Pretty football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Pretty football

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:25 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
PrezIke wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Let's cut this shit now. Every single one of us know that we don't have the players to suit Peps style. We all know, even though we have great love for them, that the likes of Zab, Sagna, Clichy, Kolarov etc are way past their sell by date. That's not Peps fault, that's the DoFs fault, allowing it to happen. Manuel ahead the same problem, so did Mancini. As a managers if you don't get the players you want, or anywhere near, how the hell do you get them playing your game?

THEN DON'T TRY FUCKIGN PLAYING THAT STYLE AND PLAY TO YOUR STRENGTH!!!!!!! FOR FUCKS SAKE !!!!!!!

So then the teaching/practising of the system to other (younger) players is then delayed by a year.

What would our strengths be that he's not utilising? We are short in front and slow and unpredictable at the back.

Hoofing the ball up the pitch won't do us any good.

Since when have we ever hoofed the ball upfield ? answer is never.

Pep wants his system to work but he doesn't have the players to do it , so he should play the way we have always played with these players as they are good enough to play the system we have always played to get into the top 4 , he could still instill his methods little by little as he he gets people on board.

H instead decided to instill it regardless of key personnel coming on board.

At this rate , we will NOT GET INTO THE TOP FUCKIGN 4.

Hes fucked up MASSIVELY bringing that TIT of a keeper with him - its criminal that he keeps on playing him game after game.

I hear you, but you do recall that we were experiencing the same problems worsening over the past 2-3 seasons with our defending, no?

We were conceding goals under Pellegrini's system as well, with the kamikaze 4222, fullbacks pushing up, and Yaya or Kolarov leaving us exposed frequently. Sagna was our best defender last season and he's turning 34 next month.

Under Mancini we had Zaba + Vinny, Lescott and Clichy in their primes to help with covering mistakes. We still relied on them under Pellegrini but each season Vinny's injuries got worse, and the rest have aged, Zaba noticeably last season in a drastic fashion. Then the two centre halves we recruited have been no where near up to the standard we need and cost us a lot of money.

Now, with the goalkeeper, it's tricky because there was little indication that Bravo (who was on top 100 footballer lists for 2016) would struggle so much. He has had such a good record and had the skills needed for Pep's system to work I can see the reasons he made the move. Joe had his critics too, including you Carl, and he had a poor reputation with distribution in particular which the system requires a keeper to be good at.

How could that have been implemented "gradually"? I don't see how, and Bravo appears to be public enemy #1 for our fans right now.

We are missing Fernandinho right now, big time, or Gundogan, and arguably more so a defender with pace, and leadership/organising quality.

The goals today came from poor defending and individual mistakes.

I honestly struggle a bit to see what tactics he can employ from the past that use our strengths (going forward, possession, ball on the ground) and won't leave our defence exposed, so hence why I raised the idea of hoofing the ball up the pitch, but what do I know?
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:28 pm

This talk of systems is Bollox. For the last few seasons we have watched first Mancini struggle to find a way to open up stubborn defences, followed by The Count. The problem is the same, the criticism is the same. Too slow and ponderous. Guardiola is failing to sort the problem too, but has made us a fucking laughing stock of a defensive unit.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby PrezIke » Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:37 pm

Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:This talk of systems is Bollox. For the last few seasons we have watched first Mancini struggle to find a way to open up stubborn defences, followed by The Count. The problem is the same, the criticism is the same. Too slow and ponderous. Guardiola is failing to sort the problem too, but has made us a fucking laughing stock of a defensive unit.

The problem, in part, is the way many PL teams play football, and how much physical play is tolerated by refs. I also am arguing that the defending problem may be a sign of a continuation of what we were already seeing before with our defence.

I think to find success with an attacking approach in the PL you need pace all over the pitch and are organized in defence. We lack pace in the back, and have a struggling keeper as well who is new and under heavy fire.

I think we also, again, need a leader amongst the key defenders to help organise it.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Scatman » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:27 pm

We should get KK back and let him have a go with this squad.
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby sheblue » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:48 pm

A big problem is the midgets upfront. Sometimes were crying out for a big powerful striker to play up quickly to. He ain't got that so it's slow as you go.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:26 pm

sheblue wrote:A big problem is the midgets upfront. Sometimes were crying out for a big powerful striker to play up quickly to. He ain't got that so it's slow as you go.

This is a very good point. When tevez didn't work we had dzeko, when aguero needed help it was him and Negrado. Having a big striker gives you another option we desperately lack.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:29 pm

Imo Prezike is talking a lot of sense. My misses shouts that we are too slow and she knows fuck all about the game. You cant play quickly against a deep 9 man defence, you have to be patient. What you need when the counter happens is a holding midfielder who can hold up the oppos, fouling if necessary, quick tough cbs and a goalie who makes saves when shit happens. We aint got any of these. And don't say Fern 1 because its been going on all the time he's been here and the only thing he's top notch at is avoiding blame.I still think our main problem at the mo apart from Bravo is Aguero.A lethargic midget.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:29 am

getdressedmctavish wrote:Imo Prezike is talking a lot of sense. My misses shouts that we are too slow and she knows fuck all about the game. You cant play quickly against a deep 9 man defence, you have to be patient. What you need when the counter happens is a holding midfielder who can hold up the oppos, fouling if necessary, quick tough cbs and a goalie who makes saves when shit happens. We aint got any of these. And don't say Fern 1 because its been going on all the time he's been here and the only thing he's top notch at is avoiding blame.I still think our main problem at the mo apart from Bravo is Aguero.A lethargic midget.

Depends what you mean with playing quickly?

I do think our build up is too slow. We pass pass pass and as nobody moves (it's not just aguero, none of them make any runs!) it's hardly a surprise we are not getting anywhere. We do have nice possession stats though.
With Silva, Yaya, Nasri and one fullback making different kind of runs (of which only Zabba was good at before he got slower. Actually Richards did some good runs too) we were able to break down defences like with slow build up but especially Sterling is not good enough for that kind of football, Nasri is missing and for some reason I just don't see the same connection between KDB & the other two.
Before we get better players imo when we need a goal, we need to move more, pass faster and with purpose and be more direct against these buses. If we ever get two nil up then we can start this slow pass pass pass pass possession game
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby PrezIke » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:28 am

If I'm being honest, Raheem, who I think has been very good for us this season, is somewhat of one of the weak links in an odd way with our attack because he is not clinical enough, and is not as great at 1-2's as say, Nasri, which we are both missing. He's better than Navas, and you see flashes of brilliance or possible brilliance, but he needs to improve further and it is a little worry compared to expectations 4 seasons ago.

Actually, oddly enough, so is Silva. I know...crazy talk, but is it? Look at Alli. He can score and create. Silva and Sterling don't score enough so the burden is on Aguero and KDB...who can score, but KDB is our best creative player (okay, on par with Silva) and seems to be more focused on creativity than scoring of late, or also unlucky. Yes, Yaya can score but he's on his way out soon enough. I really hope Jesus is the real deal (I think he is going to be) and Sane comes to fruition in some way.

That's what I also think we are missing. The killer players up front who not only create, but are a legit scoring threat. I think that is a genuine question compared to the best teams.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum