Worst keeper ever.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Worst keeper ever.

Postby zuricity » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:06 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:I thought Joe was an excellent keeper and was very unlucky not to get more caps for England. He was around at a time when the two afore mentioned keepers seemed to share the decade between them.

I was only a kid but remember it the way Zuricity describes it. He was over weight and struggled for a while but went off and whipped himself into shape and became an excellent keeper.

By the way. Peters Shilton made his debut for Leicester at the age of 16 and played in the 1969 FA cup final against us aged 19.

Leicester replaced Gordon Banks with him while Banks was England's World Cup winning no.1

I know keepers mature and peak later but why if we have the likes of Angus Gunn who is used to playing football the way we do in the academy, do we not take a punt and use him.

From what I saw the other night in the 18's match, this guy Muric is really big also and looks confident.

Why not put two of them in the squad fighting it out to keep both on their toes.
It couldn't be any worse than the current situation and we could save ourselves a fortune, because no matter who we buy we will be charged extortionate fees.
Clubs no we are desperate.

When he was overweight , he blubbered into Souness who had just signed for scouse pool and really thought he was the Bees fcuking knees , the arrogant cnut. He laid him out flat as he , even with his blubber , deftly weighted ( notice that play on words ? ) , on a 40-60 ball to stoop low and shoulder souness inthe body. Souness laid flat and out for the count regretted going in studs high on joe earlier in the game.

Best goalie action i have ever seen ( apart from Banks's black and white live save from Pele).

Re Banks: He pulled out all the stops to deny us over Easter weekend when we blew it giving Clough's Derby County the league !

Edit :

Bravo still isn't fit to clean all three of them's boots.
Last edited by zuricity on Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby nottsblue » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:11 pm

Regards the age of goalkeepers and the general consensus is they improve with age and maturity, being 17 and Milans first choice since he made his debut at 16 it doesn't appear to halted Donnarumma's progress. Played every Serie A game since then and has 18 clean sheets in 53 games. Very decent.

Looks like Juventus are sniffing round. Point is, if he can be thrust into first team action then surely Angus Gunn can?
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:22 pm

zuricity wrote:
BookJunior wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I've seen Ron Healey, Keith Macrae, Eike Immel, Joe Corrigan before he became good, Martyn Margetson, Arne Arneson or whatever his name was, but despite all their shortcomings, I have never seen a goalkeeper at City so absolutely incapable of stopping the ball going past him as this berk now.
Discuss

You must be older than me because Joe Corrigan was always awesome in my memory. In fact my memory of him was how he singlehandedly kept us up for one season in the '70s after Big Mal returned.

Joe didn't get off to a good start. A lot of the crowd got on his case too, but he came back stronger and leaner and turned into a great goalie, whose international career was limited because we had Shilton and Clemence as well, at various periods spanning his career.

Joe had that awful moment against West Ham at Maine Road, when, having kicked the ball upfield, he was running back to his goal but with his back to play.

Can't remember the West Ham player (was it Boyce ??) who, as the ball came down, caught it on the volley and scored from near the half way line, whilst Joe still had his back turned away.

That must have been his nadir but he bounced back and became, through sheer hard work and application, a worthy successor to the likes of Frank Swift and the great Bert Trautmann.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby zuricity » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:34 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
zuricity wrote:
BookJunior wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:I've seen Ron Healey, Keith Macrae, Eike Immel, Joe Corrigan before he became good, Martyn Margetson, Arne Arneson or whatever his name was, but despite all their shortcomings, I have never seen a goalkeeper at City so absolutely incapable of stopping the ball going past him as this berk now.
Discuss

You must be older than me because Joe Corrigan was always awesome in my memory. In fact my memory of him was how he singlehandedly kept us up for one season in the '70s after Big Mal returned.

Joe didn't get off to a good start. A lot of the crowd got on his case too, but he came back stronger and leaner and turned into a great goalie, whose international career was limited because we had Shilton and Clemence as well, at various periods spanning his career.

Joe had that awful moment against West Ham at Maine Road, when, having kicked the ball upfield, he was running back to his goal but with his back to play.

Can't remember the West Ham player (was it Boyce ??) who, as the ball came down, caught it on the volley and scored from near the half way line, whilst Joe still had his back turned away.

That must have been his nadir but he bounced back and became, through sheer hard work and application, a worthy successor to the likes of Frank Swift and the great Bert Trautmann.

he did indeed ... but he grew after that.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby RodneyRodney » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:09 pm

nottsblue wrote:Regards the age of goalkeepers and the general consensus is they improve with age and maturity, being 17 and Milans first choice since he made his debut at 16 it doesn't appear to halted Donnarumma's progress. Played every Serie A game since then and has 18 clean sheets in 53 games. Very decent.

Looks like Juventus are sniffing round. Point is, if he can be thrust into first team action then surely Angus Gunn can?

Casillas started pretty young @ Madrid
"Our planet is a BLUE planet" - Sir David Attenborough
RodneyRodney
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester; Patriots
My favourite player is: Enzo Francescoli

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum