Knee jerk thread, last season deja vu?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Knee jerk thread, last season deja vu?

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:15 pm

Hazy2 wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:Originally posted in the match thread, but perhaps better here...........as I think there is a deja vu from last season in several senses.

We weren't on the same level as Spurs from the get go, completely outfought and outthought in midfield.

I stopped reading here.

We did make roughly the same number of chances as they did. The difference was they took theirs and we didn't.

I am not having this shite the media peddle about how we were battered. We weren't battered and the facts say it was only 2-0 to them, not seven or eight as the hyperbole here and in numerous other places would suggest, and we had just one shot less than they did. Don't kid yourselves; even though we didn't play well by our standards, we made chances and could have drawn or even won that match if we had taken them.

I am not apologising for knee-jerking against the knee-jerkers.

Spot on for me. We were just not that bad and Spurs were not that much better. Yes the result was right and we weren't at our best but to start calling the manager and team is just laughable.

A week ago we were 100% certainties for the league according to many and now we are supposed to be in decline and "found out" The fickleness of some fans is staggering.

Spurs away 1 fella in his mid fifties spent the whole game screaming launch it yer cunts, FFS, Half time he was explaining to his mate, Guardiola is fooking clueless, we need big cunts who can boot it and head it as far as possible, we fell about laughing at him, He left on 80 mins Sums up a lot of City fans....
I think you'll find they use different vowels in their expletives at The Lane. When I first attended that ground as a young philosophy student to watch Gilzean & Greaves I thought they were shouting tributes to the author of the Critique of Pure Reason, which I was reading at the time.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:16 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:Originally posted in the match thread, but perhaps better here...........as I think there is a deja vu from last season in several senses.

We weren't on the same level as Spurs from the get go, completely outfought and outthought in midfield.

I stopped reading here.

We did make roughly the same number of chances as they did. The difference was they took theirs and we didn't.

I am not having this shite the media peddle about how we were battered. We weren't battered and the facts say it was only 2-0 to them, not seven or eight as the hyperbole here and in numerous other places would suggest, and we had just one shot less than they did. Don't kid yourselves; even though we didn't play well by our standards, we made chances and could have drawn or even won that match if we had taken them.

Spot on for me. We were just not that bad and Spurs were not that much better. Yes the result was right and we weren't at our best but to start calling the manager and team is just laughable.

A week ago we were 100% certainties for the league according to many and now we are supposed to be in decline and "found out" The fickleness of some fans is staggering.

Spurs away 1 fella in his mid fifties spent the whole game screaming launch it yer cunts, FFS, Half time he was explaining to his mate, Guardiola is fooking clueless, we need big cunts who can boot it and head it as far as possible, we fell about laughing at him, He left on 80 mins Sums up a lot of City fans....

I think you'll find they use different vowels in their expletives at The Lane. When I first attended that ground as a young philosophy student to watch Gilzean & Greaves, I thought they were shouting tributes to the author of the Critique of Pure Reason, which I was reading at the time.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Justified logic » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:09 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

I stopped reading here.

I think you'll find they use different vowels in their expletives at The Lane. When I first attended that ground as a young philosophy student to watch Gilzean & Greaves I thought they were shouting tributes to the author of the Critique of Pure Reason, which I was reading at the time.

You kant be serious.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:44 pm

Justified logic wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:

You kant be serious.

He is being serious.....and don't call him names.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:10 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Hazy2 wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

I stopped reading here.

Chortle.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:45 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:

I stopped reading here.

By all accounts we taught United a footballing lesson, yet the score line didn't reflect that.

With respect, whether you agree with my opinion or not about getting outplayed, the points in the remainder in the post in question are about our squad not having the depth of quality to play a certain way all season, are absolutely spot on, there is no hiding from that.

That we didn't take our chances is irrelevant, even had we won 3-2 any objective person would say that we still would have played poorly (by the standards we have set) and turned the ball over in midfield and shit ourselves in defence, signs that were there against Swansea twice although with an inferior team to Spurs they couldn't punish us, though Celtic came close. This is the exact same pattern of steuggling but not losing 3 or 4 games before the incedible decline last season, and also after Mancini's great start which got similarly figured out after we schooled the rags and lasted 4 months before tevez came back and brought something different to the table.

I don't think anyone is calling out an impending disastrous run of results like in those seasons, just the facts as they see them that we have some big weaknesses in the squad which are increasingly getting exposed in recent weeks. If indeed he is testing the squad to destruction as some have said by refusing to adapt our approach where our team can't cope with what is being asked of it, fine. But what if maybe.......just maybe, he has never had a squad as deficient as this in terms of quality in depth and he can't manage any other way. Is it acceptable to spend the rest of the season hailing him a genius but being overrun whenever all our best players aren't available, or does the time come when he starts getting called out on a need to play with the hand he has?

I don't know whether that suggestion above will play out, but I think it's worthy of discussion, as its exactly what we have seen play out under both Pellegrini and particularly Mancini where we start blaming the players rather than the manager for a stubborn refusal to adapt tactics and/or selections.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby BookJunior » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:28 am

There are marked similarities to this time last season on the field, but we've had a change of management structure and quite a few players have come and gone.

For me, the next 2 or 3 games are really big now and will tell whether its a serious problem or just a temporary blip.

Regardless of anything, Pep is the latest in a line of managers in the job since Sheikh Mansour took over and we can't return to the bad old days.
BookJunior
Darius Vassell's Composure

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby gillie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:42 am

Pep got the team selection completely wrong imo. He should have gone with Sagna and Clichy at FB Gundogan in midfield instead of Fernando and Sane instead of Navas. Then later in the game he could have brought Fern2 and Navas on if we needed to protect a lead. Yes we were poor in the first half but imo it was because the team selection was all wrong but also the players need to stop shitting themselves when a team attacks us because we are not entitled to 3 points we have to earn them.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:16 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:

I stopped reading here.

Well said Doug.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby london blue 2 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:22 pm

Knee jerk comments in a knee jerk thread, who'd have thought it.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:24 pm

It's the same but different.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:45 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:

I stopped reading here.

By all accounts we taught United a footballing lesson, yet the score line didn't reflect that.

With respect, whether you agree with my opinion or not about getting outplayed, the points in the remainder in the post in question are about our squad not having the depth of quality to play a certain way all season, are absolutely spot on, there is no hiding from that.

That we didn't take our chances is irrelevant, even had we won 3-2 any objective person would say that we still would have played poorly (by the standards we have set) and turned the ball over in midfield and shit ourselves in defence, signs that were there against Swansea twice although with an inferior team to Spurs they couldn't punish us, though Celtic came close. This is the exact same pattern of steuggling but not losing 3 or 4 games before the incedible decline last season, and also after Mancini's great start which got similarly figured out after we schooled the rags and lasted 4 months before tevez came back and brought something different to the table.

I don't think anyone is calling out an impending disastrous run of results like in those seasons, just the facts as they see them that we have some big weaknesses in the squad which are increasingly getting exposed in recent weeks. If indeed he is testing the squad to destruction as some have said by refusing to adapt our approach where our team can't cope with what is being asked of it, fine. But what if maybe.......just maybe, he has never had a squad as deficient as this in terms of quality in depth and he can't manage any other way. Is it acceptable to spend the rest of the season hailing him a genius but being overrun whenever all our best players aren't available, or does the time come when he starts getting called out on a need to play with the hand he has?

I don't know whether that suggestion above will play out, but I think it's worthy of discussion, as its exactly what we have seen play out under both Pellegrini and particularly Mancini where we start blaming the players rather than the manager for a stubborn refusal to adapt tactics and/or selections.

Wow, you certainly know how to fill a nappy.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:16 am

P.S. big shout out to Doug...

I've heard your Twitter posts (the latest on the reaction to our performance against Spurs) be quoted now twice in the last few weeks on BBC's Blue Tuesday.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby johnny crossan » Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:01 pm

PrezIke wrote:P.S. big shout out to Doug...

I've heard your Twitter posts (the latest on the reaction to our performance against Spurs) be quoted now twice in the last few weeks on BBC's Blue Tuesday.

Salvador Dali would have been proud of that pic Doug
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:47 am

Having read the Aguero injured reports this morning I have to concede the sense of deja vu is beginning to grow.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby aaron bond » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:57 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Having read the Aguero injured reports this morning I have to concede the sense of deja vu is beginning to grow.

Sterling, now Aguero...I hate these international breaks!

Hopefully not as bad as we first fear.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:58 pm

aaron bond wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:Having read the Aguero injured reports this morning I have to concede the sense of deja vu is beginning to grow.

Groin gone, no chance for Barca if he plays tomorrow.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:11 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
aaron bond wrote:

Stuart Brennan just tweeted an article from Aguero who states he is going to risk injury and play tomorrow against Paraguay. FFS
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby johnny crossan » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:08 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
aaron bond wrote:

Stuart Brennan just tweeted an article from Aguero who states he is going to risk injury and play tomorrow against Paraguay. FFS

mercenary :x
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:12 pm

johnny crossan wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
johnny crossan wrote:
aaron bond wrote:

mercenary :x

If he gets injured after saying that I'd be expecting a new striker in the summer.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum