What Pep's System Is Missing?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: What Pep's System Is Missing?

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:59 am

We are not even doing the simple things right.

The one thing that always stood out when watching Pep's teams is how easy and effortless they made passing the ball look. Short passes that zipped along the ground arriving at the players feet in a way that he was able to control and move the ball on just as quick and accurately. We look like we are not capable of doing that. The ball arrives knee high to the player, the ball is spinning making it more difficult to control, the pace of the ball arriving at the players feet is very slow, players needing to break stride to receive a pass all means a slow build up that goes nowhere and pressure from the opposing team will lead to a mistake and an attack on our goal. A prime example was early in the hull game and we were playing it out from the back along the right hand side where I think Sagna, Stones and Fern had formed a triangle, the ball was played into Fern who had a simple 20 yard pass to Sagna. He hit it about 15 yards in front of Sagna and the hull left back had read it and was bursting forward to intercept. Nothing came off the attack but what a basic error catching a number of players ahead of the ball.

Another seemingly straightforward thing that we dont seem to be doing is moving. Our attack is so static. We don't seem to be capable of creating decent scoring opportunities from our current set-up. There is no interchanging of positions, no inside runs off the wings, no late midfielder runs into the box.

At the start of the season there was signs that these things had been worked on and there was a marked Improvement. That is all gone now, what have they been working on since, why are we regressing so much. Although I trust Pep's will 100% get it right, at the moment it is annoying and worrying
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:40 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:players with brains who can think for themselves

Right, so we need new players?

We might be getting somewhere finally.... your reasons change every game so it's hard to keep up.
Original Dub

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:11 am

Time, he has been here no time. Fans need to show some respect, he knows more than we will ever know, comparing us to Barca or Bayern is ludicrous, they have built a mentality over decades, we joined the party less than a decade ago, get a grip.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Plain Speaking » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:48 am

I do agree with NB, we have a large number of players who don't seem to know how to shoot accurately. IMO we need players like Coutinho or Sanchez, who can create goals and consistently shoot accurately rather than just pass the ball.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City

Postby branny » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:48 am

nottsblue wrote:For me, we need more goals. Silva had one PL goal. Sterling has one in 13/14 now. Navas never troubles the scorers. KDB for all his talent and I know he has plenty of assists doesn't score enough. We get next to nothing from the defence from set pieces, look at how many the Chelsea defence score.

Peps Bayern and Barca sides had a focal striker like we have, Aguero, Messi and Lewandowski. But his previous two sides had players who would also chip in with goals.

I will still maintain KDB is better suited to the role Silva occupies as he would score more. He always looks more dangerous through the middle. Having Sterling and KDB wide with Silva in the middle is stifling our play and slowing it down. I feel this season may well be the last we have Silva as automatic starter in the number ten role.

The defence is much talked about, the goalkeeper included, but we have a reasonable record in terms of goals conceded and for me, the problems lie at the other end of the field.

Get your points about midfield and lack of goals which I agree are a major problem. For me the defence is a problem too. Clean sheets win you games and we can't keep one. Individual errors are killing us this season, the goal last night for example which was mainly of Kolarov's doing. The spine of the team needs addressing urgently along with both full back positions. I can't see things improving until then.
Balotelli......that's a brilliant finish.
branny
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: God's own club
My favourite player is: Tueart

Postby failsworthblue » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:11 pm

We basically need a new back five ( built around Stones) , we have never replaced De-Jong and we have somehow got to find that type of player.

Sterling and Sane give me great hope , KDB to replace Silva in the middle and two more forwards.

We have the right manager just give him the time.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Justified logic » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:00 pm

Hazy2 wrote:Time, he has been here no time. Fans need to show some respect, he knows more than we will ever know, comparing us to Barca or Bayern is ludicrous, they have built a mentality over decades, we joined the party less than a decade ago, get a grip.

He has been here as long as Conte has been at Chelsea. shall we compare City last season to Chelsea last season?

It is NOT the players. This season and last season we were straight out of the traps. And who can forget the zippiness of that first half against an unprepared Milan in Pellegrini's first pre-season? So what goes wrong? Why isn't that sharpness maintained beyond the first ten or so games? Many symptoms I think but the basic underlying cause is lack of challenge by up and coming players; our stars need constant challenge and threat of being replaced as they are not driven by local pride (in battle or elsewhere).
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby zuricity » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:08 pm

Justified logic wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Time, he has been here no time. Fans need to show some respect, he knows more than we will ever know, comparing us to Barca or Bayern is ludicrous, they have built a mentality over decades, we joined the party less than a decade ago, get a grip.

He has been here as long as Conte has been at Chelsea. shall we compare City last season to Chelsea last season?

It is NOT the players. This season and last season we were straight out of the traps. And who can forget the zippiness of that first half against an unprepared Milan in Pellegrini's first pre-season? So what goes wrong? Why isn't that sharpness maintained beyond the first ten or so games? Many symptoms I think but the basic underlying cause is lack of challenge by up and coming players; our stars need constant challenge and threat of being replaced as they are not driven by local pride (in battle or elsewhere).

The team was performing wonderfully well under Pellegrini until November when they all found out about Pep coming. After that it nose dived. Still at least they played for Pellegrini. This lot don't seem to give a toss about Pep.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby dazby » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:59 am

For me the big issue is an unwillingness to get behind defences. There is currently very little risk taking going on. In the attacking third the focus is all about retaining possession rather than doing anything meaningful with it.

Furthermore, on the rare occasions we do get behind there is little end product to take advantage of this situation.

On the rare occasions against the dippers Sterling was the only one who was able to get behind the defence and cause a little chaos. However, on these occasions he was either a. Isolated. b. His crossing to the other midgets on our team was ineffective (he'll get better at this with experience) c. None of his team mates busted a gut to create an option for him because they were more concerned with taking up a position that ensured ball retention.

In short, we need to take more risks in the front third, win our one on ones and take advantage of the chaos that ensues.
Last edited by dazby on Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:23 am

Justified logic wrote:

Chelsea were on strike, City are making redundancies, You would think we were 12th with Pearce back, Pep is working with players with no long term future here. Sad to see some go, but the reasons are there for us to see no pace, ald dogs new tricks, blah blah, The start was great, he told us we would drop off he is right he has stated we are poor in both boxes, what more info does he need to pass on, ask City@home and he will mention it at his next presser, no disrespect to you mate, the players are the biggest issue the fans are the second one, they seem to think he has a magic. Wand. I posted on here years ago, we know nothing about expectations as we have never had any, sitting in the ground listening to loons screaming complete bollocks confirms it. We have a couple of phases of success, Pep has DNA of a winner over 30 years do we NO. Let him get on with it, just as Klipperty is changing the Scousers Porch has done the same at Spurs, Conte has gone back to basics and got winners winning again somehow, we could have run a rugby score on them if we took our chances in as one sided game for an hour as I have seen. We did not, and got done again wasteful he warned us of that! there will be more pain, but long term Pep is the man we are fans with a small amount of knowledge one, who else would you have Pellers who left disgracefully to an empty stadium, and some mention his name as though they loved him sums up the fans of City for me.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:27 am

So a goalkeeper, some centrebacks, full backs, a midfielder and some strikers and we'll be right.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby fangsanalsatan » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:35 am

LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:So a goalkeeper, some centrebacks, full backs, a midfielder and some strikers and we'll be right.

Don't forget the manager.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby gmercer1 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:40 am

fangsanalsatan wrote:
LookMumImOnMCF.net wrote:So a goalkeeper, some centrebacks, full backs, a midfielder and some strikers and we'll be right.

And new fans
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Aguero

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:53 am

gmercer1 wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:

And new fans

Forgot the white shorts too
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:54 am

gmercer1 wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:

And new fans

The new fans want it yesterday ! Pep out or Pep knows nothing, this could be
Arsenals forum. The lack of perspective is incredible. City fans be careful what you wish for, pretty sure the owners and Pep can feel a lack of appreciation. Or is it him flirting the rag love, calling out the 70 mins were off merchants fuelling the fire. Either way some fans will never get it or be happy, Reading back posts from the Bobby era and Pellers it was the same moan no matter what.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:08 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:

And new fans

Arsenals forum. The lack of perspective is incredible. City fans be careful what you wish for, pretty sure the owners and Pep can feel a lack of appreciation. Or is it him flirting the rag love, calling out the 70 mins were off merchants fuelling the fire. Either way some fans will never get it or be happy, Reading back posts from the Bobby era and Pellers it was the same moan no matter what.

Im not a new fan and I want the manager to fuckign learn from his mistakes.........which he isn't doing.
I wont even go into more detail as its fuckign obvious where PEP has fucked up on.

And in business, I can assure you , the owners know whats fucking wrong with the way we are playing and will certainly not blame the clients (us ) for our fucking justified shit attitude that we have right now.

Your the type of fan who goes on about how shit we used to be..as if you were the only cunt that supported us back then!!..and how we should be happy week in and week out..no matter if we drop out of the top 4........oh wait a minute , we have.!! BOLLOCKS !

A forum is to vent and discuss.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Dimples » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:36 pm

To me it is really simple.
Pep and the club are thinking long term.

Pep has half the players he wants. Most of them attackers (mids, wide and forward).
He has to get the other half in. Mostly defenders. Most of this will be sorted in the summer.

He is not going to change his style of play in the interim.
He is right. It would only confuse the players who are there long term - Stones, Brown, Sterling, Sane, etc...

The risk he runs is not getting in the first 4. It is a calculated risk he is going to take.
Forget trophies for this season.
The targets for Pep are: educate the long term players, go as far as poss in CL, finish top 4.

That's ok with me.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:31 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
gmercer1 wrote:
fangsanalsatan wrote:

And new fans

Im not a new fan and I want the manager to fuckign learn from his mistakes.........which he isn't doing.
I wont even go into more detail as its fuckign obvious where PEP has fucked up on.

And in business, I can assure you , the owners know whats fucking wrong with the way we are playing and will certainly not blame the clients (us ) for our fucking justified shit attitude that we have right now.

Your the type of fan who goes on about how shit we used to be..as if you were the only cunt that supported us back then!!..and how we should be happy week in and week out..no matter if we drop out of the top 4........oh wait a minute , we have.!! BOLLOCKS !

A forum is to vent and discuss.

Not been to a game in a while Mate, trust me the I am off brigade and moaning cunts are the issue as pointed out by the manager, yep he called them out in a nice way. The same mistakes we see from players are fuck all new. Sit Back and try to enjoy City, as for looking back, fuck that I am far to happy to waste my time, cheers and hapy new year to all the know more than Pep an Tiki. And for the record the same Sporting Director who backed Pep, and sanctioned the sale of Ronny for Messi to take the number 10 shirt, it took time at Barca it will be the same here yep they are cluless....... I am off to the game to Support some cunts want to try it !Z!
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PrezIke » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:36 pm

Dimples wrote:To me it is really simple.

Pep has half the players he wants. Most of them attackers (mids, wide and forward).
He has to get the other half in. Mostly defenders. Most of this will be sorted in the summer.

He is right. It would only confuse the players who are there long term - Stones, Brown, Sterling, Sane, etc...

The risk he runs is not getting in the first 4. It is a calculated risk he is going to take.
The targets for Pep are: educate the long term players, go as far as poss in CL, finish top 4.

That's ok with me.

This 100%.

Summed up perfectly.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby zuricity » Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:44 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Dimples wrote:To me it is really simple.

That's ok with me.

This 100%.

Summed up perfectly.

Long term my Arse . why has he only signed a three year contract ? Long term ? We are all dead .

He needs a pot this year and he only has two chances now.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum