Fernandinho & Aguero suspensions

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fernandinho & Aguero suspensions

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:08 pm

aaron bond wrote:
Our recruitment policy has been lousy for the last few years now.

From 2010-2013 we had a squad of players who could rival the best in the world. Now we have a few excellent players and a lot of not very good players (despite continually spending significant amounts).

We have a great chairman and CEO, but a poor Director of Football. That's the reality.

But Pep has to take some blame also at the moment. To go into the biggest match of the season with Otamendi-Stones-Kolarov as your defence is abysmal and he has to take the blame for that.

This is very improtant.
i've never been fan of director of football system mainly because of three things. A) If the squad isn't up to standards, which is the case right now to some extent, the blame falls on "manager" eventhough in that system somcalled manager is actually head coach. B) The recruitement policy will always lead to team purchasing players that aren't suited to system and/or mentality expected by the manager. C) This sytem always leads into power struggles if the manager is succesfull. Manager will inevitably have more say on squad decisions.

Right now we got probably the best manager in the world. He himself has said that he isn't particularily interested in putting the team together. And they even have history together. Yet clearly director of football has failed to put together team suited for the system and he has made so e truly terrible purchases from financial point of view like Mangala. I want to give Pep as much time as he needs as I trust him but I wouldn't say the same about Begiristain. He has been with us for four years and has had mediocre to poor reaults in his main job even with all the resources available.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:52 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
aaron bond wrote:

From 2010-2013 we had a squad of players who could rival the best in the world. Now we have a few excellent players and a lot of not very good players (despite continually spending significant amounts).

We have a great chairman and CEO, but a poor Director of Football. That's the reality.

But Pep has to take some blame also at the moment. To go into the biggest match of the season with Otamendi-Stones-Kolarov as your defence is abysmal and he has to take the blame for that.

This is very improtant.
i've never been fan of director of football system mainly because of three things. A) If the squad isn't up to standards, which is the case right now to some extent, the blame falls on "manager" eventhough in that system somcalled manager is actually head coach. B) The recruitement policy will always lead to team purchasing players that aren't suited to system and/or mentality expected by the manager. C) This sytem always leads into power struggles if the manager is succesfull. Manager will inevitably have more say on squad decisions.

Right now we got probably the best manager in the world. He himself has said that he isn't particularily interested in putting the team together. And they even have history together. Yet clearly director of football has failed to put together team suited for the system and he has made so e truly terrible purchases from financial point of view like Mangala. I want to give Pep as much time as he needs as I trust him but I wouldn't say the same about Begiristain. He has been with us for four years and has had mediocre to poor reaults in his main job even with all the resources available.

At the same time, I can sort of understand most of the recruitment policy. We're trying to build a squad for a Barca-like style of play and Barca usually don't binge on out and out forwards like Hughes and Mancini did. One, two is what they usually have. Right now they have one, Suarez, Messi and Neymar are much more dynamic player types.

As for the centre back issue, it's not like we haven't tried. Both Mangala and Otamendi came here with good reputations. There's almost always an element of gamble when you purchase a player.

The one thing I cannot wrap my mind around is our lack of interest in fullbacks and in this area I think the criticism of Tricky is warranted. Fullbacks are essential to a Barca-system yet we seem content with an ageing player pool that furthermore consists of fullbacks that are mainly one footed so they're easier to mark and trap than players that can at least try to touch the ball with their other foot.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby nottsblue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:05 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
aaron bond wrote:

This is very improtant.

At the same time, I can sort of understand most of the recruitment policy. We're trying to build a squad for a Barca-like style of play and Barca usually don't binge on out and out forwards like Hughes and Mancini did. One, two is what they usually have. Right now they have one, Suarez, Messi and Neymar are much more dynamic player types.

As for the centre back issue, it's not like we haven't tried. Both Mangala and Otamendi came here with good reputations. There's almost always an element of gamble when you purchase a player.

The one thing I cannot wrap my mind around is our lack of interest in fullbacks and in this area I think the criticism of Tricky is warranted. Fullbacks are essential to a Barca-system yet we seem content with an ageing player pool that furthermore consists of fullbacks that are mainly one footed so they're easier to mark and trap than players that can at least try to touch the ball with their other foot.

To be fair, we as fans never get the full picture of who we are really interested in and not just newspaper bullshit. And as such we are not privy to the behind the scenes negotiations. Who is to say we haven't tried to sign a couple of fullbacks but for whatever reason the deals haven't come off, either for financial reasons in so much as transfer fees, wages, agents fees or for footballing reasons in that the player didn't fancy England or indeed Manchester. Maybe we have faith in the two young lads who are on the verge of the first team and are hoping they kick on. Maybe the priority recently has been midfield and defence, to replace Yaya and Kompany.

We certainly need an overhaul and next summer we should see a bit more about what Pep wants as he will have been in the job a year and will know who out of the current squad are in his plans and who is not
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:28 pm

nottsblue wrote:To be fair, we as fans never get the full picture of who we are really interested in and not just newspaper bullshit. And as such we are not privy to the behind the scenes negotiations. Who is to say we haven't tried to sign a couple of fullbacks but for whatever reason the deals haven't come off, either for financial reasons in so much as transfer fees, wages, agents fees or for footballing reasons in that the player didn't fancy England or indeed Manchester. Maybe we have faith in the two young lads who are on the verge of the first team and are hoping they kick on. Maybe the priority recently has been midfield and defence, to replace Yaya and Kompany.

1. If we would have wanted to bring in fullbacks we would have. We bought Sterling and KdB last summer, Stones this window. Tough transfers to pull off but we did, so I'd say we haven't prioritized it. For the same reasons I'd say it's very unlikely that we only managed to focus on transfer targets that didn't like to come for England for cultural or social reasons but if we did, the Sporting Director is responsible.

2. Maffeo and Angelino have been on the verge of breaking into the team for two years now and are not closer than they were in 2014. Either we don't have faith in them or we are managing how we introduce academy products into the squad very poorly. Whatever the right answer is, the Sporting Director takes the blame.

3. There hasn't been any real attempt to replace Yaya until this summer.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:29 pm

Chelsea might have just eliminated us, three points and our two best players banned for 7 games, that's pro football, harsh if your Chelsea your pissing yourself. Football at any level when it comes down to it is about taking it away from your danger teams and we had a chance after a chance, spewed and a kick in the knackers last 20 mins plus chaos last 6 mins which hides the ref and our missed chances. Love the passion, but gonna cost us big time IMHO.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:32 pm

Oh yeah, about the overhaul. Started a thread about that during Mancini's last year or something like that a lot of shit for that. Only time I've been right about something important and Tricky probably has to answer about that as well. UEFA played a big part in that though but again, Mancini was banging on about freshjening up the squad already the day after we'd won the title (or something like that) and he was probably right.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Mase » Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:50 pm

Hazy2 wrote:our two best players banned for 7 games

Kolarov isn't banned mate. It was Aguero and Fern.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Hazy2 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:24 pm

Mase wrote:

He looked like he was towing the North Stand V Hazard.....
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby freshie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Mase wrote:

PMSL
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby freshie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:28 pm

Mase wrote:

Neither is Silva
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ruralblue » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:41 pm

freshie wrote:
Mase wrote:

Neither is Silva

Neither is Bravo.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby johnny crossan » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:23 pm

Just remind me of the punishment Scotty Dann got for this and how long Kun was out for afterwards.

Watch on youtube.com
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby zuricity » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:27 pm

Mase wrote:

:lol:
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby freshie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:31 pm

ruralblue wrote:
freshie wrote:
Mase wrote:

Neither is Silva

Neither is Bravo.

Unfortunately
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby getdressedmctavish » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:39 am

We will miss Fern. Aguero needs a rest. he has cost us nine or ten points this season and that is the sad truth.Had he been injured and we'd played Nacho we'd be half a dozen points clear. IMO
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:29 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:
aaron bond wrote:

This is very improtant.

I don't disagree with you but the mess we have at the backline is direct result of failed signings. And Txiki is responsible for that. It may not be about lack of effort but it isn't about lack of resources either. It's down to poor scouting and simply being unable to identify the kind of centerbacks we need. And the centerback issue has been there for years. Kompany being one of the best, at one time THE best, central defenders in the world hid the issue but it was still there. Now that he is physically more or less done we are badly exposed.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby zuricity » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:34 am

if we are going to persist with this style of play then you might as well play sterling, sane or Navas at the back cos those three are bleedin' fast and would be able to get a tackle in .

Any attacker in full flow and at high speed will always fly past a defended that has to turn and get going.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:36 am

how is fern a cunt?

he stepped in to protect his fucking team mates (nacho), got slapped and gave some to fab the cunt, who comppletely shat it and wouldnt even look at it.

Chelsea are just like united teams of old, and the cunt arsenal team with lehman and cole that stopped anelka getting the ball at Highbury.

Its impossible not to be fuming after that game, i just wish the players would show some fight on the pitch. They all look like cunts when chelsea scored all their goals. No leadership.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Original Dub » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:36 pm

What exactly is fernandinho banned for?
Original Dub

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:40 pm

Original Dub wrote:What exactly is fernandinho banned for?

Grabbing Cesc by the throat I assume, no complaints really, sorry I take that back, he should've fucking Thatchered him.

Cesc has to be banned for that slap to Fern's face.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum