VAR (Video Assistant Referee)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: VAR (Video Assistant Referee)

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:13 pm

sidSmith wrote:I really enjoyed the way the shove wasn't given on Sterling and then appreciated how the spuds fan's celebrated their goal moments later. I also enjoyed the 2 offside goals spuds scored at their place last season to fuck us over. I mainly enjoyed these moments because the flow of the game wasn't interrupted and I really felt for their fans as they got to celebrate the goals in 'real time' rather than have it all spoilt by a slight delay.

On the other hand I wonder if you'd have enjoyed them disallowing Aguero's 93:20 goal for an incorrect throw-in decision at the start of the move in the same way?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:34 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
sidSmith wrote:I really enjoyed the way the shove wasn't given on Sterling and then appreciated how the spuds fan's celebrated their goal moments later. I also enjoyed the 2 offside goals spuds scored at their place last season to fuck us over. I mainly enjoyed these moments because the flow of the game wasn't interrupted and I really felt for their fans as they got to celebrate the goals in 'real time' rather than have it all spoilt by a slight delay.

On the other hand I wonder if you'd have enjoyed them disallowing Aguero's 93:20 goal for an incorrect throw-in decision at the start of the move in the same way?

Are minor calls like that going to be looked at? From what I can gather they aren't.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:54 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

Are minor calls like that going to be looked at? From what I can gather they aren't.

where there's a will there's a way I'm sure
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Dameerto » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:45 pm

The sooner this is brought in the better - at the very least it will make corrupt decisions easier to highlight, and it could give us a more even playing field.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby sidSmith » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:30 pm

johnny crossan wrote:

I get your point, but I don't think they're going to go back that far in play. I also understand that they could make a right fucking mess of the whole thing! Assuming that they don't, and it's done fairly then I'll welcome a level playing field like nothing else, and sacrifice a few moments delay while they sort it out.

I think you're assuming the worst if you really think they'd have disallowed Aguero's goal based on that call! In my mind they would have reversed the call and given the throw to QPR in almost real time, not 10 seconds later.

Which brings us on to these scenarios where a decision at one end isn't given, the team break and then score at the other, but the game didn't stop because there was no break in play. I say though tits. If the call ultimately ends up being the right call, then so be it. It's only really extending the same as we currently have where a player scores, we all celebrate, the players celebrate, all while the linesman has his flag up.

I used to like the talking points but it's got to the point where decisions are the only thing that gets discussed. Rarely is it about a piece of skill, great goal or new young player (Rashford aside of course), it's about the shit decisions and I hate where we are. Even worse that the referees are unaccountable and untouchable. Assuming VAR removes that and exposes them for the incompetent fuckwits that they are, what's not to like?
sidSmith
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:47 pm

sidSmith wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

I get your point, but I don't think they're going to go back that far in play. I also understand that they could make a right fucking mess of the whole thing! Assuming that they don't, and it's done fairly then I'll welcome a level playing field like nothing else, and sacrifice a few moments delay while they sort it out.

I think you're assuming the worst if you really think they'd have disallowed Aguero's goal based on that call! In my mind they would have reversed the call and given the throw to QPR in almost real time, not 10 seconds later.

Which brings us on to these scenarios where a decision at one end isn't given, the team break and then score at the other, but the game didn't stop because there was no break in play. I say though tits. If the call ultimately ends up being the right call, then so be it. It's only really extending the same as we currently have where a player scores, we all celebrate, the players celebrate, all while the linesman has his flag up.

I used to like the talking points but it's got to the point where decisions are the only thing that gets discussed. Rarely is it about a piece of skill, great goal or new young player (Rashford aside of course), it's about the shit decisions and I hate where we are. Even worse that the referees are unaccountable and untouchable. Assuming VAR removes that and exposes them for the incompetent fuckwits that they are, what's not to like?
As you say Sid, it's a trade off. Hopefully, improving refereeing standards at the expense of traditional spectator expectations, in terms of a free flowing game, is a price worth paying. I'm not going to die in a ditch arguing about it, you may well be right and the benefits will outweigh the costs.

The transparency issue is a separate problem as you and others have pointed out. The spectator should see the same new VAR evidence as the on-field referee at the same time - as in cricket etc. It should also be clear to all about how far back in the scoring phase the video ref can take factors into account.
Last edited by johnny crossan on Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby City64 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:04 pm

Just a thought .........

They have this system in Super League Rugby of which SKY have the TV rights . I have a Wigan Warriors season card for my sins (they play Friday nights mostly with an odd Thursday night thrown in ) the video ref system is highly controversial to say the least ! It can be manipulated to get whatever decision SKY want in effect and when the video evidence is in slow motion whatever has occurred always looks worse than it actually is when played at normal speed , They do get a good percentage of decisions right but some decisions are beyond a joke , At the end of the day SKY know what they are doing with this "toy" and decisions can still be "manipulated" to suit any possible "agenda" or "result" . The controversy in Super League rugby has increased since the Video Ref was introduced for sure .............. clever fuckers are SKY and it gets fans even more at it, BE WARNED !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:07 pm

City64 wrote:Just a thought .........

They have this system in Super League Rugby of which SKY have the TV rights . I have a Wigan Warriors season card for my sins (they play Friday nights mostly with an odd Thursday night thrown in ) the video ref system is highly controversial to say the least ! It can be manipulated to get whatever decision SKY want in effect and when the video evidence is in slow motion whatever has occurred always looks worse than it actually is when played at normal speed , They do get a good percentage of decisions right but some decisions are beyond a joke , At the end of the day SKY know what they are doing with this "toy" and decisions can still be "manipulated" to suit any possible "agenda" or "result" . The controversy in Super League rugby has increased since the Video Ref was introduced for sure .............. clever fuckers are SKY and it gets fans even more at it, BE WARNED !

A perspicacious thought and a timely warning my friend.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:17 am

Good....the last few fucking months we have had nothing but shit decisions so if this means we get some good decisions then Im all for it.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:59 am

This is exactly what I expect to happen in football. It will not help make fair decisions, it will be used to suit the agenda. It's why I asked about Valencia's stamp. If that's looked at, he should get a six + games ban. But if it's not even equitable as to what is decided with trial by video, then it's just as corrupt as ever, probably more so.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby City64 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:48 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Good....the last few fucking months we have had nothing but shit decisions so if this means we get some good decisions then Im all for it.

Remember how SKY slowed down the footage of Aguero,s elbow incident to slow mo to make it look a lot worse to get him a 4 game ban earlier this season Carl ? When seen at normal speed nothing really happened except the West Ham player went down like he had been shot , SKY manipulated the situation to get Aguero a lengthy ban and went with it and "there footage" big time as "evidence". This stuff works both ways but it all depends on who is pulling the strings and pressing the buttons pal .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:23 am

City64 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Remember how SKY slowed down the footage of Aguero,s elbow incident to slow mo to make it look a lot worse to get him a 4 game ban earlier this season Carl ? When seen at normal speed nothing really happened except the West Ham player went down like he had been shot , SKY manipulated the situation to get Aguero a lengthy ban and went with it and "there footage" big time as "evidence". This stuff works both ways but it all depends on who is pulling the strings and pressing the buttons pal .

We can counter anything they want to do mate , we can also fuckign slow down any other incident and put it out there in the public domain.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby littlebig » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:32 pm

I'm all for VAR, think it will increase transparency in the game.

Should be used for:

Penalty shouts
Violent conduct
If a goal is scored and there's any doubt eg a foul / offside in buildup

There is scope for abuse of system or fucking out up through incompetence so it should be shown to all on big screen like in rugby.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Justified logic » Fri May 12, 2017 1:16 pm

Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Justified logic » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:32 am

So VAR gets its run out today.

It will be a disaster.

Even if implemented as effectively as it is for cricket and rugby (which it won't be) it will still be a disaster.

It will expose the issue at the heart of football as a sport and that is that the rules are open to interpretation. Add to that that the referees apply the rules inconsistently depending on when in the game and where on the pitch an 'offence' occurs. And layered on top of that are all the 'expert' pundits who don't even know the rules of the game when it comes to offences and talk about players being justified in going down for a penalty because they 'feel' contact - their warped views have pervaded the whole sport and have become the accepted reality for all players and viewers.

The game is no longer in the hands of honest, honourable men. This was exemplified for me this morning by Joey Barton talking about how he liked to see ding-dong arguments between managers on the touchline because they were "part of the game". No they are not. They are the behaviours of immature men like yourself who follow relative rather than absolute values of right and wrong. The instance he was particularly referring to followed Dyche's complaint about City's free kick being taken when the Burnley player wasn't 10 yards away. How fucking mature was that?!
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum