But He Is Great With Ball at His Feet

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: But He Is Great With Ball at His Feet

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:23 am

Two's Kompany wrote:Some have said he wanted Ter Stegen. I think the truth is he wanted anyone else but Joe Hart.
Some Spanish-based journalists said he would 'test' the hierarchy like he did Bayern's. They didn't give in to his demands (was when he demanded Kroos was given top dollar in a new deal).
Apparently, despite it being very early in to his reign, he knew THEN he would never have 'control'.
He did it with Ronaldinho and Deco (I think) at Barca.
Thing is he had Messi. Here we've replaced a top keeper with a poor one. I'm not saying Hart had to say, I just believe we should have bought a better keeper or kept Hart until one became available.

Oh he definitely wanted to get rid of Hart first and foremost. Absolutely no question about that. What was the reason though? I've seen different theories but I'm thinking it was something that took place between Hart and Pep OR Hart and upper management. This was personal.

I mean, you look at how top clubs change their goalkeepers, especially ones who have undisputed pedigree of success. It always happens so that eventual replacement comes in first and then season long discontent follows ie "I'm happy to be at the club and waiting for my chance" blah blahblah bollocks. I'm sure Pep wanted to stamp his authority but he is no fool either.

This is pure guesswork but Hart started the preseason and everything seemed to he fine and dandy. Then all of the sudden in almost panicky fashion things started to change. I think Hart might've challenged Pep in training ground or in the changing room. You can't have that with senior players as a new manager.

I don't believe in power struggle theory. Not yet at least. Remember, Begiristain has not only worked with Pep before but they also played together for a long time.

Having said all that I still think he should've bit the bullet. I mean there are less than ten goalkeepers in the world who are suitable quality for us. And none of them are freely available. Also he should've noticed how terrible the situation was with our centerbacks so it would've been elemental to have someone steady behind them. They simply can't control the inevitable counterattacks coming our way.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:33 am

if hart ends up at liverpool next season.....??!!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:38 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:if hart ends up at liverpool next season.....??!!

My mystic meg prediction. He will go to Tottenham as Lloris replacement. Now what about swap deal with them? I'd like that.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:44 am

To those pining for Hart, you do realise that Bravo completely outperformed him over the past two seasons right?

This notion that Pep got Bravo because he couldn't get anyone else is also absurd.

Bravo was poor on Saturday on the 2nd and 3rd goal, there's no getting away from that, his inaction smacked of a keeper low in confidence, I wonder has that anything to do with that small group of City fans booing his name before the Boro game.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:16 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:To those pining for Hart...Bravo was poor on Saturday on the 2nd and 3rd goal, there's no getting away from that, his inaction smacked of a keeper low in confidence....

do you think Bravo is pining for the fjords of Barcelona?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:To those pining for Hart...Bravo was poor on Saturday on the 2nd and 3rd goal, there's no getting away from that, his inaction smacked of a keeper low in confidence....

No
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:37 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

No

Well, he says he is and he's playing like somebody who wants away, presumably to lower his fee. Major signing error it turns out, we gave him the benefit but, like the OP said, clearly he's a liability.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:39 am

johnny crossan wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

No

Well, he says he is and he's playing like somebody who wants away, presumably to lower his fee. Major signing error it turns out, we gave him the benefit but like the OP said, clearly he's a liability.

When did he say he is?

"Lower his fee" PMSL, get a grip on reality mate.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby City64 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:42 am

Ottamendi and Kolarov should be getting a whole more loada shit than Bravo , The stick he is getting is "scapegoat" stuff , Ottamendi and Kolarov have been fucking abysmal all season and the number of times Bravo gets exposed through those two clowns errors is beyond alarming .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:44 am

johnny crossan wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

No

Well, he says he is and he's playing like somebody who wants away, presumably to lower his fee. Major signing error it turns out, we gave him the benefit but like the OP said, clearly he's a liability.

"Lower his fee" PMSL, get a grip on reality mate.
The reality is that Bravo is not a top keeper and you are deluding yourself if you think he is,.
Significant buyer remorse is in order as with several Txiki/Pep signings, we could have done much, much better.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:51 am

The reality is he has just been nominated for FIFA's world XI shortlist, the reality is he has consistently outperformed Hart over the last two years, the reality is he has won the award as South America's best keeper in the last two Copas, the reality is that he was named in La Liga team of the year in 2014/15 season.

He's struggling to make a positive impression since he's signed for us but to call him a liability or suggest he's a poor keeper is just ignorant.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:11 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:The reality is he has just been nominated for FIFA's world XI shortlist, the reality is he has consistently outperformed Hart over the last two years, the reality is he has won the award as South America's best keeper in the last two Copas, the reality is that he was named in La Liga team of the year in 2014/15 season.

He's struggling to make a positive impression since he's signed for us but to call him a liability or suggest he's a poor keeper is just ignorant.

I usually find it unhelpful to regard those with whom I disagree on complex subjects as ignorant. Bravo may well be judged top banana in South America and Spain, not unconnected I suspect with the success of the teams he played for, but the cold reality here is otherwise. There is zero evidence that he has justified the faith placed in him in his performances for us. He should be dropped and replaced as soon as possible on the form he has shown. He currently looks like yet another expensive mistake.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:16 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:The reality is he has just been nominated for FIFA's world XI shortlist, the reality is he has consistently outperformed Hart over the last two years, the reality is he has won the award as South America's best keeper in the last two Copas, the reality is that he was named in La Liga team of the year in 2014/15 season.

Playing in La Liga for Barca is so very different to playing for City in Premier League. The football is different, the pace of game is different and first and foremost the attitude playing style of mid- and lower level teams playing against top teams is very VERY different than in Spain.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:20 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

Playing in La Liga for Barca is so very different to playing for City in Premier League. The football is different, the pace of game is different and first and foremost the attitude playing style of mid- and lower level teams playing against top teams is very VERY different than in Spain.

Don't disagree that the football is different but if we look at just the numbers over the past couple of years Bravo faced on average just .37 shots on target less per game than Hart did with a save percentage of 79%, Hart's over the last two seasons ( league only ) 69%.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby zuricity » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:21 am

Just to remind y'all. The relegated team in the PL earned more than Bayern for winning the Bundesliga.

The pressure is certainly there.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:32 am

City64 wrote:Otamendi and Kolarov should be getting a whole more loada shit than Bravo , The stick he is getting is "scapegoat" stuff , Ottamendi and Kolarov have been fucking abysmal all season and the number of times Bravo gets exposed through those two clowns errors is beyond alarming .

Agreed, neither of those two have the game to be part of a back 3. Kolarov is particularly unsuited given the need for acceleration and the ability to turn either way and use either foot in that role. Otamendi also lacks pace and dives in too much.
That said, Bravo has still been poor, even his distribution, which is his strength, has been full of errors.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:38 am

Don't disagree that the football is different but if we look at just the numbers over the past couple of years Bravo faced on average just .37 shots on target less per game than Hart did with a save percentage of 79%, Hart's over the last two seasons ( league only ) 69%.

He is definitely not an improvement on Hart. His positioning is awful and he doesn't know when to come out and close down a player.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby City64 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:00 am

johnny crossan wrote:
City64 wrote:Otamendi and Kolarov should be getting a whole more loada shit than Bravo , The stick he is getting is "scapegoat" stuff , Ottamendi and Kolarov have been fucking abysmal all season and the number of times Bravo gets exposed through those two clowns errors is beyond alarming .

Agreed, neither of those two have the game to be part of a back 3. Kolarov is particularly unsuited given the need for acceleration and the ability to turn either way and use either foot in that role. Otamendi also lacks pace and dives in too much.
That said, Bravo has still been poor, even his distribution, which is his strength, has been full of errors.

So it is a collective fuck up JC not just Bravo,s . Some using Bravo as a scapegoat are just way off the mark , his PL stats were better than Chav,s keeper Courtois before last Saturdays game so he is right up there whether some think he isn't good enough or not .
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nick » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:25 am

They shoot, they score.

It was exactly the same with Hart in net.

Bravo isn't good enough, but neither was Hart.

We've not seen Bravo's good distribution, like we did early on.

Fuck kolorov off and we might see an improvement.

Ota was abysmal for their second too.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby dazby » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:30 pm

Gunn will play for us before Hart will.

I think I've written that here before.

Anyways, it bears repeating.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

My favourite player is: Ed

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum