The Mang

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: The Mang

Postby bigblue » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Unless my recollection has been lost in this thread I thought he used to get some right shit game after game yet I'm now reading that he could be a real asset?

Was quite an athlete, but many people are also forgetting that he had a touch and passing ability that made Dzeko look like Silva.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:22 am

Don't think anyone is saying the big man is suddenly a world beater (although compared to what's left who knows?), but rather he had/has the raw ingredients to become a decent defender (keeping Costa and Ibra in his pocket prime examples) and that he's no worse than what's left.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby aaron bond » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:43 am

Mase wrote:Don't think anyone is saying the big man is suddenly a world beater (although compared to what's left who knows?), but rather he had/has the raw ingredients to become a decent defender (keeping Costa and Ibra in his pocket prime examples) and that he's no worse than what's left.

That's my view also.

He definitely has his faults and needed an experienced defender (like a fit Kompany) next to him. But he had put in some excellent performances in some matches, particularly against big centre forwards.

Considering that we're left with 3 useless players in Otamendi, Stones and Kolarov, it seems unfair that Mangala was the one let go.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:07 pm

aaron bond wrote:
Mase wrote:Don't think anyone is saying the big man is suddenly a world beater (although compared to what's left who knows?), but rather he had/has the raw ingredients to become a decent defender (keeping Costa and Ibra in his pocket prime examples) and that he's no worse than what's left.

That's my view also.

He definitely has his faults and needed an experienced defender (like a fit Kompany) next to him. But he had put in some excellent performances in some matches, particularly against big centre forwards.

Considering that we're left with 3 useless players in Otamendi, Stones and Kolarov, it seems unfair that Mangala was the one let go.

This.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:19 pm

Ah how the memory fades. Decent marker but useless with the ball and therefore never, ever going to fit in our "philosophy".

Poor signing if we're honest
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jan 31, 2017 12:58 pm

Genuine question, but there is out there a world class defender outside de EPL and who can be bought in?

I think the defenders today are much less good that 10-15 years ago. I am looking at the italians who had Nesta, Costacurta, Cannavaro etc and then I look at their next ”star” Romagnoli and laugh.

So clubs will try to overrate everything they had. Same with the Mangler. We paid too much for him, I agree, but the critics he receive were far exagerated.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby South Stand Balti » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:14 pm

aaron bond wrote:

That's my view also.

He'll be back soon. I have seen Mangala twice in the last few weeks and he's been worse than he was with us. It's a shame as he seems a decent bloke and give 100% but he just isn't good enough. I agree the others haven't been any better and all have s game changing error in them.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:56 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Unless my recollection has been lost in this thread I thought he used to get some right shit game after game yet I'm now reading that he could be a real asset?

The problem with Mangala was that he was young, similar to Stones, who needed a proven player next to him. Vinnie was that player but had problems when Mangala was coming through.

Young players need an experienced head next to them, teaching them when to push, when to drop; when to tackle, when to jockey. Our young players haven't had that sort of mentor for many years, and regardless of talent, the PL will rip you a new one if you don't get it right.

Agree with all of that Beefy, in regards Stones needing that mentor would you persevere with Vinnie this summer or would you target an experienced defender, Godin was mooted on here for example? He sure as shit isn't going to get any mentoring from the Otter.

If Vinnie isnt injured yes, we'd be daft not to. You don't just lose that kind of leadership because you're out for a while and the only thing that can stop him is if those injuries reoccur.

I even think that Vinnie suits Otta's play, being able to cover while Otamendi goes sliding in. Risk and reward, safety net if it all goes Pete Tong.

If there's still issues with injuries though, well that's where we need to go into the market.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:28 pm

Surprised nobody has put up the video of his weekend howler yet.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:48 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Surprised nobody has put up the video of his weekend howler yet.

Go back a page
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:53 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

The problem with Mangala was that he was young, similar to Stones, who needed a proven player next to him. Vinnie was that player but had problems when Mangala was coming through.

Young players need an experienced head next to them, teaching them when to push, when to drop; when to tackle, when to jockey. Our young players haven't had that sort of mentor for many years, and regardless of talent, the PL will rip you a new one if you don't get it right.

Agree with all of that Beefy, in regards Stones needing that mentor would you persevere with Vinnie this summer or would you target an experienced defender, Godin was mooted on here for example? He sure as shit isn't going to get any mentoring from the Otter.

If Vinnie isnt injured yes, we'd be daft not to. You don't just lose that kind of leadership because you're out for a while and the only thing that can stop him is if those injuries reoccur.

I even think that Vinnie suits Otta's play, being able to cover while Otamendi goes sliding in. Risk and reward, safety net if it all goes Pete Tong.

If there's still issues with injuries though, well that's where we need to go into the market.

It's them injuries reoccurring is what I'm worried about, do we go into another season gambling on his fitness or do we go into the market for an experienced defender?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:05 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:

It's them injuries reoccurring is what I'm worried about, do we go into another season gambling on his fitness or do we go into the market for an experienced defender?

It's the million dollar question mate but I think Pep will look at it in a more pragmatic way rather than us who have a little emotional value with Vinnie. Either way, I do think we need somebody else in but don't want to see our youngsters, such as Tosin, overlooked.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum