So What Do We Think of Pepman Now?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Pep Guardiola is....

A godlike genius. He is taking us to places.
83%
enigma. I'm sitting on a fence here
17%
Reincarnation of Mark Hughes... possibly Alan Ball's illegitimate son.
No votes

Total votes : 63

Re: So What Do We Think of Pepman Now?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:08 pm

patrickblue wrote:I think we should have a dedicated kneejerk forum.
It would be really busy, but this one would die a slow death.

That would make some sense if someone had actually complained about Pep. Looking at the vote and the topic though that comment makes zero sense.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:10 pm

nottsblue wrote:A few more tweaks and we will get better still. Unlucky yesterday in facing a goalie on his game. Coupled with the missed penalties and on another day we win. The possesion, territorial advantage, chances created, chances limited for the opposition and general play were all heavily in our favour and an indication of where we aspire to be.

Play like that each time and we win the league. No concerns from me whatsover at this stage

And yet, NB old chum, whenever match day comes around, it's always you and I who are worried about the opposition and we always seem to agree that we'd settle for a scrappy 1-0 victory, just to get the three points.

It's amazing what being 'City daft' does to us :? :? :? :? :?
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Sideshow Bob » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:23 pm

Hart is world class...lol ok.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby BookJunior » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:44 pm

I thought we played really well yesterday without getting the result we deserved. Thats football.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Justified logic » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:So we are experiencing a clear dip in form. Where do we stand now on these early days of Pep era?

Own goals, horrendous Kolarov mistakes, missed penalties, knee jerk reaction. We are not experiencing a clear dip in form, we are experiencing a clear dip in luck and results. Get a grip, man.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:24 pm

I think we should have a dedicated kneejerk forum.
It would be really busy, but this one would die a slow death.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:25 pm

personally, i don't think aguero works in a pep system.
there, i've said it...
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Dubciteh » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:00 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Getting rid of hart was a "ridiculous" move?

How are you so sure about that?

Because Hart is a world class goalkeeper who grew with the club to where we are now.

Really? Expected more from you. Harts not even top 5 in the league and cant/wont play the way the system we want to play needs him to. I would say it was one of his best decisions and a really easy one for him.

I find it odd u dissappear for so long and then re appear at the first sign of a blip, which as has been pointed out isnt a blip. We were excellent yeaterday for large parts, in fact that first 45 mins was some of the beat football we have played in a long time, all that was missing was a goal.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby phips » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:07 pm

sliiiiightly concerned that there doesnt seem to be a Plan B. its absurdly early in the season and it is his first season in the league so there's not much to worry about. im curious to see how to plans to combat teams pressing, which is what Liverpool will do for sure, and how to plans to deal with situations like yesterday: virtually all of the possession but no real threat (yes there were 2 missed pens but im talking about aside from those).
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:12 pm

phips wrote:sliiiiightly concerned that there doesnt seem to be a Plan B. its absurdly early in the season and it is his first season in the league so there's not much to worry about. im curious to see how to plans to combat teams pressing, which is what Liverpool will do for sure, and how to plans to deal with situations like yesterday: virtually all of the possession but no real threat (yes there were 2 missed pens but im talking about aside from those).

Plan B was 3 at the back and we bossed the whole game , camped in their half for most it..we played fantastic football imo and if it wasn't for missed penalties and a wonder save it would have been 4 -1.

Fact.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby mr_nool » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:22 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
phips wrote:sliiiiightly concerned that there doesnt seem to be a Plan B. its absurdly early in the season and it is his first season in the league so there's not much to worry about. im curious to see how to plans to combat teams pressing, which is what Liverpool will do for sure, and how to plans to deal with situations like yesterday: virtually all of the possession but no real threat (yes there were 2 missed pens but im talking about aside from those).

Plan B was 3 at the back and we bossed the whole game , camped in their half for most it..we played fantastic football imo and if it wasn't for missed penalties and a wonder save it would have been 4 -1.

Fact.

I agree with this. I think we will struggle at times this season and I'm not holding us as favourties for the title - it's too early into Pep's reign and the squad isn't fit for his demands - but so far this season we have shown a plan A, B C, D, E and fucking F. I wasn't sold on Pep before he came, but his tactical skills have amazed me.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby nottsblue » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:23 pm

Mikhail Chigorin wrote:
nottsblue wrote:A few more tweaks and we will get better still. Unlucky yesterday in facing a goalie on his game. Coupled with the missed penalties and on another day we win. The possesion, territorial advantage, chances created, chances limited for the opposition and general play were all heavily in our favour and an indication of where we aspire to be.

Play like that each time and we win the league. No concerns from me whatsover at this stage

And yet, NB old chum, whenever match day comes around, it's always you and I who are worried about the opposition and we always seem to agree that we'd settle for a scrappy 1-0 victory, just to get the three points.

It's amazing what being 'City daft' does to us :? :? :? :? :?

I know. I was just generalising with the start to be fair. 13 games, 10 wins, 2 draws and just 1 defeat. I'd have taken that before the start of the campaign like a shot. I also would have thought it would have taken longer for us to adapt to a new style yet we seem to have really hit the ground running with almost every pundit and commentator praising our play to the nines.

Just wishing for three points each match day is sadly ingrained in my DNA from the many years of struggle and toil.
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Dameerto » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:37 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Getting rid of hart was a "ridiculous" move?

How are you so sure about that?

Because Hart is a world class goalkeeper who grew with the club to where we are now.

He has world class reactions but flawed judgement. Pep seems to value decision making more in his system of play so I will respect his choice.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:25 pm

I'm still scratching my head at Vinny becoming a striker. That was Pearce'esque from Pep.

And Nolito, why wasn't he on the pitch from the start. The guys been sat out for a few matches and I thought he'd be on, not subbed on.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mr_nool » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:32 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:I'm still scratching my head at Vinny becoming a striker. That was Pearce'esque from Pep.

And Nolito, why wasn't he on the pitch from the start. The guys been sat out for a few matches and I thought he'd be on, not subbed on.

It made sense throwing on one of our best headers of the ball (he better be with that forehead) with only a few minutes left.

Too bad we forgot to supply him with crosses.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:35 pm

Love him!
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:36 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Fact.

2 wonder saves.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Original Dub » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:38 pm

Ronald Koeman, who heaped praise on the Blues after Guardiola's surprise gameplan left the Toffees scrambling to keep up.

“City played fantastic football, good movement, really high tempo and high pressing," said Koeman after full time. "They are the best team in my managerial career that I’ve played against."

Please stop all this silly talk about a dip in form.
That only applied to the celtic and spurs games.
Original Dub

Postby BookJunior » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:57 pm

He has a plan B and maybe even C but it's very subtle.

Their goalkeeper played a blinder yesterday especially with a fingertip save.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:06 pm

mr_nool wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Fact.

I agree with this. I think we will struggle at times this season and I'm not holding us as favourties for the title - it's too early into Pep's reign and the squad isn't fit for his demands - but so far this season we have shown a plan A, B C, D, E and fucking F. I wasn't sold on Pep before he came, but his tactical skills have amazed me.

I agree with Nooly as per usual although Pep was always my preferred choice for the job eversince Mancini was gonner. I think he has shown he is tactical mastermind but it's a complicated system and might take year or so for players to fully underatand the system.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum