To much left to do to win PL title in 2016/2017?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Postby Dimples » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:49 am

It is a big ask now IMO because:

1. 27 games left with 33% of those Vs. the top 6 challengers(Liv, Chel, Ars, Spurs, MU, Eve)
2. Those 9 games include: home and away Vs. Liv, Chel and Ars
3. One run of 3 games is: Liv H, Ars A, Chel A
4. We are dropping points again'st the 'lower' teams, that is the killer, you have to win these
5. It is proven that mid-week CL football negatively impacts on a team's perfromance the following w/e in the PL

What do you think?
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Re: To much left to do to win PL title in 2016/2017?

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:57 am

Dimples wrote:To much left to do to win PL title in 2016/2017?

1. 27 games left with 33% of those Vs. the top 6 challengers(Liv, Chel, Ars, Spurs, MU, Eve)
4. We are dropping points again'st the 'lower' teams, that is the killer, you have to win these
5. It is proven that mid-week CL football negatively impacts on a team's perfromance the following w/e in the PL

What do you think?

absolutely nothing to worry about
everything is tickityboo!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:03 pm

5. Is why I fancy either Liverpool or Chelsea for the title.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Crossie » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:03 pm

Right now it feels like we won't be winning the league. It also feels exactly like last season, except for a win vs Barca.

You can't draw at home against mid table and relegation fodder and expect to win the league.

Balancing the opinion, we're still right in it and relatively untested against the top 6 so far. It might be that we benefit from playing them because the games will be more open.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Tokyo Blue » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:08 pm

Crossie wrote:Right now it feels like we won't be winning the league. It also feels exactly like last season, except for a win vs Barca.

You can't draw at home against mid table and relegation fodder and expect to win the league.

Balancing the opinion, we're still right in it and relatively untested against the top 6 so far. It might be that we benefit from playing them because the games will be more open.

This. Our home games are prodigiously tedious because, a) the opposition put all eleven men behind the ball and refuse to even attempt to score a goal, and b) nothing else. Bigger teams will have a go and try to win the match. We will beat the lot of them unless we get clattenbunged again.

I believe we will also have a better record away from home than at home this season for the same reason and that might prove crucial.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:16 pm

Presumably the top 6 challengers will also have to play us.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:29 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Crossie wrote:Right now it feels like we won't be winning the league. It also feels exactly like last season, except for a win vs Barca.

This. Our home games are prodigiously tedious because, a) the opposition put all eleven men behind the ball and refuse to even attempt to score a goal, and b) nothing else. Bigger teams will have a go and try to win the match. We will beat the lot of them unless we get clattenbunged again.

I believe we will also have a better record away from home than at home this season for the same reason and that might prove crucial.

Good shout Tokyo, particularly as there are still a lot of games to play and anything can happen.

Our away games, especially against the top sides, might well prove to be high scoring affairs and those sides who occupy the top spots in November, don't necessarily go on to win the League.

In a strange way, City not being top at this stage might take a little of the pressure/attention off us and, when we get to the 'business end' of the season, if we can put in a strong finish, who knows what could happen.

At the end of the day, we'll be OK if we can start putting away a greater percentage of the chances we usually create in most games
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby City64 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Liverpool will implode as usual , they aren't good enough to win the league BUT are our biggest threat IMHO . Chelsea are in a good moment but were fucking gash until now and heavily reliant on Hazard and Costa . Only 11 games gone yes dippers and chavs are fresh through no European competition . Long old season and some throwing the towel in already ??? fuck me time to stay off this board for a week methinks !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Cocacolajojo » Mon Nov 07, 2016 12:54 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:

This is what I'm hoping for as well, I.E. good away record.

I think, and thought, the Barcelona game would exercise a few mental demons but it seems we're still not at 100 % focus. I hope and think that we will get there and I think we will be within a shout of the title come spring.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby sheblue » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:19 pm

Its all about fine lines.
One of them gazillion chances goes in on Saturday and its 2-0 @ HT. Game is probably over and were top of the tree and favorites to win it again.
Its very hard to call, after last season its foolish to write off any of the sides up there, ourselves included. Not having European football is certainly a big advantage to chelsea and red scouse, but there's more to it than that.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:41 pm

Counting gets injured the vermin are fooked
Arse us and Chelsea will be there at the shake up.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Justified logic » Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:59 pm

What do you think?

Win those 9/33% of games and we've probably won the league...
It's not over till it's over.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:15 pm

Justified logic wrote:

What do you think?

Win those 9/33% of games and we've probably won the league...
It's not over till it's over.

It's as open as fook, and we've a better chance than most as we have the best squad.

And don't forget, Jesus is arriving at Christmas to be our saviour.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby nottsblue » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:47 pm

If our previous PL titles have taught us anything, it's that it's a long season with many twists and turns along the way. We ourselves will get further injuries, suspensions and drop more silly points before the season is out. But so will our rivals.

Provided we have a better head to head with our main rivals then we will be in pole position. Yes we have the added distraction of the CL but I honestly feel that success in that will instill confidence into the team that will transfer to the domestic campaign. Provided Pep manages the squad accordingly. But ultimately the PL will be won and lost with the games against the rest of the top four or five.

Too much already to do? The short answer is no, we are but two points off the pace.

As it goes, I wonder whether our owners and Pep have prioritised Europe over domestic glory this season. I get the impression the formations and tactics we are using suit European football more and we are using the PL to perfect them for the CL.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:50 pm

It's November!!!
Get a grip.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby ruralblue » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 pm

Wow! Can't believe folks are even thinking that far ahead at this early stage.

As Made can often be heard saying.... Do not forget where we have come from!
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:31 pm

not logged in for a while - but do not remember it being this 'doom-mongering / knee-jerk'

Surely we should be looking at this from the viewpoint that we are early in the season – with a new manager and players adapting.

Even so we are right in the mix – not far away from a period where we can focus on the PL until the next round of the CL and we have it our own hands as we have so many games against the only credible rivals

Glass half full and all that

Oh – and also some team is going to take a right battering from us soon
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Grandad Rosler » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:40 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:It's November!!!
Get a grip.

Definitely this! Surely we can't be written off against anyone on our day, and other teams will also come unstuck. Way too far to go
Grandad Rosler
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

My favourite player is: Andy Morrison

Postby Moonchesteri » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:42 pm

Way too early to rule out any of the big clubs as it's a loooong season. Teams can go on for amazing runs and equally they can fuck up three, four, five games in a row and those mean huge swings in the table.
Dippers and Chelsea have huge advantage without the europe and especially CL may easily be our downfall as the club prioritises that competition and it will show in our league form.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby london blue 2 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:45 pm

16 more points and we're safe for another year :roll:
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum