Fortress Etihad

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Fortress Etihad

Postby Original Dub » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:32 am

Pretty impressive.

Odd thread.
Original Dub

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:06 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Annyways....... what do people think of our homeform over the last year or so and why we aren't as solid as we used to be?

We're definitely not as mentally strong at home as we were the last two years of Mancini's reign or the first year of Pellegrini. It's a shame we lost that and it's likely related to the strange season wr had last season when at times, it was like there was noone running the team.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:08 am

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Annyways....... what do people think of our homeform over the last year or so and why we aren't as solid as we used to be?

We're definitely not as mentally strong at home as we were the last two years of Mancini's reign or the first year of Pellegrini. It's a shame we lost that and it's likely related to the strange season wr had last season when at times, it was like there was noone running the team.

we have no leaders in the team
just a bunch of guys 'doing their job'
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:47 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

The same guys came to the Etihad determined to win from the start of the game and often intimated teams of the pitch. I remember one game against Stoke in our title winning season, it felt like Pulis' men never left their own penalty box. I see where you're coming from but I don't agree that it's the explanation. I'd agree that it probably expains Yaya's behaviour but I don't think the rest are just workers. If anything, I think the team is lacking in team spirit or whatever you call it. It will take time for Pep to get that sort of focus and bond going again.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:23 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

First sensible post.
That's what I've been thinking. Vinnie is always injured, Hart is goner and Yaya is done. All our on and off the pitch leaders are not as efective as they used to be. We need one of themyounger guys to step up and show true leadership.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:25 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

The same guys came to the Etihad determined to win from the start of the game and often intimated teams of the pitch. I remember one game against Stoke in our title winning season, it felt like Pulis' men never left their own penalty box. I see where you're coming from but I don't agree that it's the explanation. I'd agree that it probably expains Yaya's behaviour but I don't think the rest are just workers. If anything, I think the team is lacking in team spirit or whatever you call it. It will take time for Pep to get that sort of focus and bond going again.

You saw that with almost every team outside of top 4. The6 came to Etihad with only aim being to lose for just few goals. I haven't seen much of that in about year or so.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby nottsblue » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:02 pm

All champions from any league or any time have good home records. The very best teams win games before the opposition have even got off the coach. We had that in Pellegrini's first season where we only dropped points once, Sunderland if I recall. I think a lot of it was down to the sheer number of goals we scored and not necessarily the way we played or set up to play. Teams from the lower echelons of the table would look at the fixture and be genuinely concerned they could get a savage beating which could impact the next few games for themselves and not least their goal difference. Even if a side scored two, we would get four or five. Of course teams parked the bus but we had the attacking prowess to unlock the door and then smash it down.

Getting back to today, we have arguably a more rounded side with better quality players, think KDB and Sterling but we somehow lack the potency of a couple of years ago. I mean, we scored over 100 PL goals and I think we will be twenty or so short of that this campaign. That equals a goal per home goal game and psychologically the difference between a Watford or a WBA or a West Ham or an Everton or a Hull coming to avoid a mauling or actually thinking if luck is on their side they could fluke a result.

In short, we need to be more ruthless at home more often and get the early season swagger back.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby freshie » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:47 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

Give this man some fucking Prozac!
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nick » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:16 am

if only mancini hadn't tried to take the piss and try a back 3 with maicaon ay...
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Original Dub » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:48 am

freshie wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

It's not him, don't you know everything has fallen apart completely and we're doomed?

Anyone who disagrees must be deluded.
Original Dub

Postby Nige » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:56 pm

Having a few shots from more than 6 yards out would be my view. The crowd love a shot and it springs doubt into the opposition. We seem to try to fight as a team and crowd for the last few minutes when we are chasing 3 points. Eg Everton. Doing this for the first few minutes would bring back some solidity.
lets wish for good days but not forget the bad days
Nige
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Fern 1

Postby freshie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:06 am

Original Dub wrote:
freshie wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

It's not him, don't you know everything has fallen apart completely and we're doomed?

Anyone who disagrees must be deluded.

It's getting so tedious. Can't work out if he's on a wind up or in need of professional help. Either way it's very sad
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:10 am

yeah, really sad to want the players to wear the shirt with pride and passion for 90 minutes in every game...
what a boring cunt i am.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:24 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:yeah, really sad to want the players to wear the shirt with pride and passion for 90 minutes in every game...
what a boring cunt i am.

Don't mind.
you make a pretty good points. Personally I think up and down is to be expected this early of Pep era but also we will have to work towards being more consistent.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:42 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:yeah, really sad to want the players to wear the shirt with pride and passion for 90 minutes in every game...
what a boring cunt i am.

Go to the match thread for the Real Madrid semi final second leg and other threads created after we were beaten and you should find posts from a few hypocritical wankers.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:36 pm

what a boring cunt i am.

Pride and passion hasn't been our biggest issue by a long way this season.

I don't know what matches you were watching but so far, only spurs and first half against Southampton could that be said.

Yet you mention it every week.

Can you not see that individual errors have been our undoing when results didn't go our way?

Seriously?
Original Dub

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:10 pm

Original Dub wrote:
what a boring cunt i am.

I don't know what matches you were watching but so far, only spurs and first half against Southampton could that be said.

Can you not see that individual errors have been our undoing when results didn't go our way?

Seriously?

yes. seriously.
people are raving that kun covered 10km+ y'day vs an average ~8km. that's 25 (twentyfuckingfive!!!) % more than usual.
what does that tell you od?
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:25 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
what a boring cunt i am.

Seriously?

yes. seriously.
people are raving that kun covered 10km+ y'day vs an average ~8km. that's 25 (twentyfuckingfive!!!) % more than usual.

That was last season's average. It tells me exactly what I suspected, that our players are working a lot harder this season than last.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:47 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:
Original Dub wrote:
what a boring cunt i am.

Seriously?

yes. seriously.

That was last season's average. It tells me exactly what I suspected, that our players are working a lot harder this season than last.

how many times have you seen kun play like he did on saturday ?! he obviously has it in him...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:35 am

Original Dub wrote:
what a boring cunt i am.

Seriously?

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=52067

That is such a nonsensical post even by your standards. In above topic you say that workrate and application, hallmarks of pride and passion, has been missing yet here you say that there has been practically no lack of effort.

Now I personally don't think we lack effort or even pride and passion. Players are just little bit confused with Pep's fairly sophisticated system in certain situations. They will get used to it eventually. I think Pep should have hold on to and/or play some of the old leaders more to get people around more comfortable and THEN drop them to bench and/or get rid. But he obviously wants to drill it from day one and I'm certainly going to give him benefit of doubt for couple of seasons. I think at that stage with some of the youngsters maturing we will be all-conquering side.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum