Knee jerk thread, last season deja vu?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Knee jerk thread, last season deja vu?

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:05 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:It was only over-confidence that could trip us up at Spurs and there's no chance of that happening now. I feel extremely confident about this game.

This is the PL you know mate. I'm not sure how anybody could be 'extremely' confident going up against the only other team not have lost a game thus season, on their own patch, with the officials we have?

Whichever way I think of it, there's so many outcomes that it's impossible to have any certainty in this game. Even my gut feeling keeps fluctuating between a win and being shafted.

I forgot about the ref. As you were.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby mr_nool » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Bump.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:56 pm

mr_nool wrote:Bump.

Big difference in fight from last season IMO.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:57 pm

Well at least today was just like watching Pellegrini's team.

We haven't seen the same kind of intensity in our pressing for a few games now, is all that hard work early on taking its toll already?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Moonchesteri » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:58 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

What has been so different from last season mate?

Edit: I give you John Stones. He has looked like he gives a shit but otherwise I can't name one player/moment where I have seen fight today?
Last edited by Moonchesteri on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby ross.mcfc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:01 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:

Admittedly last year the bar was set pretty low but we've been out fought in the past two games.
ross.mcfc
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:07 pm

Had we not have insisting on trying to play the ball from the back when clearly being pressed so hard it was impossible I think we'd have smashed celtic and given spurs a good fight.

Stubbornness is making us look very very clumsy.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:09 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

What has been so different from last season mate?

Well, just comparing this game with the one at WHL last season Spurs were brilliant today. Last year we lost because the linesman fucked us up and then we didn't look like we were coming back into the game at all. Today, we met a team playing out of their skin. And yet we didn't get crushed. Last season we met Liverpool playing so and so and they crushed us.

Comparing this game with almost every game last season, we gave up as soon as the oppo scored it seemed. Today we got stuck in during the second half and had several good chances on goal squandered by Nacho and Agüero.

ross.mcfc wrote:Admittedly last year the bar was set pretty low but we've been out fought in the past two games.

Exactly, we're comparing to last year and Spuds played very well today. Had we met them last season like this they would've trashed us.
Last edited by Cocacolajojo on Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Cocacolajojo » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:10 pm

london blue 2 wrote:Had we not have insisting on trying to play the ball from the back when clearly being pressed so hard it was impossible I think we'd have smashed celtic and given spurs a good fight.

Players are not taking up positions for receiving a pass as much as they did during the first few games. Need to return to the basics of Pep's system.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:21 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:Had we not have insisting on trying to play the ball from the back when clearly being pressed so hard it was impossible I think we'd have smashed celtic and given spurs a good fight.

Players are not taking up positions for receiving a pass as much as they did during the first few games
. Need to return to the basics of Pep's system.

They are resting. Tired and shagged out after a long squawk.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:29 pm

We're shite.
Is that knee jerk enough.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:35 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:

Players are not taking up positions for receiving a pass as much as they did during the first few games
. Need to return to the basics of Pep's system.

They are resting. Tired and shagged out after a long squawk.

That's my take as well, alluded to by Fernandinho midweek. I do wonder why Pep persevered with a few players today and the only reason I can see is that he was testing their physical and mental resolve. Pep may not care too much for the today, instead looking at those that can make it through tomorrow.

As for the keeper continuing to play when it's obvious it just needs hoofing, really does annoy me. All's it takes us a couple of hoofs to stop the player closing you down then go back to playing it short.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:41 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
As for the keeper continuing to play when it's obvious it just needs hoofing, really does annoy me. All's it takes us a couple of hoofs to stop the player closing you down then go back to playing it short.

This was literally making me mad. Everytime they press with success it gave them the necessary boost to carry on doing it. A few well timed punts and they'd have backed off. We were very much the architects of our own downfall today.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:19 am

london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

This was literally making me mad. Everytime they press with success it gave them the necessary boost to carry on doing it. A few well timed punts and they'd have backed off. We were very much the architects of our own downfall today.

So we just abandon the philosophy if we come under a bit of pressure, how do we ever improve if that's the case? Besides we've seen for years now that hoofing it is just giving possession back to the opposition to come again given our forward players inability to compete aerially.

Anyhoo, I just came on to this thread to point out the difference in our mentality between this fixture last season and this. When we fell behind in this one last season our heads completely went and we were lucky to escape with just a three goal deficit. This time around we showed a lot more character and could've got something out of this if things had bounced our way in the second half.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:23 am

london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Probably need to put a helmet on, but I didn't see Bravo as the problem yesterday.
With no movement in front of them, the CB's and mainly the FB's kept on sending it back to him when he was under pressure because they couldn't find a pass forward. If anything, he looked more comfortable on the ball, than most of our backs.

The problem was the movement and workrate in front of him. Things should have been made a lot easier than they were.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:31 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

Probably need to put a helmet on, but I didn't see Bravo as the problem yesterday.
With no movement in front of them, the CB's and mainly the FB's kept on sending it back to him when he was under pressure because they couldn't find a pass forward. If anything, he looked more comfortable on the ball, than most of our backs.

The problem was the movement and workrate in front of him. Things should have been made a lot easier than they were.

That's how I saw it too. Bravo was good yesterday
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby sheblue » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
iwasthere2012 wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

That's how I saw it too. Bravo was good yesterday

Fernando was a big part of the problem yesterday, he didnt want the ball from Bravo and gave Bravo no outlet. Fernando is best suited to being brought on to camp his arse in front of the centre backs, behind the midfielders defending a lead, not in any form of a creative position.
Gundogan looked decent yesterday second half, it seems he is slowly getting there and were going to need him with very little cover in there and Pep excluding Yaya adds to the problem. I hope fern1 stays fit and Gundo comes to the party, because their deputies are shit.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:13 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

The one that sticks in my head is the time bravo coolly held the ball waiting and then slowly played it to the left flank where kolarov should have been and he realized this as it trickled out. Good teams can play out, lazy outfield players make it hard, not a gk doing his job.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby freshie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:19 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

The one that sticks in my head is the time bravo coolly held the ball waiting and then slowly played it to the left flank where kolarov should have been and he realized this as it trickled out. Good teams can play out, lazy outfield players make it hard, not a gk doing his job.

Kolarov went hiding a lot yesterday when he should have made himself available for the pass from Bravo. Pussy
freshie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:29 pm

Kolarov under the cosh. What's new?

He was not alone in his abjectness yesterday - in fact Bravo is the only one who emerges from that encounter with any credit and that includes Pep.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: Merlin

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum