So what does Pep need to do?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: So what does Pep need to do?

Postby freshie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:39 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Get his players to stop missing absolute sitters.

This and sign some defenders who can actually defend. Oh and a goalkeeper who makes saves
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby freshie » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:45 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Accept quickly he is trying to win an F1 with a ford transit, the players are not capable of playing his way, it really is that simple, defensive errors are a weekly occurrence. Teams sit back and the rest is there for us to see. We are also inefficient. 10 chances and all we have is an own goal.

Thing is, if we took some of the 100s of clear chances we keep missing we wouldn't have to be concerned about the defence. The more that we miss them the more pressure we heap on the back.

West ham
Scum
Boro
Everton
WBA
Chelsea
Burnley
Soton
Sunderland

We should have smashed all of these and we've looked shaky cos we keep missing chances.

Fair point but the worrying thing is that whenever the opposition attack our goal I fear we are going to concede a goal with this shambolic defence. In 4 seasons we have gone from having the meanest defence in the league to the leakiest. We don't concede loads of chances but with this defence the opposition don't need too many chances to score and this is a huge problem
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:37 am

Start by dropping Bravo
Follow it up with Otter
Get two full backs.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby mr_nool » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:12 am

PeterParker wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Except Stones, all our defence including keepers are over 28 which is horrible at this point. We kept many of them too much instead of trying to change many of them. Now we have to do this all at once and we might get ahead of ourselves and buy some flops.

Now, he needs to stop this 3 on the back shit. It does not work,simple. Pellegrini would had been crucified (and was for far less decisions) for his decisions. Things will come, but I don't understand why he is trying this stuff with players that are not capable of doing what he actually wants.

Has a huge job on his hand. Let's see.

PS: I think we saw today the diffence from a team that is playing in Europe and one that is absent
PPS: Our schedule was excelent in the league and we manage to lose points were we shouldn't have. I hope in march-april-may this will not affect us that period when we will have derby after derby.

I don't like the 3 at the back stuff but is that reason we lost today or was it simply because our best players missed a whole bunch of great chances and then we committed hari kari with our defending

We keep on missing a lot, don't we?

Not normal for a team of our calibre. I think the 3 system will fail with any players there. This does not work in England. Simple example, trips at small teams, they usually need spaces on the lines to put good crosses in. We need RB and LB to stop that and help us up front. I understand what he is trying to do, but this is not Barcelona and Bayern. He does not understand England yet and his statements about refs is proving that. Here you will get a shitload of decisions against you and teams will play their heart out.

We played our best football under Pep with 4-2-3-1.

Chelsea are top of the league and they play with 3 at the back...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:17 am

As nool said three at the back isnt neccasarily the problem. In our case its the three we are using, at least two are very poor and the other is essentially a kid at a new club.

I think theres been very few matches pep has got his tactics wrong, they were right yest, we destroyed chelsea yest and should have been out of sight. Instead a couple of errors and chelsea efficiency and we lose 3-1. If we took our chances like our opposition did we would be 10 points clear.

So what we need is acouple of defenders and another striker and a bit of bloody fortune!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:10 am

roblues wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:Accept quickly he is trying to win an F1 with a ford transit, the players are not capable of playing his way, it really is that simple, defensive errors are a weekly occurrence. Teams sit back and the rest is there for us to see. We are also inefficient. 10 chances and all we have is an own goal.

Did all the clear chances we had create themselves? Did we miss them because of the tactics? Clearly something was working.

The game got away from us when the players stopped caring about shape and possession, as far as I could see

I am being picky, we have an own goal for all of our efforts, Chelsea have done the same as every team in the league but Bournemouth at our place, be paitient and chances will come. They rode there luck I watched it, however we all have to accept the defending aspect of our game is bottom half team, Barca win was great, but we have major issues, when asked to defend.
And defending starts way up the pitch, as for straight balls up to Costa. Don't get me started that is keystone cops.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:30 am

roblues wrote:He needs to address the mentality issues within the squad. As poor as Otamendi (and Bravo, to a lesser extent) looked on the first goal, Pep predicted that Chelsea would convert any chances they were given in his press conference yesterday. The team should have anticipated the likelihood of conceding and stuck to their game plan rather than losing their heads, letting the game slip away, and then losing their discipline.

Once the equalizer went in, the game was suddenly end to end. We got stretched out and were too far apart from each other. The first move after the kickoff was an aimless run up the left that led us nowhere, and when the ball came back to the half way line Stones played a ball to KDB which he miscontrolled and then threw his arms up as if to blame Stones. They need to stick together in moments like this.

One minute later, Sane decided to try to dribble through the middle and lost possession which almost gave Chelsea another chance. Then KDB tried the same, but deeper, and with the same result. Next possession Bravo went long to Aguero who was then pressing alone, 40 yards away from any other City player. After that Sane tried the same thing again and lost the ball again. Their heads went and so did the plan.

The mistakes that followed for goals 2 and 3 were inevitable, even though we still got a couple more half chances after the equalizer - the actual game plan went out of the window. Pep needs to convince them to stick to the system that was clearly working for them.

I think that's a pretty fair analysis. Guardiola went mad at Bravo when he punted that ball to Aguero.

I'd rather have Caballero in net as he is a much better keeper and can pass the ball fairly well. Other than that, the transfer window is the only short-term answer to the shit that is our defence, generally speaking. It's much too slow and takes too many unnecessary risks (Otter) or stupid punts into the air (Kolarov).
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:31 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
roblues wrote:He needs to address the mentality issues within the squad. As poor as Otamendi (and Bravo, to a lesser extent) looked on the first goal, Pep predicted that Chelsea would convert any chances they were given in his press conference yesterday. The team should have anticipated the likelihood of conceding and stuck to their game plan rather than losing their heads, letting the game slip away, and then losing their discipline.

Once the equalizer went in, the game was suddenly end to end. We got stretched out and were too far apart from each other. The first move after the kickoff was an aimless run up the left that led us nowhere, and when the ball came back to the half way line Stones played a ball to KDB which he miscontrolled and then threw his arms up as if to blame Stones. They need to stick together in moments like this.

One minute later, Sane decided to try to dribble through the middle and lost possession which almost gave Chelsea another chance. Then KDB tried the same, but deeper, and with the same result. Next possession Bravo went long to Aguero who was then pressing alone, 40 yards away from any other City player. After that Sane tried the same thing again and lost the ball again. Their heads went and so did the plan.

The mistakes that followed for goals 2 and 3 were inevitable, even though we still got a couple more half chances after the equalizer - the actual game plan went out of the window. Pep needs to convince them to stick to the system that was clearly working for them.

I think that's a pretty fair analysis. Guardiola went mad at Bravo when he punted that ball to Aguero.

I'd rather have Caballero in net as he is a much better keeper and can pass the ball fairly well. Other than that, the transfer window is the only short-term answer to the shit that is our defence, generally speaking. It's much too slow and takes too many unnecessary risks (Otter) or stupid punts into the air (Kolarov).
Oh, and take our chances. If KDB takes that chance we run out comfortable winners, despite that cunt of a ref.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:35 am

Dubciteh wrote:As nool said three at the back isnt neccasarily the problem. In our case its the three we are using, at least two are very poor and the other is essentially a kid at a new club.

I think theres been very few matches pep has got his tactics wrong, they were right yest, we destroyed chelsea yest and should have been out of sight. Instead a couple of errors and chelsea efficiency and we lose 3-1. If we took our chances like our opposition did we would be 10 points clear.

So what we need is acouple of defenders and another striker and a bit of bloody fortune!

Three at the back as such isn't the problem. The problem is the versatility and movement needed from those players in back four. Since they should all be centerbacks by trade (fullbacks there is mostly recipe for disaster for any manager trying it) you would need one left footed and on rightfooted. Otherwise wingers will take the piss always. One in the middle has to be supersolid. Essentially at the level we are aspiring to be we would have to have three more or oess world class central defenders with aforementioned attributes. Where the hell are we going to get those? Right now Kompany would be more than able player skillwise to play in the middle and lead the three but he is unfortunately physically done and will NEVER AGAIN play 40 or 50 odd games for us. Then we got Stones to play on the right. Mangala for all his weaknesses could've maybe vacated the position on the left. Otamendi would have been back up for Stones and Kompany. Other than that we simply don't have enough centerbacks. Which leads to misbalance we have in squad. We have ten million fullbacks, none of who are really suited to play centerback.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:04 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Dubciteh wrote:As nool said three at the back isnt neccasarily the problem. In our case its the three we are using, at least two are very poor and the other is essentially a kid at a new club.

Three at the back as such isn't the problem. The problem is the versatility and movement needed from those players in back four. Since they should all be centerbacks by trade (fullbacks there is mostly recipe for disaster for any manager trying it) you would need one left footed and on rightfooted. Otherwise wingers will take the piss always. One in the middle has to be supersolid. Essentially at the level we are aspiring to be we would have to have three more or oess world class central defenders with aforementioned attributes. Where the hell are we going to get those? Right now Kompany would be more than able player skillwise to play in the middle and lead the three but he is unfortunately physically done and will NEVER AGAIN play 40 or 50 odd games for us. Then we got Stones to play on the right. Mangala for all his weaknesses could've maybe vacated the position on the left. Otamendi would have been back up for Stones and Kompany. Other than that we simply don't have enough centerbacks. Which leads to misbalance we have in squad. We have ten million fullbacks, none of who are really suited to play centerback.

roll on the cigar man then
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby PeterParker » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:40 am

mr_nool wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
PeterParker wrote:Except Stones, all our defence including keepers are over 28 which is horrible at this point. We kept many of them too much instead of trying to change many of them. Now we have to do this all at once and we might get ahead of ourselves and buy some flops.

Now, he needs to stop this 3 on the back shit. It does not work,simple. Pellegrini would had been crucified (and was for far less decisions) for his decisions. Things will come, but I don't understand why he is trying this stuff with players that are not capable of doing what he actually wants.

Has a huge job on his hand. Let's see.

PS: I think we saw today the diffence from a team that is playing in Europe and one that is absent
PPS: Our schedule was excelent in the league and we manage to lose points were we shouldn't have. I hope in march-april-may this will not affect us that period when we will have derby after derby.

I don't like the 3 at the back stuff but is that reason we lost today or was it simply because our best players missed a whole bunch of great chances and then we committed hari kari with our defending

We keep on missing a lot, don't we?

Not normal for a team of our calibre. I think the 3 system will fail with any players there. This does not work in England. Simple example, trips at small teams, they usually need spaces on the lines to put good crosses in. We need RB and LB to stop that and help us up front. I understand what he is trying to do, but this is not Barcelona and Bayern. He does not understand England yet and his statements about refs is proving that. Here you will get a shitload of decisions against you and teams will play their heart out.

We played our best football under Pep with 4-2-3-1.

Chelsea are top of the league and they play with 3 at the back...

Yeah, because that is the only system Conte knows.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby patrickblue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:18 pm

Amongst all the anger and doom and gloom, I'd like to give a bit of praise for the much maligned Jesus Navas.
He played a bit of a blinder.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Vantage » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:45 pm

It's Big Willy Time. Bravo can do the ball juggling at half time.
Have you seen my bongos?
Vantage
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Paul Lake

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:20 pm

I think I'd prefer to get two forwards and a centre-half.

After that, bring in Gunn, Maffeo and Angelino and give them a good run to see how they develop. In the same way, I'd also keep the door open for Tosin and Garcia.

I'd just regard this season as a learning curve, prior to a major clear out in the summer.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby nottsblue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:54 pm

At the next press conference when asked about referees reply with "what is a referee? Is it an impartial adjudicator of the match who shows no bias to either side and is consistent in his decisions? Only I ask because the fellow who was in the position of referee in our last match didn't meet these requirements. In fact I would call him dishonest and/or incompetent at best and corrupt at worst."

See what the media hacks make of that
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:36 pm

patrickblue wrote:Amongst all the anger and doom and gloom, I'd like to give a bit of praise for the much maligned Jesus Navas.

I second that.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby nottsblue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:46 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
patrickblue wrote:Amongst all the anger and doom and gloom, I'd like to give a bit of praise for the much maligned Jesus Navas.

I second that.

Aye, could have had three or four assists if the others knew where the goal was
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Bluez » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:02 pm

As we never keep clean sheets its there we need to start.
He made a mistake with the keeper situation, Hart should have been given the chance to learn a short passing game. Bring him back.
Otamendi is a liability. While he didn't do it too often yesterday, he dives in too often spending way too much of the game on his arse. When he misses we are exposed. We need a centerback.
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby harveytravis » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:49 pm

Bluez wrote:As we never keep clean sheets its there we need to start.
He made a mistake with the keeper situation, Hart should have been given the chance to learn a short passing game. Bring him back.
Otamendi is a liability. While he didn't do it too often yesterday, he dives in too often spending way too much of the game on his arse. When he misses we are exposed. We need a centerback.

I think Hart should be given a chance.
harveytravis
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Man City

Postby gmercer1 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:45 pm

I've been on his back a lot the past season......but like you say he had one of his best games in a City shirt for me yesterday. The ref had one of his best games in a scum shirt
gmercer1
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Aguero

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum