Cobbler speaks about City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Cobbler speaks about City

Postby Justified logic » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:50 pm

Shoe services (try saying that after a few sherbets!) Timpson chairman, John Timpson, has an interesting agony business guru column in the Telegraph that I eventually get around to reading. This is from last Tuesday, 1 November, and is, I think, rather a good bit of City trumpet blowing (the second part is also interesting as it is pertinent to succession planning at footy clubs, inter alia):

What businesses can learn from my beloved Manchester City

Ask John
What businesses can learn from my beloved Manchester City

Straight-talking, common sense from the front line of management
John Timpson

Q Business owners and leaders have taken many lessons from sport. As a Manchester City fan, what do you think businesses can take from the “beautiful game”?

A Even though we currently sit near the top of the league, I’ve learnt to expect the unexpected. Even the manager, Pep Guardiola, is getting a feel for the fragility fans experienced in the dark days of Division 2. But the arrival of mega-rich owners has given us all a greater sense of security.

It has been great fun since the takeover in 2008, but although it’s comforting to have an owner worth £20bn, I was alarmed to discover that two years later, the club’s wages were more than 100pc of turnover. I now think that Sheikh Mansour’s £1bn investment is starting to look like a masterclass in long term planning.

Success on the pitch, lucrative licensing deals and worldwide brand awareness are beginning to pay off. Last year the club made a profit of £10.7m, still less than the annual salary paid to Yaya Toure, whose pay isn’t far short of the profit recently predicted by Majestic Wine. I find it amazing that one footballer, who currently doesn’t get picked to play, can have the same net income as about 200 well-run wine warehouses.

Football clubs have a few enviable advantages. Loyal customers who resolutely refuse to go to a competitor, and other companies keen to pay big money to put their logo on players’ shirts. But there are downsides, with weekly results broadcast across the media, and customers keen to make cutting criticism of the management.

However, I’m not complaining about Mr Guardiola, who arrived with a clear strategy, inspired by Johan Cruyff’s interpretation of “total football”, which he has put into practice by changing our goalkeeper, making the rest of the squad faster and fitter, and picking players with the right personality.

Eighteen months ago, I had a chance to judge our first team squad. My late wife Alex was invited to the City training ground, where we met the players.

While Alex chatted to her heroes, from David Silva to Pablo Zabaleta, I was rating their personalities on a scale of one to 10. Pep has put most of my high-scorers in the Champions League squad. Like every good business manager, he doesn’t just rely on skills; he picks people for their personality.

Q I’ve built a successful scientific business over 36 years. I handed over my managing director responsibilities to a colleague 16 years ago. He does a good job and we have an excellent relationship. My concern is that none of the other directors show any leadership. You seem to be able to find people and delegate areas of your business successfully. What’s the trick?

A A company needs only one leader. Success is created by a chief executive with the personality, presence, ideas and drive to inspire the whole team. He or she must also be good at picking the right people, who can put the ideas into practice.

You seem to have a CEO who fits that description, so there’s no need for the team to be full of inspirational leaders. They should have the talent to be trusted to run their department and lead their own team. When planning your succession, it helps to have one of your senior team showing the signs of being a leader. But it’s impossible to judge the real ability of a leader (even Hillary Clinton or Theresa May) until they take on the top job.

John Timpson is chairman of the high-street services provider, Timpson.
Send him an email at: askjohn@telegraph.co.uk
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Cobbler speaks about City

Postby patrickblue » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:48 pm

I remember getting 10% off with my ST when I got a key cut there,
I seem to recall that they sponsored the old scoreboard at what was then Eastlands in the good old bad old days.
But I never knew John Timpson was a City fan.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Re: Cobbler speaks about City

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:05 pm

Good man and a view that is rarely aired.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Return to The Maine Football forum