Games with my dad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Games with my dad

Postby PaulieIrish » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:12 pm

To date, 3 big memories and still counting

1. City-Spurs in the FA cup a few years back. We put a tenner each on City beforehand, 10 more at 1-0 down and 10 more at 2-0 down. Sadly we did not put 10 more on at HT as spurs led 3-0. But we danced around his sitting room when we won 3-4 when Jon Macken scored the winner. Will never forget this moment, and me made around 340 each.

2. I took my dad to Wembley for his 70th to see City beat Utd 1-0 (Yaya) in the semi of the FA cup. Lots of crazy memories of this. The package we bought put us in the Utd end middle section. I'll never forget the 2 second gap when we scored before the sound bank of City fans hit us with a roar. It was like a all of sound and I have some great photos of a blue wall at the end away from us. Other good memories (sic) are the room we stayed in. Two goldfish would have had problems turning around, and it was in a basement with no windows. Fire hazard for sure. But a game we still talk wound.

3. Tonight. Totally out of the norm that we would go mid-week to watch a match, but we did. Local bar is staffed by (nice) Utd supporters. What a roller-coaster of a game. Dad is mid 70ies now, and tonight was a game I will treasure more than ever. Memories do not get better than this.

To me, this is what supporting City is all about. Highs and lows, yeah, but this...
PaulieIrish
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Re: Games with my dad

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:14 pm

Wish my dad was still taking me to games. It's what I was brought up on.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:23 pm

I'm the other side of the coin. My young lad is as hoarse as me tonight and thought that after the 2012 QPR match, that is the best City game he's been to.

Nothing will ever top 2012, but he was on a high after this.

Seeing Sergio score 5 against Newcastle was well up there, as was Balotelli scoring the penalty to beat Spurs 3-2 in 2012..

I'm treasuring these moments with him and hope the memories stay with him long after I'm gone.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Nigels Tackle » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:25 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I'm the other side of the coin. My young lad is as hoarse as me tonight and thought that after the 2012 QPR match, that is the best City game he's been to.

Seeing Sergio score 5 against Newcastle was well up there, as was Balotelli scoring the penalty to beat Spurs 3-2 in 2012..

I'm treasuring these moments with him and hope the memories stay with him long after I'm gone.

his experiences are the opposite of mine in the 90s!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:26 pm

My dad's a rag, but a good one. Always cheers us on except for Derby day.

But it was my nan who used to go with me when I was young. Both had season tickets, sat in the north, from prem to div 2 and back again. She's gone now but I'll forever miss going to the match with her, a massive blue all her life. Wembley 99, 2 down at 89 minutes and I say let's go, like an impatient teenage wanker. "No, I've never been to Wembley, win or lose I'm here for the day out". And then horlock scored.

Thanks nana.

Good post mate, hope you're both enjoying the evening.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:35 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:I'm the other side of the coin. My young lad is as hoarse as me tonight and thought that after the 2012 QPR match, that is the best City game he's been to.

his experiences are the opposite of mine in the 90s!

Spoilt rotten, but he knows it.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby patrickblue » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:51 am

Gone all dewy eyed now.
I fulkin love this club
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby john@staustell » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:34 pm

'Great' in one way, in another way it was a nightmare rollercoaster for three quarters of it.

Easy 5-0 anyday for me!

Picked a bad time to give up midweek drinking.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby aristation » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 pm

This is the first season my son has paid for his own season ticket as he is now working and throughout his childhood and difficult years we have always had the 5hr round trip to City to talk and stay in touch and I hope someday to take a grandchild to City and pass on the sheer joy of supporting the blues. My family have now lost all links with Manchester but I could never support anything else and hope my kids stay the same.
Sharing games at grounds like Highfield Road, that QPR game, Hamburg, away at PSG and Wembley finals mean we will always have a common blue link beyond family.
It may be my last year as a season ticket holder as it just doesn't seem the same with so few English and local players (but I said that last year)
aristation
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Return to The Maine Football forum