Penalties

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Penalties

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:43 am

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:Tell one of the best strikers in the world and the best at the club that you don't trust them to score from a few yards. Do more damage than good. Stick with him.

Pep agrees and has said so. I'm guessing he's really saying Kun gets one more chance to set it straight and then he gets the hook.

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Plain Speaking » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:01 pm

We don't need just one good penalty taker, we need to develop the team and squad to be proficient. Most cups have penalty shootouts at some stage in the competition. We need to improve our Penalty, free kick and corner technique. This needs to be practiced more. Personally I think they should finish training sessions with penalty practice when the player's leg's are tired. See who consistently performs the best and let the penalty taker be awarded on merit.
Plain Speaking
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:12 pm

on second thoughts just forget about it we dont get awarded penalties by all those bent refs anyway........... :lol:
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby phips » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:12 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Two's Kompany wrote:Gundogan. Took the one for Dortmund in champions league final when they were 1-0 down. As my son said, probably doesn't get anymore pressure than that.

Yes, yes.

Against Neuer. He was cool as fuck. People call him Coolio, but I think we will see when we get there.

this was my thought as well. took it ahead of Lewandowski & Reus back then.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby littlebig » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:31 pm

Sergio has never been good on penos, I'm never confident when he steps up, he doesn't put his foot through them. That's the way penos should be taken, with a lot of power, so even if the goalie does get a hand on them they may still power through. Silva would be worse though.

Gundogan is a good option if he's confident to take them and has done so before. Ian should be given a chance too. Confidence is the main thing for penos.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Hutch's Shoulder » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:52 pm

Bravo.
Hutch's Shoulder
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City of course
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:52 pm

I read an article a couple of months back that put him above Messi for converting, netting 3 out of 4 on average.

Just needs a bit of practice to get his sighting sorted.

Aguero for me.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby PrezIke » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:03 pm

littlebig wrote:Sergio has never been good on penos, I'm never confident when he steps up, he doesn't put his foot through them. That's the way penos should be taken, with a lot of power, so even if the goalie does get a hand on them they may still power through. Silva would be worse though.

Gundogan is a good option if he's confident to take them and has done so before. Ian should be given a chance too. Confidence is the main thing for penos.

Never been good? No disrespect, but if that's not hyperbole I don't what is is.

Aguero's all competitions ratio is 83%

http://www.transfermarkt.com/sergio-agu ... bewerb_id=

Rooney 79%

Ronaldo 84% (allegedly one of the best of all time according to lists)

http://www.transfermarkt.com/cristiano- ... ieler/8198

Lampard 85% (also on such lists)

http://www.transfermarkt.com/frank-lamp ... ieler/3163

Messi 78%

http://www.transfermarkt.com/lionel-mes ... bewerb_id=

That being said, Yaya has NEVER missed a pen in his career... 12 for 12 :o
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby MARKMAKAVELI » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:55 am

PeterParker wrote: People call him Coolio, but I think we will see when we get there.

Think this went over many heads. Well done :D
MARKMAKAVELI
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby PeterParker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:31 am

MARKMAKAVELI wrote:
PeterParker wrote: People call him Coolio, but I think we will see when we get there.

Think this went over many heads. Well done :D

Haha, finally. Cheers.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:55 am

PrezIke wrote:
littlebig wrote:Sergio has never been good on penos, I'm never confident when he steps up, he doesn't put his foot through them. That's the way penos should be taken, with a lot of power, so even if the goalie does get a hand on them they may still power through. Silva would be worse though.

Rooney 79%

Messi 78%

Transfermarkt is a great resource but for some reason they have omitted Aguero's recent penalty miss, from the Argentina game, from those stats, in the link you provided. If my maths are right that gives Kun a 77% success rate.
Plain Speaking

Postby littlebig » Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:04 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

Rooney 79%

Messi 78%

Transfermarkt is a great resource but for some reason they have omitted Aguero's recent penalty miss, from the Argentina game, from those stats, in the link you provided. If my maths are right that gives Kun a 77% success rate.

Sergio whole career: 29 scored and 8 missed, I don't think that makes 83%? I love the lad and can see the point about damage caused by taking him off penos but even the ones he does score seem to be not great, not in the corners nor powerful.
littlebig
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Vinnie Kompany

Postby Plain Speaking » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:39 pm

littlebig wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:Transfermarkt is a great resource but for some reason they have omitted Aguero's recent penalty miss, from the Argentina game, from those stats, in the link you provided. If my maths are right that gives Kun a 77% success rate.

Sergio whole career: 29 scored and 8 missed, I don't think that makes 83%? I love the lad and can see the point about damage caused by taking him off penos but even the ones he does score seem to be not great, not in the corners nor powerful.

He's missed 9, the Argentina miss last week wasn't included in the 8 misses from transfermarkt.
Plain Speaking

Postby PrezIke » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:03 pm

Plain Speaking wrote:
littlebig wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:Transfermarkt is a great resource but for some reason they have omitted Aguero's recent penalty miss, from the Argentina game, from those stats, in the link you provided. If my maths are right that gives Kun a 77% success rate.

He's missed 9, the Argentina miss last week wasn't included in the 8 misses from transfermarkt.

Not sure how I messed it up initially.

Basically he has had a poor run since last season and dropped his percentage significantly.

The negatives of dropping him from our pen taker now outweigh the positives just yet, from a managerial standpoint. It could hurt his confidence.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:15 pm

PrezIke wrote:
Plain Speaking wrote:
littlebig wrote:

Not sure how I messed it up initially.

Basically he has had a poor run since last season and dropped his percentage significantly.

The negatives of dropping him from our pen taker now outweigh the positives just yet, from a managerial standpoint. It could hurt his confidence.

Or he could knuckle down and do some extra practice, for if ever he is called upon again to take one.
Not saying he would sulk, but it doesn't matter who they are, if they go all mard-arsed to hell with them.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum