Our Defenders

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Our Defenders

Postby City64 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:39 am

Not a knee jerk thread by any means BUT our defensive woes cost us yet again last night contributing to our 8th PL loss , this is totally unacceptable for a club of our stature and needs to be addressed ASAP. Major overhaul of our defence will require imho Mendy Stones Zinchenko Cancelo being sold this summer , a top quality CB and LB brought in and same with a RB . Major overhaul indeed but imperative if we are to move forward .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Our Defenders

Postby Wooders » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:49 am

Pep only cares about midfielders though so don’t expect anything revolutionary
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby City64 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:55 am

Wooders wrote:Pep only cares about midfielders though so don’t expect anything revolutionary

One of the best midfielders in the world playing cb all season suggests you are absolutely right .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby PeterParker » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:10 am

I really think that Garcia is one in a generation.
He reminds me of oldschool sweeper from the 90s, calm as fuck under pressure.

Look at Phil. He was played this season and delivered a lot because he got games.

I think our left side is really something we need to solve. Mendy and Zinch are not what we need.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby aaron bond » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:15 am

Hopefully Garcia has a run alongside Laporte for the rest of the season. We know Otamendi and Stones are not good enough so no need to play them unless Laporte/Garcia need a rest.

I'd like to see Fern back in midfield when Laporte/Garcia are playing together. I know Fern is in the final stages of his career with us but we've massively missed his presence in midfield this season. We want to push on and target the FA Cup and Champions League and he can make a big difference for us there.

I mentioned in another thread but I think we should look at Alaba at Bayern this summer, potentially tying him into a deal for Sane. He can play CB or LB, he's played under Pep before, and he only has 1 year left on his contract. He's only turned 28 recently too so still has a few years left for a defender.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Mase » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:20 am

We keep looking at spending tens of millions on finding a world class left back. Why don’t we just look at a left back that’s decent and can do the job? Look at Liverpool with Robertson. United have that Williams coming through.

Don’t spend £80 million on Ben Chilwell ffs. Our scouts need to earn their money and just recommend someone that can do the job.

Playing Fern CB just to force Rodri in the team has been Pep’s biggest downfall this season btw.
Last edited by Mase on Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 am

Mase wrote:
Playing Fern CB just to force Rodri in the team has been Pep’s biggest downfall this season btw.

This.
That was the reason he was sent off so much this season also.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby nottsblue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:14 am

Old school thought. Play a settled back four. The players will learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses, when to cover, when to go forward, make angles for the pass etc. Playing with different personnel every single game does not help, indeed its to the detriment of the side
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby City64 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:46 am

nottsblue wrote:Old school thought. Play a settled back four. The players will learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses, when to cover, when to go forward, make angles for the pass etc. Playing with different personnel every single game does not help, indeed its to the detriment of the side

It’s a difficult one to keep a settled back four as we are usually fighting on all fronts which means loads of games and absolute need to rotate. Bin dippers chuck a couple of cup tournaments to focus on PL and CL and basically play the same 11 or 12 players week in week in out because their squad is piss poor and lacks depth. TAA and Robertson deffo drug cheating with the miles they clock up !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Sideshow Bob » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:50 am

zinchenko is a shadow of the player he was last season. mendy is hopeless. i agree we just need an ok/competent replacement for both, not a world beater.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby ENIAM NAM » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:45 pm

Koulibaly for £72m according to reports today.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:53 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:Koulibaly for £72m according to reports today.

Like him he has the tools.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:35 pm

Mase wrote:We keep looking at spending tens of millions on finding a world class left back. Why don’t we just look at a left back that’s decent and can do the job? Look at Liverpool with Robertson. United have that Williams coming through.

Don’t spend £80 million on Ben Chilwell ffs. Our scouts need to earn their money and just recommend someone that can do the job.

Rodri hasn't filled Fernandinho's boots at all, needs to sharpen up, everything is too laboured with him.

As much as the defence is a problem the intensity is just not there across the board, we're being countered on far too easily.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Mase » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:41 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mase wrote:We keep looking at spending tens of millions on finding a world class left back. Why don’t we just look at a left back that’s decent and can do the job? Look at Liverpool with Robertson. United have that Williams coming through.

Rodri hasn't filled Fernandinho's boots at all, needs to sharpen up, everything is too laboured with him.

As much as the defence is a problem the intensity is just not there across the board, we're being countered on far too easily.

Agreed. Like a knife through butter. Its down to Fern not being in DM and making those “tactical” fouls that other fans moan about. He breaks up the play brilliantly.

Rodri has shown glimpses. I’m more than happy to give him another season - if you look at Fred now he’s got used to the Prem he’s not a bad player for United. So I’m hopeful for Rodri. My worry is though that’s he’s more of a Barry type player, and Barry could get away with it because he had De Jong next to him. That DM position for us leaves the person doing it vulnerable
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:44 pm

Where is Garcia?

Laporte
Koulibaly
Garcia
Walker
Zinch
New LB
Otter as 4th choice
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:44 pm

Although we could be doing much better at the back, i don't think the problem rests solely with the personnel. We commit to many men ahead of the ball high up the field, leaving the field wide open if we lose the ball. We used to combat this with the little pull backs to stop the flow but we are now getting instant yellow cards for that.

Pep will see the solution to either drop the defenders a bit deeper and if the full backs push on a midfielder drops deeper, something similar to what liverpool do, or improve the quality of the midfielders so that we dont turn the ball over so often, something similar to what Barca used to do, but they were kings of the cynical foul!
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby salford city » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:46 pm

Alaba is a good shout as were are going to do business with those cnuts . Garcia needs to play alongside Laporte for the remainder of the season and put Fern back in the middle. I'd keep Cancelo but he needs to play. We have had some shocking defensive buys and that CB at Napoli would be another risky one.
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:12 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia at defensive midfield at some point. Not yet though.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Mase » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:14 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia at defensive midfield at some point Not yet though.

Good shout.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hazy2 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:37 pm

Mase wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:I wouldn't mind seeing Garcia at defensive midfield at some point Not yet though.

Good shout.

+1
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum