The Mang

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Mang

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:51 pm

I'm gonna play devils advocate and ask if we'd sent otter out and kept mangala would this thread be reversed by now?
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:I'm gonna play devils advocate and ask if we'd sent otter out and kept mangala would this thread be reversed by now?

Is that rhetorical? ;)
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm surprised at that report. I've watched him a few times and he's been poor. I think he's a proper good chap but a poor player. It's inly a couple of weeks ago he had a nightmare and earlier in the season he was dropped. Maybe he has had a good game but for me this is a case of absence making the heart grow fonder but I would prefer him to the otter and he's no worse than stones
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:55 pm

When Vinnie was out st the back end of pellegrinis 2nd season., the otter and mandala pairing was excellent. We need to stop changing it every game.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:06 pm

Wonderwall wrote:When Vinnie was out st the back end of pellegrinis 2nd season., the otter and mandala pairing was excellent. We need to stop changing it every game.

You mean Demichelis rather than Otter?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby fangsanalsatan » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:17 pm

I think there is some serious revisionism going on here. He might have the right 'tools' on paper, but so does Stones and the latter can pick a pass on top of it. The art of defending is equal amount quick thinking/decision making as it is physical attributes.

Mangala was bullied off the pitch by the likes of Hull or Palace. He's not a kid anymore, so won't learn to pass or play a high line to suffice at this level either. I guarantee he won't feature for a team managed by Pep, not by choice anyway.

And while Otamendi might not be good enough for different reasons, that does not excuse Mangala's shortcomings.

A clear No from me.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby Sideshow Bob » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:18 pm

mangala?? the same mangala we were slating left right and center last season??? he turns like a container ship! and passing out of the back?? lol.

as bad as ottamendi has been at times (and let's be honest he's had some v good games for us as well), he is still better than mangala.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:29 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
PeterParker wrote:I was always on the boat that he is a good defender. A bit distracted at times, but good defender. Some of the critics around him were harsh. I remember his debut with Chelsea. If was one of the best starts for a defender in the last years. We saw a lot of classs after Zaba was sent off.

I would recall him in a heart beat rather than going after that prick Laporte again.

I'm with you on this PP.

Moreover, I also think it's about player combinations.

Get the right centre-back partner for him and the whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts, added to which he's already ours so bringing him back wouldn't impact on any transfer budget limitations we might have imposed upon us.

Would a Stones-Mangala partnership work ????

I don't think a Stones/Mangala partnership would work, or at the very least it would need two different full backs to what we have. That said, until it's been tried and either proved or failed we won't know.

I can see Mangala/Stones/(?) as a back three tough. One tough guy, one ball player and one overall leader (Kompany if fit), Bonucci maybe if not, Godin from Atletico perhaps.

One thing is for sure though and that is we are going to see a different defence in terms of personnel than this year and time will tell whether the results will be different

Interesting thought NB.

Trouble is, Godin is 30 now (31 in February) and that is the same problem as with, say, Ezequiel Garay, when we're looking to the future.

However, both yourself and Peter Parker have suggested Bonucci (29 now and will be 30 in May) so the age criterion applies also to him and yet, completely illogically, I'd take Bonucci in a heartbeat, because of how he plays and what he does and the attributes he brings to a side.

PP's comments about us having a dirty thug who could dish it out really strikes a chord with myself.

I'd love to have defenders who aren't too polite and who would defend as though their lives depended on it and who would put the shivers up any forward who came their way. It would be a nice contrast with what we've become a little accustomed to seeing of late........and if they could play a bit, that would be icing on top of the cake.

A young Giorgio Chiellini type player would do quite nicely, thank you very much.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:31 pm

Hes a richard dunne type defender, great backs to the wall old fashioned defending but terrible when ur defending on the half way line with 70% possesion.

Still far better than Otamendi, who is garbage.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:44 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
PeterParker wrote:I was always on the boat that he is a good defender. A bit distracted at times, but good defender. Some of the critics around him were harsh. I remember his debut with Chelsea. If was one of the best starts for a defender in the last years. We saw a lot of classs after Zaba was sent off.

I would recall him in a heart beat rather than going after that prick Laporte again.

I'm with you on this PP.

Moreover, I also think it's about player combinations.

Get the right centre-back partner for him and the whole becomes greater than the sum of its parts, added to which he's already ours so bringing him back wouldn't impact on any transfer budget limitations we might have imposed upon us.

Would a Stones-Mangala partnership work ????

I don't think a Stones/Mangala partnership would work, or at the very least it would need two different full backs to what we have. That said, until it's been tried and either proved or failed we won't know.

I can see Mangala/Stones/(?) as a back three tough. One tough guy, one ball player and one overall leader (Kompany if fit), Bonucci maybe if not, Godin from Atletico perhaps.

One thing is for sure though and that is we are going to see a different defence in terms of personnel than this year and time will tell whether the results will be different

Interesting thought NB.

Trouble is, Godin is 30 now (31 in February) and that is the same problem as with, say, Ezequiel Garay, when we're looking to the future.

However, both yourself and Peter Parker have suggested Bonucci (29 now and will be 30 in May) so the age criterion applies also to him and yet, completely illogically, I'd take Bonucci in a heartbeat, because of how he plays and what he does and the attributes he brings to a side.

PP's comments about us having a dirty thug who could dish it out really strikes a chord with myself.

I'd love to have defenders who aren't too polite and who would defend as though their lives depended on it and who would put the shivers up any forward who came their way. It would be a nice contrast with what we've become a little accustomed to seeing of late........and if they could play a bit, that would be icing on top of the cake.

A young Giorgio Chiellini type player would do quite nicely, thank you very much.

Age is relative. Someone who is 30 and has looked after himself can last another three years. Considering most managers don't last that long I don't see it as an issue, providing the fee is right of course.

A young Chiellini was actually in my thoughts when writing my previous post MC. Spooky
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:00 pm

Agree with that Notts, I'm also of the opinion that Stones needs a mentor so someone of that age and experience would be ideal.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:00 pm

A few years ago now, weren't we at one point linked with Chiellini NB, but nothing came of it ??

Or was it just paper talk as usual ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:02 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:A few years ago now, weren't we at one point linked with Chiellini NB, but nothing came of it ??

Probably were and most likely when he was involved in contract negotiations. Agents love to drop City's name to journos in order to strengthen their hand when negotiating terms with their client's club.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby phips » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:06 pm

cannot see him fitting in Pep's system. he is a terrible passer.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:A few years ago now, weren't we at one point linked with Chiellini NB, but nothing came of it ??

Probably were and most likely when he was involved in contract negotiations. Agents love to drop City's name to journos in order to strengthen their hand when negotiating terms with their client's club.

Vaguely seem to remember that as well. Probably at the time we got Lescott!
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Spurge » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:13 pm

nottsblue wrote:I like him. He has everything in his locker that a centre half should have for my money. Fast, strong, good in the air and doesn't get bullied.Details like accuracy of passing can be worked on as he is stil young and positional awareness come with experience.

Really hope he gets another chance

Well that wasn't peps stance with hart. Appreciate you have said still young but we're not talking about a 19 year old
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:13 pm

You're right FIBD; these agents do like to use City's name.

Funny that they never seem to invoke the Scum as a lever in their bargaining tactics, but that's probably because players who go there "would play for £50 per week", to draw upon the knowledgeable Alan Shearer's MOTD insight into Shrek's motivations.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:14 pm

nottsblue wrote:

Speaking of Lescott, I've just been reading that he's been training at City, apparently City officials made Moyes aware of his availability and he's now joined them.

Once a Blue
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:16 pm

nottsblue wrote:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-city-want-giorgio-chiellini-838013.amp
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Tokyo Blue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:20 pm

nottsblue wrote:

Speaking of Lescott, I've just been reading that he's been training at City, apparently City officials made Moyes aware of his availability and he's now joined them.

Once a Blue

He's bottom of the league, he's bottom of the leeeeeague.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum