next: liverpool (a)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: next: liverpool (a)

Postby Dwaring » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:23 pm

They are going to be fired up and come out with a load of energy. We should be very direct early on. Pop some balls over the top and don't allow them to press on by kicking the ball around back. Break their will early and then we can settle into our rythm.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Postby South Stand Balti » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:49 pm

Not sure Aguero will start. I can see the false 9 thing as Kun will be a bit rusty.
South Stand Balti
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby nottsblue » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:55 pm

South Stand Balti wrote:Not sure Aguero will start. I can see the false 9 thing as Kun will be a bit rusty.

Wouldnt surprise me if he didnt start and Sterling was given the nod as false nine. Kun always takes a few games to get up to speed and away at the dippers isnt the ideal place to build your fitness
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:33 pm

Dwaring wrote:They are going to be fired up and come out with a load of energy. We should be very direct early on. Pop some balls over the top and don't allow them to press on by kicking the ball around back. Break their will early and then we can settle into our rythm.

Interesting thoughts Dw.

I suppose another option might be to endeavour to retain possession, almost totally, for the first 25 minutes or so.

It wouldn't be necessary to attack overmuch in this phase of the game, unless the chances came about to do so, but the main object would be to take the sting out of their opening game by getting them to try and chase us all over the park, chasing shadows all the while. Moreover, we're not here to entertain their fans, just to quieten them down until the place becomes as quiet as the grave.

After that, we can become more expansive.

I suppose that sounds feasible in theory, but reality might prove to be otherwise, so what do I know ??
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby City64 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:36 pm

Anyone know Peps record v Klopp ?
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:01 pm

City64 wrote:Anyone know Peps record v Klopp ?

4 each.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:02 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
Dwaring wrote:They are going to be fired up and come out with a load of energy. We should be very direct early on. Pop some balls over the top and don't allow them to press on by kicking the ball around back. Break their will early and then we can settle into our rythm.

Interesting thoughts Dw.

I suppose another option might be to endeavour to retain possession, almost totally, for the first 25 minutes or so.

It wouldn't be necessary to attack overmuch in this phase of the game, unless the chances came about to do so, but the main object would be to take the sting out of their opening game by getting them to try and chase us all over the park, chasing shadows all the while. Moreover, we're not here to entertain their fans, just to quieten them down until the place becomes as quiet as the grave.

I suppose that sounds feasible in theory, but reality might prove to be otherwise, so what do I know ??

What, at Klansfield? The pitch would be inundated with wreaths.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:07 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Interesting thoughts Dw.

What, at Klansfield? The pitch would be inundated with wreaths.

Overlooked that PD. :oops:

It might also be a case of 'if the wreaths don't get you, the candles will'.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Sparklehorse » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:06 pm

nottsblue wrote:
South Stand Balti wrote:Not sure Aguero will start. I can see the false 9 thing as Kun will be a bit rusty.

Wouldnt surprise me if he didnt start and Sterling was given the nod as false nine. Kun always takes a few games to get up to speed and away at the dippers isnt the ideal place to build your fitness

Thing is he's not coming back from injury...he should be fresh and raring to go. Guaranteed starter for me !
"Its better to be thought of as being a fool and remain silent than to speak up and remove all doubt" - Abraham Lincoln
Sparklehorse
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: All of them

Postby Dimples » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:40 pm

Expect us to win this IF we take our chances.

How good is Brown at the moment? Pure class and very unlucky not to have scored in each of the last two games.
Expect him to boss this game.
Kun and F1 both available.
Continho missing for them is a bridge to far - huge loss.

We will create more chances than them. All we have to do is take them.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Dwaring » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:42 am

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:

Interesting thoughts Dw.

I think we all know what's going to happen, it just comes down how we decide to counter their energy early. I jusy worry trying to play cute football out of the back may be inviting them on. I thought this was one of the reasons we struggled early lately. We looked to control the ball and invited the opposition to press us. When we've made a mistake it seems to give the opposition confindence. Being away at Anfeild that's the last thing we want. A stray ball from any of the back 4 will get the crowd behind them. A few long balls to Kun, Raz, & co. could surprise them and eliviate some pressure. Pep surely wants to be able to invite pressure and play thru it in the long run but I don't know if we're there yet.
Dwaring
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

My favourite player is: Yaya toure

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:37 am

Hope someone crunches Adam the Lama in the first five...
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:43 am

Sparklehorse wrote:
nottsblue wrote:

Thing is he's not coming back from injury...he should be fresh and raring to go. Guaranteed starter for me !

Fair point
nottsblue
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Sister of fu » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:24 am

All of us know that Liverpool are going to be well up for this and the place will be bouncing and their players will come at us.

We need to handle this from the outset and not give the crowd something to get behind like we did at Celtic. I thought we we were really naive there and played right into their hands. We can't let Liverpool get ahead of steam like we seen to have done on the last three games at Anfield.
Sister of fu
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Uwe Rosler

Postby sheblue » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:32 am

Sister of fu wrote:All of us know that Liverpool are going to be well up for this and the place will be bouncing and their players will come at us.

We need to handle this from the outset and not give the crowd something to get behind like we did at Celtic. I thought we we were really naive there and played right into their hands. We can't let Liverpool get ahead of steam like we seen to have done on the last three games at Anfield.

It's so obvious to everyone how Klopp will fire them up. I just hope after several years we will read the script before the play is over.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:35 am

Has Pep done the presser yet?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:38 am

Beefymcfc wrote:Has Pep done the presser yet?

No, will be around 2pm today
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:41 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Has Pep done the presser yet?

No, will be around 2pm today

Cheers buddy, looking forward to it. Not got Sky on tap down here so will have to wait for it posted on that Beaney site.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby City64 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 9:50 am

Aguero has to start , he will be fit as he hasn't been injured just suspended through the legacy of that Chelsea game and wound up through the sheer bentness of that rag cunt Anthony Taylor ......... fucking karma awaits , Aguero will be ready very ready its just our defence and keeper that makes me nervous .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby FA cup winners 2006 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am

The thing about it is we know exactly what we are up against. Energy, pressing and constant movement. If we dont match them on that then we havent a hope.

We know the formation they will play, when they will press, who will press and who will interchange with who, they are the most predictible team in the league but what they do works well.

I have no doubt that Pep will have a game plan that if implemented properly, we will come out on top. My main doubt is with the attitude of our players who dont always display the heart, professionalism and work etic required
FA cup winners 2006
De Jong's Tackle

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum