Pep making a point with 352?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pep making a point with 352?

Postby Fidel Castro » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:23 pm

Just crossed my mind that Pep may be trying to make a point to the board playing 352? IF it is going to be out main formation this season, we will definitely need more cover at CB and another striker.

I really hope we do mainly play 4231, but the need for an extra CB and striker would not be as blatantly obvious. Wouldn't surprise me if Pep did get those couple of signings, he will switch back to the system we played last season.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Re: Pep making a point with 352?

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:55 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Just crossed my mind that Pep may be trying to make a point to the board playing 352? IF it is going to be out main formation this season, we will definitely need more cover at CB and another striker.

I really hope we do mainly play 4231, but the need for an extra CB and striker would not be as blatantly obvious. Wouldn't surprise me if Pep did get those couple of signings, he will switch back to the system we played last season.

Our second string against Girona proved how light we are in both positions. If we plan to play two up front its madness to only have two strikers for the season and likewise not enough cover at the back.

I dont think its pep trying to prove a point though as he seems to have the running of the club under his finger. If he wanted a striker he would get one, or he could have kept iheanacho, 352 would have suited him and he would have had plenty of chances.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:24 am

Making a point ????Pep has FUCKALL excuse after the support hes had from our board.

He better make it fuckign work with the amazing players he has at his disposal.......whatever fuckign formation he dreams up , he has to make it work or hes gone next year.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Sideshow Bob » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:26 am

not a huge fan of this 3-5-2 b/c it seems to slow us down. also not sure aguero and jesus make a great partnership.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby phips » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:12 pm

whats the point of making Tosin part of the first team if youre gonna go out and buy a pricey 4th CB (provided Otamendi doesnt leave)?

Pep has no excuses. from top to bottom this squad is now his and filled with his signings. yes, 1 CB (Kompany/Otamendi) aren't his but i assume he's happy with a fit Kompany and yes Silva and Sterling aren't his but he's obviously happy with the former and i think satisfied with the latter.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:40 pm

phips wrote:whats the point of making Tosin part of the first team if youre gonna go out and buy a pricey 4th CB (provided Otamendi doesnt leave)?

Pep has no excuses. from top to bottom this squad is now his and filled with his signings. yes, 1 CB (Kompany/Otamendi) aren't his but i assume he's happy with a fit Kompany and yes Silva and Sterling aren't his but he's obviously happy with the former and i think satisfied with the latter.

Because if course if we do, as you suggest, we will sell Otamendi.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:49 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Just crossed my mind that Pep may be trying to make a point to the board playing 352? IF it is going to be out main formation this season, we will definitely need more cover at CB and another striker.

To me it's pretty clear that he wants to have a formation that gives him more help in midfield when it's useful, but allows enough cover to not expose our defence, which is what this formation provides.

As I stated in another thread, I do not see him utilising 352 every game, and even if he starts with it we know Pep loves to change tactics in game as many of our players possess a lot of flexibility with positions they can play. If the squad remains mostly the same I expect him to change things game to game and/or in relation to any injuries.

That's the other part of the puzzle that seems to be forgotten. If Vinny goes down and we add no new centre halves before the start of the season we will likely see more of the 4141/433 from last season. I don't think Pep really likes 4231 from what I sense. That's Wenger's formation, and one thing to note as some are worrying about 3 at the back, is a lot of PL clubs seem to be bringing this formation into their thinking, and was commented on I believe on MOTD over the weekend.

I think we are interested in another CB, but it's tricky unless we move Otamendi, because he has to have in the back of his mind Vinny getting injured and is likely nervous about trusting a Stones-Otamendi partnership. If we don't get one this summer I can see it happening in January.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:23 pm

We have all seen that Pep's preferred system is 3 at the back and that he is happy to play just one up front of necessary. We have such an array of forward thinking players that any one of them could step in to make 2 up front.

I don't think Pep is making any point at all, he's already said he can spend more if necessary.

We are spoilt at the moment with the team we've got and if we do get any more top class players then that would be the icing on top of the cherry.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:22 pm

If Pep wants to play this silly 3 at the back thing, he should play with actual wing backs instead of putting a very square Sane in that particularly round hole. Played to our strengths last 20 minutes with sterling and danilo actually running at people. Far too predictable doing the pissy passy stuff prior to that
Fidel Castro

Postby zabbadabbado » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:If Pep wants to play this silly 3 at the back thing, he should play with actual wing backs instead of putting a very square Sane in that particularly round hole. Played to our strengths last 20 minutes with sterling and danilo actually running at people. Far too predictable doing the pissy passy stuff prior to that
Totally agree mate.

Stop fucking about, trying to fit square Pegs in round Holes, because you have a Big Bald Tefal Head, and think you are super intelligent. His fucking about is as much a fucking hindrance as our astonishingly shit finishing. I think it was 24 chances again tonight only 1 Goal. Groundhog Day just 2 games in.

We were 100% better with 10 men and Subs than that shit 3-5-2 formation he started with. Sane was hung out to dry. The lad is never a wing back, He doesn’t even track back ffs. What the fuck was Guardiola thinking.
zabbadabbado
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: KDB

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:53 pm

He'll probably write a book about how intricate it is
Fidel Castro

Postby South Stand Balti » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:10 pm

A prophetic thread title
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:24 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:A prophetic thread title

Very droll SSB :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:37 pm

Whatever it is it's shit. 352 can work if we breaknquickly wide as it allows us two strikers arriving and an extra defender to cover counters back.

Problem is we don't break, we stroll. Going side to side and allowing the opposition to form a wall means we just miss the extra creative players we've benched to get wing backs on. Neither of the fullbacks are creative enough to make up for the lack of Sterling and sane, Sane can't defend enough and doesn't work so well from deeper. Sterling I've not seen enough at this but can't imagine it will be better than unleashing him up front.

Can't we just play a back 4 and get our best players on the park performing?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:03 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Whatever it is it's shit. 352 can work if we breaknquickly wide as it allows us two strikers arriving and an extra defender to cover counters back.

Problem is we don't break, we stroll. Going side to side and allowing the opposition to form a wall means we just miss the extra creative players we've benched to get wing backs on.Neither of the fullbacks are creative enough to make up for the lack of Sterling and sane, Sane can't defend enough and doesn't work so well from deeper. Sterling I've not seen enough at this but can't imagine it will be better than unleashing him up front.

Can't we just play a back 4 and get our best players on the park performing?

There's both the problem and the solution
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:47 am

I am totally unconvinced by peps tictacs far. Seriously doubting he has the goods atm.

Pass pass pass pass pass pass pass....boreoff
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:08 am

london blue 2 wrote:I am totally unconvinced by peps tictacs far. Seriously doubting he has the goods atm.

We'd 20 shots at their goal last night. That's around a shot every 3 minutes that we were in possession.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:10 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:I am totally unconvinced by peps tictacs far. Seriously doubting he has the goods atm.

We'd 20 shots at their goal last night. That's around a shot every 3 minutes that we were in possession.

Most of those shots were awful attempts.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby london blue 2 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:12 am

Sane had a mare in that position vs girona so pep sticks him in there against Everton. It's like he's unwilling to adapt.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby sheblue » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:15 am

Its only two games in, with a new system, give it some time. Not saying its going to be wonderful, who knows what way things will go but we need a few more games under the belt with new system and new players.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum