New football reforms

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: New football reforms

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:06 pm

Football is by far the greatest game on the planet. Why are there always these retarded suggestions to change the law ofmthe game?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:11 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Football is by far the greatest game on the planet. Why are there always these retarded suggestions to change the law ofmthe game?

$$$ commercial breaks $$$
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:06 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:
walshawblue wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40311889

Scrapping 45 min halves to be one of the reforms to be debated at Ifab

end corruption within PiGMOL. everything else, sorted.

I like it Bob.

Gets my vote.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:46 pm

bigblue wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Football is by far the greatest game on the planet. Why are there always these retarded suggestions to change the law ofmthe game?

The stop-the-clock idea is the one that people are touting most as being directly related to commercial breaks. However, FIFA et al. could really shoot themselves in the foot with this in my opinion:

If the game is stop-the-clock, time wasting can no longer be a punishable offence.
If time wasting is no longer a punishable offence, then there is no detrimental effect of wasting time to allow yourself or your teammates to take a breather.
This could make the end time of a match far more unpredictable, messing with many broadcasters' schedules. In fact, if players had 10 or 12 two-minute sit-downs on top of the expected 30 mins' downtime, it could start to create schedule clashes between games on days like Sky's 'Super Sundays'.
On the flip side, if out-of-play time is considerably less than expected, there may be a longer gap between games than broadcasters plan for. This could lead to the effect of pubs emptying out in the time between games, if there is less interest in the second game. This could have a minor impact on the amount of pubs taking up Sky subscriptions. I can't imagine this being particularly detrimental, but I'd wager if even 1 in 200 pubs decided to cancel their subscriptions because of a decline in game time income, this would make a hefty hole in Sky's wallet.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby nottsblue » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:56 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
bigblue wrote:

The stop-the-clock idea is the one that people are touting most as being directly related to commercial breaks. However, FIFA et al. could really shoot themselves in the foot with this in my opinion:

If the game is stop-the-clock, time wasting can no longer be a punishable offence.
If time wasting is no longer a punishable offence, then there is no detrimental effect of wasting time to allow yourself or your teammates to take a breather.
This could make the end time of a match far more unpredictable, messing with many broadcasters' schedules. In fact, if players had 10 or 12 two-minute sit-downs on top of the expected 30 mins' downtime, it could start to create schedule clashes between games on days like Sky's 'Super Sundays'.
On the flip side, if out-of-play time is considerably less than expected, there may be a longer gap between games than broadcasters plan for. This could lead to the effect of pubs emptying out in the time between games, if there is less interest in the second game. This could have a minor impact on the amount of pubs taking up Sky subscriptions. I can't imagine this being particularly detrimental, but I'd wager if even 1 in 200 pubs decided to cancel their subscriptions because of a decline in game time income, this would make a hefty hole in Sky's wallet.

FIFA's only consideration is increasing revenues at the World Cup. if sponsors have to pay more due to "informal game breaks" then it will happen. The ref will simply be told in his earpiece when to resume play after an injury or an incident that has referred to the VAR.

FIFA care as much for football at local or even national level as much as turkeys do for Xmas. As long as the World Cup makes them money then everything else is irrelevant. VAR hasnt been introduced to clean up the sport, its been introduced to allow commercials
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum