But He Is Great With Ball at His Feet

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: But He Is Great With Ball at His Feet

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:40 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:The reality is he has just been nominated for FIFA's world XI shortlist, the reality is he has consistently outperformed Hart over the last two years, the reality is he has won the award as South America's best keeper in the last two Copas, the reality is that he was named in La Liga team of the year in 2014/15 season.

He's struggling to make a positive impression since he's signed for us but to call him a liability or suggest he's a poor keeper is just ignorant.

Playing in La Liga for Barca is so very different to playing for City in Premier League. The football is different, the pace of game is different and first and foremost the attitude playing style of mid- and lower level teams playing against top teams is very VERY different than in Spain.

Don't disagree that the football is different but if we look at just the numbers over the past couple of years Bravo faced on average just .37 shots on target less per game than Hart did with a save percentage of 79%, Hart's over the last two seasons ( league only ) 69%.

I've seen enough of him and Barca (who hasn't) to know what Bravo is about. The difference clearly comes from the fact that PL football pokes his weaknesses and hides his strengths. In Spain (even more so in Italy) lot of mid and lower level teams settle for shooting from distance when they finally get the ball to oppo half which probably gets his stats up. Very few will try ever cross it as they are instructed to cut in rather than go towards corner flag.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY it's the exhausting pace of game in PL. Teams are all about counter attack and when they counterattack it's pass-pass-shoot or pass-pass-cross not 72×pass and then shot from outside the box. Lot has changed over the years, most players aren't even British anymore and it's much much more sophisticated than it used to be yet the pace of the game has never really slowed down. And I'm not calling PL better league than La Liga (well I think it's better but that's down to personal preference.... there's very good case to be made to call La Liga as good if not better) but there are very few teams who just come in and roll over and die. I think this has taken even great Pep by surprise and he and Txiki simply overestimated how quickly "The System" will adapt to England and understimated how much they need to mix parts of traditional British football to that aforementioned system. Bravo is just part of that learning curve. Poor fit to Premier League.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:03 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:The reality is he has just been nominated for FIFA's world XI shortlist, the reality is he has consistently outperformed Hart over the last two years, the reality is he has won the award as South America's best keeper in the last two Copas, the reality is that he was named in La Liga team of the year in 2014/15 season.

He's struggling to make a positive impression since he's signed for us but to call him a liability or suggest he's a poor keeper is just ignorant.

Playing in La Liga for Barca is so very different to playing for City in Premier League. The football is different, the pace of game is different and first and foremost the attitude playing style of mid- and lower level teams playing against top teams is very VERY different than in Spain.

Don't disagree that the football is different but if we look at just the numbers over the past couple of years Bravo faced on average just .37 shots on target less per game than Hart did with a save percentage of 79%, Hart's over the last two seasons ( league only ) 69%.

I've seen enough of him and Barca (who hasn't) to know what Bravo is about. The difference clearly comes from the fact that PL football pokes his weaknesses and hides his strengths. In Spain (even more so in Italy) lot of mid and lower level teams settle for shooting from distance when they finally get the ball to oppo half which probably gets his stats up. Very few will try ever cross it as they are instructed to cut in rather than go towards corner flag.

But MOST IMPORTANTLY it's the exhausting pace of game in PL. Teams are all about counter attack and when they counterattack it's pass-pass-shoot or pass-pass-cross not 72×pass and then shot from outside the box. Lot has changed over the years, most players aren't even British anymore and it's much much more sophisticated than it used to be yet the pace of the game has never really slowed down. And I'm not calling PL better league than La Liga (well I think it's better but that's down to personal preference.... there's very good case to be made to call La Liga as good if not better) but there are very few teams who just come in and roll over and die. I think this has taken even great Pep by surprise and he and Txiki simply overestimated how quickly "The System" will adapt to England and understimated how much they need to mix parts of traditional British football to that aforementioned system. Bravo is just part of that learning curve. Poor fit to Premier League.

Now that's a fair, well considered post and ultimately you may well be right, I'm still inclined to give him more time as he's proved throughout his career that he's a top keeper.

Much prefer to read stuff like this than people labelling him a liability or a clown and what not. Kudos.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby City64 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:30 am

You have answered the bigger picture question with your reply there NQDP . The big picture is that Peps "system" isn't working yet in the Premier League because of the reasons you have articulated plus the fact it is now almost impossible for any one club to dominate in the PL in this current era . Also "outside" factors handicap clubs results on the pitch in the PL last Saturdays "performance " by Anthony Taylor plus the media cover up are a prime example . None of this is Bravo,s fault he is just part of Pep,s system and I also believe Joe Hart would have suffered even more in the current system because his distribution is diabolical although he is an exceptional shot stopper . Pep is in the most difficult period of his managerial career right now , the Sheik and Tixi know this , Pep is facing a huge challenge . Chelsea and Arsenal will be our main title contenders and Liverpool wont be far off , the next month is going to be very interesting indeed .
Last edited by City64 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:32 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:...Much prefer to read stuff like this than people labelling him a liability or a clown and what not. Kudos.

like the OP lol
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:38 am

johnny crossan wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:...Much prefer to read stuff like this than people labelling him a liability or a clown and what not. Kudos.

like the OP lol

Yes and NQDP will be fully aware that's what I was referring to.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:18 pm

Poor Giuseppe didn't have a great day at the office at the weekend either.

3 min 20 sec in

https://youtu.be/9TrDcW9sKmg
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby mr_nool » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:20 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Poor Giuseppe didn't have a great day at the office at the weekend either.

3 min 20 sec in

https://youtu.be/9TrDcW9sKmg

Fabulous shot-stopping ;-)
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Moonchesteri » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:35 pm

If he makes basic errors at City and we concede because of it he how is it ignorant to call him a liability? Because that is also reality.

He can't really be a shit keeper when "reality is that he's this and that" but he plays like one now.
What is the reason behind that is up for discussion though. Lack of time together with the "back four"? Lack of confidence which could be why he is so incredibly hesitant coming out of his line? Has the pace and style of football taken him by surprise? Is he injured? I don't know but we need him playing like an experienced pro not like a 13yo boy because Gunn could do that too.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:45 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

If he makes basic errors at City and we concede because of it he how is it ignorant to call him a liability? Because that is also reality.

He can't really be a shit keeper when "reality is that he's this and that" but he plays like one now.
What is the reason behind that is up for discussion though. Lack of time together with the "back four"? Lack of confidence which could be why he is so incredibly hesitant coming out of his line? Has the pace and style of football taken him by surprise? Is he injured? I don't know but we need him playing like an experienced pro not like a 13yo boy because Gunn could do that too.

Fair enough on the liability but for me he has made very few errors, he's getting blamed for almost every goal we conceded since he's arrived, that's just nonsense imo.

I was disappointed with him on Saturday but I still have faith he'll find form and show why he's been rated as one of the world's best keepers over the last few years.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:53 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Fair enough on the liability but for me he has made very few errors, he's getting blamed for almost every goal we conceded since he's arrived, that's just nonsense imo.
I was disappointed with him on Saturday but I still have faith he'll find form and show why he's been rated as one of the world's best keepers over the last few years.

We all hope he lives up to his billing soon, it's early in his City career and there's still time to repay the faith shown in him by the Pep.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:02 pm

The thing that really struck me about Bravo on Saturday was his lack of stature.
You see Courtois at one end fill the goal and make it look small for our forwards and you look at the figure of Bravo on the one on ones and he doesn't look intimidating.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:15 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:The thing that really struck me about Bravo on Saturday was his lack of stature.
You see Courtois at one end fill the goal and make it look small for our forwards and you look at the figure of Bravo on the one on ones and he doesn't look intimidating.

All the goals caught him on his heels, he didn't anticipate the timing of the shots and was late with his positioning - not poised and ready to spring.
It's happened before and it looks like a serious technical issue. There was a passing reference by Kamara on GOS, it's favourite theme of his, usually wheeled out for Joe.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:10 am

I've just been looking through the numbers in terms of shots on target for and against between this season and last.

Something that struck me was that last season we conceded 3.2 shots on target per game in the league and conceded 1.07 goals per game.

Since Bravo has come in we have conceded 3.2 shots on target per game in the league and conceded 1.07 goals per game.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Plain Speaking » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:21 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I've just been looking through the numbers in terms of shots on target for and against between this season and last.

Something that struck me was that last season we conceded 3.2 shots on target per game in the league and conceded 1.07 goals per game.

Since Bravo has come in we have conceded 3.2 shots on target per game in the league and conceded 1.07 goals per game.

Have you got a source?
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Original Dub » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:26 am

Well they're pretty clear stats.

Obviously we should be concentrating on other areas.
Original Dub

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:28 am

Plain Speaking wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I've just been looking through the numbers in terms of shots on target for and against between this season and last.

Have you got a source?

http://www.footcharts.co.uk/index.cfm?t ... tsontarget

They're overall team stats, so had to take out the three games Caballero played at the start of the season and do some math.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:19 am

Original Dub wrote:Well they're pretty clear stats.

Wait, are you saying that A) we were defending well last year so we should concentrate on other areas and/or B) Claudio Bravo is playing as good if not better that Joe Hart last season?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:45 am

Wait, are you saying that A) we were defending well last year so we should concentrate on other areas and/or B) Claudio Bravo is playing as good if not better that Joe Hart last season?

I'm saying it appears that little has changed in the goalkeeping department from this point last season.
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:55 pm

Original Dub wrote:

I'm saying it appears that little has changed in the goalkeeping department from this point last season.

Yet, watching the games tells everyone a LOT has changed. Just goes to prove once again that football isn't really numbers game.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:59 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Yet, watching the games tells everyone a LOT has changed. Just goes to prove once again that football isn't really numbers game.

In terms of keeping the ball out of the net fuck all has changed as the numbers show.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum