Video refereeing

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Video refereeing

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:24 pm

It's a fucking joke that's what it is.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Video refereeing

Postby Justified logic » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:08 pm

The joke is that the referees, even when they have the benefit of VAR, can't make correct decisions. The rules are far too complicated and open to interpretation.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby phips » Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:37 pm

I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Justified logic wrote:The joke is that the referees, even when they have the benefit of VAR, can't make correct decisions. The rules are far too complicated and open to interpretation.

Exactly.

(tbh i've not even seen VAR used anywhere yet but that reason above is why i'm against it. we are still in a situation where a debatable decision will go certain way. var or not)
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:46 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Justified logic wrote:The joke is that the referees, even when they have the benefit of VAR, can't make correct decisions. The rules are far too complicated and open to interpretation.

Exactly.

(tbh i've not even seen VAR used anywhere yet but that reason above is why i'm against it. we are still in a situation where a debatable decision will go certain way. var or not)

They are using it in Confederations Cup. Video ref showed red card for what was barely worth a yellow. Not only that but they were about to send off wrong guy.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:21 am

it's a fucking shambles
typical fifa
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby fangsanalsatan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:47 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

Exactly.

They are using it in Confederations Cup. Video ref showed red card for what was barely worth a yellow. Not only that but they were about to send off wrong guy.

But that's because the ref is a donkey. Books the wrong player, reviews the footage, sends off the (still wrong) player, reviews the footage again to send off the correct player. Can't see how VAR is at fault here. Without it the ref would've booked the wrong player and that's it.

Now, whether the foul was worthy of a yellow or a red might be debatable, but it'd be debatable with or without VAR.

So far the cack non-digital referees are doing their best to denounce the whole system. Wonder if they're under instruction to do so? (tinhat firmly on)
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:13 pm

fangsanalsatan wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

Exactly.

But that's because the ref is a donkey. Books the wrong player, reviews the footage, sends off the (still wrong) player, reviews the footage again to send off the correct player. Can't see how VAR is at fault here. Without it the ref would've booked the wrong player and that's it.

Now, whether the foul was worthy of a yellow or a red might be debatable, but it'd be debatable with or without VAR.

So far the cack non-digital referees are doing their best to denounce the whole system. Wonder if they're under instruction to do so? (tinhat firmly on)

For myself, there's no need for a tin hat chum; can't argue with any of that.

With regard to football in this country, I think it was 'Sideshow Bob' who, in an earlier post in a different thread, summed it up most succinctly :- sort out PiGMOB and the problem is well on the way to being solved.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Referees are not used to it, so there will of course be a learning curve, as will there be one for fans, while others are already convinced otherwise, or wish to see it fail as we are already hearing more "traditional" fans dig in as opposed to it.

The way it should work when something is more "controversial," as it is dealt with her in the states, is that if the VAR cannot clearly show one way or the other what should happen from various POV's then the decision by the ref stands as it is.

It's never going to be perfect, or even close to perfect, but it should at least minimize some of the decisions that drive many fans, including me, mad.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby nottsblue » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:49 pm

I shall reserve full judgement until two similar occurrences that ourselves and say the rags, or the dippers, or Arsenal get referred for and when the outcomes are the same I shall eat my words.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:04 pm

nottsblue wrote:I shall reserve full judgement until two similar occurrences that ourselves and say the rags, or the dippers, or Arsenal get referred for and when the outcomes are the same I shall eat my words.

Fair enough. I know this is sort of the ultimate test for our fans, and others who feel that they tend to get favourable treatment from referees.

This is also what I am looking for, because we all know had a few key decisions went the way they should have this past season who knows what would have happened, but we surely would have more points than we ended up with.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:45 am

There is nothing wrong with the game itself. Governing bodies? Sure. But the beautiful game is just as beautiful without these silly video refs. In fact, more beautiful.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby john68 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:25 am

I love my football traditional, but football also has a tradition of changing and modernising, albeit far too slowly. In fact football has a bad reputation of being far too traditional to the point of almost being dormant.

Maybe it's my cynicism or just my experience of watching Salford, a small club over a number of years and watching video refereeing changing absolutely fuck all and delivering just the same shite as did the traditional refereeing.

I see it as a sop to the paying public. "Look what we're doing to improve decision making on the pitch",when my experience of rugby league is that the decisions of the VAR are just as shite as they ever were.

The same big clubs being delivered to the play off positions at the expense of the smaller clubs to ensure the big teams reach the big play off games to enhance the viewing figures and increase the income from advertising demanded by those (Sky etc) that own and finance the sport.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:45 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

Exactly.

For myself, there's no need for a tin hat chum; can't argue with any of that.

With regard to football in this country, I think it was 'Sideshow Bob' who, in an earlier post in a different thread, summed it up most succinctly :- sort out PiGMOB and the problem is well on the way to being solved.

I've been thinking that as most of these situations are debatable and as no sane fan in UK trusts the referees... How about creating a panel of 20 fans, one fan from each club who will vote instead of some dodgy referee?
Majority of votes win, a tie means that referees decision from the field stands. Give the power to the people.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:35 pm

another joke situation occurs. blatant pen not given to chile. can't blame the ref. can blame the guys 'upstairs'
fucking waste of time as things stand
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:another joke situation occurs. blatant pen not given to chile. can't blame the ref. can blame the guys 'upstairs'

Whats the fucking point if you can't even get a stonewall penalty right:

https://my.mixtape.moe/enhsnz.mp4

Apparently the ref needs to ask for a video replay. So if the ref is corrupt, then no video assistance. Which means we'll get typical treatment from the refs even with this video shite
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:53 pm

bigblue wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:another joke situation occurs. blatant pen not given to chile. can't blame the ref. can blame the guys 'upstairs'

Whats the fucking point if you can't even get a stonewall penalty right:

https://my.mixtape.moe/enhsnz.mp4

Apparently the ref needs to ask for a video replay. So if the ref is corrupt, then no video assistance. Which means we'll get typical treatment from the refs even with this video shite

Absolutely.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:51 am

Correct.
And it is starting to have this terrible ice hockey/american football feel to it with stop-starts.

A definite no from me.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Justified logic » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:25 pm

Only the football authorities could fuck up the introduction of video refereeing after so many other sports have successfully introduced it.

Just :roll:
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:00 pm

I wouldn't put it past FIFA to be making a deliberately hamfisted introduction of it in the hope of putting people off.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Return to The Maine Football forum