Pep Guardian football genius

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pep Guardian football genius

Postby BookJunior » Tue May 02, 2017 1:06 pm

City64 wrote:It's all a bit fucked and boring to be fair . Have we ever known a manager since Mark Hughes to get it tactically so wrong so often ???

NO!!!!

I'm all in favour of keeping possession and pressurising when not, but any fool can realise that behaviour in the defensive third clearly has to be different to the attacking third.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Original Dub » Tue May 02, 2017 1:15 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
City64 wrote:It's all a bit fucked and boring to be fair . Have we ever known a manager since Mark Hughes to get it tactically so wrong so often ???

This is all very disappointing.
I could've sworn you had that Hughes licker fiber in you.

You are going to have your heart broken. Your bezzie mate was biggest Hughes fan around and hated Mancini.

Simmered down for one day and he's already on his next breakdown. Mind you, he's never far away from one.

What a horrible, depressing and negative person.
Original Dub

Postby johnny crossan » Tue May 02, 2017 1:23 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Dimples wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:but that's Pep's USP, the only reason he's here is to promote his vision and methods in our primitive football wilderness.

Maybe he has looked at Spain's record compared to England's and decided that tippy-tappy is a better option?

Very very unfair to judge him this season.
He is a visionary and needs time to implement his ideas.
Players know they are being moved on at the end of the season yet he has to rely to them to put in the effort?

Finally, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, 4th place would be in the bag now if the system was not corrupt.
Arsenal and the Rags would be nowhere near us.

So how about a bit of balance - you guys sound and act like a mob.

He may well be a visionary and, moreover, he might be the greatest manager ever to have lived.

However, the way things are going at the moment, it would feel nice just to have a competent, pragmatic personage at the helm and someone who can mould the players we have into an effective unit, playing in a style that suits them. I don't want to have to go on an extended, seemingly endless trek across arid, burning deserts in the hope that somewhere in the future, we might possibly reach our promised land.

I don't want to be regarded as being wilfully impatient but the way things have gone this season, give grounds for some degree of scepticism as to how well the next campaign will go.

Excellent post as always.

I love football visionaries: Valeri Lobanovski, Giovanni Trapattoni, Rinus Michels, Arrigo Sacchi and so on. However football is also pragmatic game. If it's not working, you got to change it. Look at the visionaries mentioned there. They all had some base system but were also reactive. In fact, what really made them visionaries was their ability to take notes and make changes. Pep on the other hand is extremely rigid with his system. Not only will he rarely if ever change the base system he will rarely be flexible with the philosophy according to opposition. And then he ask for completely unsuitable players to fit into his system.

This rigidity is actually the reason why I'm so worried about him. And to me that sort of rigidity is kind of opposite of being visionary. His system is more fancy and complicated than 4-4-2 wide that some English managers held onto u til it was completely outdated and go some extent Pep has hint of that stubborness about him.
I remember when 3 touch POMO was where it was at - whither fled that visionary gleam?
That's the trouble really - football, like life, is an uncertain business. You can't rely on anybody :(
Last edited by johnny crossan on Wed May 03, 2017 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby City64 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Original Dub wrote:

You are going to have your heart broken. Your bezzie mate was biggest Hughes fan around and hated Mancini.

Simmered down for one day and he's already on his next breakdown. Mind you, he's never far away from one.

The weirdo lives in an igloo and doesn't get out much , cyberland is his only hope plus medication !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue May 02, 2017 2:11 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Dimples wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:but that's Pep's USP, the only reason he's here is to promote his vision and methods in our primitive football wilderness.

Maybe he has looked at Spain's record compared to England's and decided that tippy-tappy is a better option?

Very very unfair to judge him this season.
He is a visionary and needs time to implement his ideas.
Players know they are being moved on at the end of the season yet he has to rely to them to put in the effort?

Finally, AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, 4th place would be in the bag now if the system was not corrupt.
Arsenal and the Rags would be nowhere near us.

So how about a bit of balance - you guys sound and act like a mob.

He may well be a visionary and, moreover, he might be the greatest manager ever to have lived.

However, the way things are going at the moment, it would feel nice just to have a competent, pragmatic personage at the helm and someone who can mould the players we have into an effective unit, playing in a style that suits them. I don't want to have to go on an extended, seemingly endless trek across arid, burning deserts in the hope that somewhere in the future, we might possibly reach our promised land.

I don't want to be regarded as being wilfully impatient but the way things have gone this season, give grounds for some degree of scepticism as to how well the next campaign will go.

Excellent post as always.

I love football visionaries: Valeri Lobanovski, Giovanni Trapattoni, Rinus Michels, Arrigo Sacchi and so on. However football is also pragmatic game. If it's not working, you got to change it. Look at the visionaries mentioned there. They all had some base system but were also reactive. In fact, what really made them visionaries was their ability to take notes and make changes. Pep on the other hand is extremely rigid with his system. Not only will he rarely if ever change the base system he will rarely be flexible with the philosophy according to opposition. And then he ask for completely unsuitable players to fit into his system.

This rigidity is actually the reason why I'm so worried about him. And to me that sort of rigidity is kind of opposite of being visionary. His system is more fancy and complicated than 4-4-2 wide that some English managers held onto u til it was completely outdated and go some extent Pep has hint of that stubborness about him.
I remember when 3 touch POMO was where it was at - wither that visionary gleam?
That's the trouble really - football, like life, is an uncertain business. You can't rely on anybody :(

Forever the philosopher JC.

You never disappoint ;)
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue May 02, 2017 5:22 pm

City64 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

The weirdo lives in an igloo and doesn't get out much , cyberland is his only hope plus medication !

Tweet!
Love conquers all.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Tue May 02, 2017 5:30 pm

What a fruit cake
Original Dub

Postby Justified logic » Tue May 02, 2017 5:59 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Excuse me, have you anything worthwhile to say?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue May 02, 2017 6:03 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

*Snowflake alert*
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 02, 2017 6:06 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

not if past form is anything to go by
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby CTID Hants » Tue May 02, 2017 6:07 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

*Snowflake alert*

Hold on lads.

Have I got time to pop to Tesco and grab some popcorn and beer before round two kicks on :lol: :lol:
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Justified logic » Tue May 02, 2017 6:08 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

*Snowflake alert*

Have you had that hug yet?
Justified logic

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue May 02, 2017 6:11 pm

I think you are confused snowflake.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Tue May 02, 2017 6:59 pm

City64 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Tweet!
Love conquers all.

I aint playing out with you ever , have you met phips ? you and him could be best buddies !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby Justified logic » Tue May 02, 2017 7:23 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:I think you are confused snowflake.

Loving your projection of your own insecurity into what you think is an insult. Keep it up; it's strangely, oddly charming.
Justified logic

Postby Original Dub » Tue May 02, 2017 8:29 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Justified logic wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

not if past form is anything to go by

We'd be lost only for your negative one liners wouldn't we.

I preferred you when you thought you were funny.

As for past form, didn't you used to send me buddy messages?

And stop going missing when you're asked why you can't see what's wrong with the officiating.

It doesn't strengthen your case against us "conspiracy theorists".
Original Dub

Postby Original Dub » Tue May 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

You're excused.
Original Dub

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue May 02, 2017 8:40 pm

buddy messages?! hmmmm.....
you live in a fantasy world mate
soon you'll have to change your username to walter mitty
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Original Dub » Tue May 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:buddy messages?! hmmmm.....
you live in a fantasy world mate
soon you'll have to change your username to walter mitty

8-)
Original Dub

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Tue May 02, 2017 11:24 pm

Justified logic wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:I think you are confused snowflake.

Loving your projection of your own insecurity into what you think is an insult. Keep it up; it's strangely, oddly charming.

Every company has someone like you in it....infact I think I have one !!! Let me go seek him out tomorrow...maybe I can put you both in touch...could end up BFF,s .
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum