got.
nottsblue

Postby zuricity » Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:46 am

Fern will play less and less - he looks basically knackered now. The odd cameo role next season - his last.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby PeterParker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:56 am

Saw that we were linked with Mason Colgate from Everton

Is he decent?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:04 pm

PeterParker wrote:Saw that we were linked with Mason Colgate from Everton

Is he decent?

No. Spent last season on loan at WBA because he wasn’t good enough. Saw him give away a free kick right on the edge of the box against Norwich with a rash tackle for no reason. He’s worse than Stones.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Is he decent?

No, but he has lovely white teeth
nottsblue

Postby PeterParker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:23 pm

nottsblue wrote:

Is he decent?

Finally. I was hoping for a comment from Mase also, but seems he has eyes only for Kola jokes.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Mase » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:39 pm

PeterParker wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Is he decent?

Finally. I was hoping for a comment from Mase also, but seems he has eyes only for Kola jokes.

There’s no joking when it comes to Kolarov. He’s the greatest player we’ve ever been graced with.

He’s also better than Mendy
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:40 pm

Mase wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Is he decent?

There’s no joking when it comes to Kolarov. He’s the greatest player we’ve ever been graced with.

Kola would eat Mendy on a plate.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:49 pm

Mase wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Is he decent?

I’m better than Mendy
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Blue Noodle » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:21 pm

Inter are in for Hakimi for €40m. Wouldn't have thought Real would let him go. We should be all over that deal. Flog Mendy to Inter or Dortmund.
Blue Noodle
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby PeterParker » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:57 pm

Huge improvement.

There are still things needed to be solved, but what do you think is the reason? Ruby? Ake? Stones staying fit? Or Pep making amends?
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Dec 11, 2020 1:13 pm

PeterParker wrote:Huge improvement.

There are still things needed to be solved, but what do you think is the reason? Ruby? Ake? Stones staying fit? Or Pep making amends?

Dias has already made a huge difference, solid, no nonsense, and not afraid to let his voice be heard.

He won City player of the month for November.

I think another factor that shouldn't be overlooked is balance. Last season there was none, no left footers available so passing out from the back was always laboured, it's more fluid now with players playing on their preferred sides so everything is that little bit sharper.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby City64 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:21 pm

Best defence we have had for a long time , Dias outstanding and fitting in immediately is absolutely huge and great credit to him . Ake is going to be a proper player for us , him and Dias both leaders which is something we have badly lacked . Stones coming back to form at long last also , Walkers pace also vital but he is prone to a brain fart every game and Cancelo has improved really well . Mendy will probably get injured again in a game or two :lol:
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:45 pm

Dias.

Its that simple
nottsblue

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:17 pm

nottsblue wrote:

Dias.

Its that simple

Spot on that.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby salford city » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:34 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Dias.

Its that simple

Spot on that.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ake get a run at left back see how/ if that works
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:10 pm

salford city wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Dias.

Its that simple

Spot on that.

Wouldn't mind seeing Ake get a run at left back see how/ if that works

Keeper 4 dependables sorted. The return of the real John Stones. Shows we just needed last season over to reset.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum