Maffeo

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Maffeo

Postby Bluedj » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:34 am

It seems young Maffeo, has gone out on loan to Girona till the end of the season

Mixed feelings for me. Hopefully he'll get more (man football) game time, but a second division team? Also, must mean Zabba's knee isn't to bad and Pep is happy with him and Sagna
Bluedj
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: vincent kompany

Re: Maffeo

Postby nottsblue » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:44 am

He has gone in the shop window. I'd imagine Pep doesn't see him in long term plans otherwise he'd have had a few more games by now.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dunnylad » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:01 pm

Agree with Nottsblue - he played well against the rags but was blowing out of his arse by the end and maybe there's some conditioning issues there? Either way he uproots trees & comes back or his sale value is set with various add ons - wouldn't be surprised to see a few more like Angelino maybe edged this way - from my limited experience there may be much younger players with more potential that may be better long term investments than Maffeo or Angelino even if we strengthen in the summer with younger models than the current incumbents
"F****d it up,
Shot my Load,
Spewed onto the Motorway Shoulder,
I Could Have Been Somebody Special."
Dunnylad
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Georgi Kinkladze

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:06 pm

Dunnylad wrote:Agree with Nottsblue - he played well against the rags but was blowing out of his arse by the end and maybe there's some conditioning issues there? Either way he uproots trees & comes back or his sale value is set with various add ons - wouldn't be surprised to see a few more like Angelino maybe edged this way - from my limited experience there may be much younger players with more potential that may be better long term investments than Maffeo or Angelino even if we strengthen in the summer with younger models than the current incumbents

Perhaps Mr H. could give us his thoughts on this scenario.

I, for one, would be interested in what he would say.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby City64 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:48 pm

Started him v Celtic , he didn't do his job properly and kept drifting inside when we attacked instead of hugging the line creating width and creating space for the pass and overlap . Defended ok in said game but Pep did what Pep does when players don't do what they are asked to do and subbed him . Big opportunity missed for Maffeo that night as Celtic are poor and slow .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:08 pm

Angelino has gone too
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:19 pm

We go on about how good our academy is but when was the last time we had a good few players come through the ranks and have a few seasons in the first team? And where are they now that we're competing at a decent level?

Our academy is only good at producing Championship and lower level players. They get a good career themselves but it doesn't fuck all for us apart from get us the odd £500k here and there.

Edit: and I'm not talking about a Nacho where we've just gone and picked someone up who has spent a season with the academy, I mean actually come through the academy.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Justified logic » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:43 pm

On the other hand, Garcia is getting lots of good bench time. :roll:

This argument about the next batch of youngsters being the jewels has been going on too long.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:22 pm

Mase wrote:We go on about how good our academy is but when was the last time we had a good few players come through the ranks and have a few seasons in the first team? And where are they now that we're competing at a decent level?

Our academy is only good at producing Championship and lower level players. They get a good career themselves but it doesn't fuck all for us apart from get us the odd £500k here and there.

Edit: and I'm not talking about a Nacho where we've just gone and picked someone up who has spent a season with the academy, I mean actually come through the academy.

Would Denis Suarez be in the Iheanacho bracket? or what age are we talking about when we say 'come through the academy'?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby phips » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:25 pm

surely since both Angelino and Maffeo are gone for the rest of the season that means we're brining in a new fullback in January.
Pep said the fullback position was light and then let two of them go on loan.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:41 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Mase wrote:We go on about how good our academy is but when was the last time we had a good few players come through the ranks and have a few seasons in the first team? And where are they now that we're competing at a decent level?

Would Denis Suarez be in the Iheanacho bracket? or what age are we talking about when we say 'come through the academy'?

I'd say more than one year in our academy.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:35 pm

Mase wrote:

Whilst there's not much arguing that we haven't produced much in the way of quality, we have taken in some decent fees, Suarez, Rekik, Lopes off the top of my head.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:49 pm

Mase wrote:

Whilst there's not much arguing that we haven't produced much in the way of quality, we have taken in some decent fees, Suarez, Rekik, Lopes off the top of my head.

That's what I said haha.

Literally the last player I can remember coming through that's actually doing something (although always injured) is Sturridge. And Hughes fucked that one up didn't he!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:55 pm

Mase wrote:
Mase wrote:

That's what I said haha.

Literally the last player I can remember coming through that's actually doing something (although always injured) is Sturridge. And Hughes fucked that one up didn't he!

I was agreeing with you mate but for the fees, there's been plenty have been sold for more than £500k
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:56 pm

Mase wrote:

Just as an aside FIBD and as a matter of pure interest, are fees received for Academy players able to be used in our accounts for FFP purposes ??

I'm surmising they might not because, rightly or wrongly, I seem to recall that Academy costs are outside the scope and exempt from these 'regulations'.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:06 pm

Good question MC, not sure mate tbh.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby nottsblue » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:13 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Good question MC, not sure mate tbh.

I would've thought any sales from players brought through the academy will go into the general accounts and can be used however the club sees fit.

Cant see that an academy players sale has to be ploughed back into the academy only. What for example would Barca do with the proceeds of any Messi sale for example. Or indeed Bojan, Alcantara and about ten others over the last decade or so.
nottsblue

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:16 pm

Sale of academy players count as income for us don't worry.

It is the investments to infrastructure, like our new Academy that doesn't count towards ffp
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:18 pm

I am a bit disappointed with this as it probably suggests Pep doesnt fancy him at least in the short term.I would say he is a better defensive player now than Zaba but experience counts for a lot. I also won't be happy if we bring in a new , old, full back as is being suggested somewhere.

Hopefully Angelino will get some good game time to show what he is made of. I don't think he has what it takes at City first team level but saying that I think he could do as well as Kolarov defensively as a full back.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby nottsblue » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:28 pm

Maybe this is Peps, albeit harsh, way of letting the Academy lads know that to get in one of his sides you have to grab your chance when it comes as there may not be many given out. As always, we are not privy to what happens in training so cant really speculate as to the real reasons
nottsblue

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum