FA Rag Bias

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

FA Rag Bias

Postby johnny crossan » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:17 pm

Why Ibrahimovic escaped ban, but not Aguero: The FA explain
11:39, 20 SEP 2016 UPDATED 12:52, 20 SEP 2016
BY STUART BRENNAN
Manchester City fans have been perplexed as to why Man United star escaped punishment for an elbow in the derby, so we asked the football authorities

Sergio Aguero missed the Manchester derby , and was banned for two more games, because his elbow on West Ham player Winston Reid was deemed “brutal” .

In that same derby, Zlatan Ibrahimovic charged, elbow-first, into Nicolas Otamendi, catching him on the head, causing a cut which required bandaging.

The same FA process of reviewing that incident found nothing untoward had occurred.

Looking at video of the two incidents, it is difficult to see a difference, but three former referees who make up the FA's review panel certainly thought there was.

So we asked the FA how they decide which incidents get reviewed, and how they then come to a decision as to whether the incident warranted retrospective action.

Aguero was, quite correctly, subject to a video review under FA rules introduced three years ago to try to stop serious offences going unpunished.

City fans believe Ibrahimovic should have been bannedCity fans believe Ibrahimovic should have been banned
Those rules have changed down the years, gradually handing more power over to retrospective reviewers.

From a time when a referee's word was law, we moved to a position where a player could be punished if video showed him committing an offence which the referee had not seen. That is, an off the ball incident.

Three years ago, the rule changed again, after a horrific challenge by Wigan's Callum McManaman on Newcastle's Massimo Haidara.

The argument was that the referee must have been looking at the incident but had not seen it well enough to realise the full significance.

Aguero is serving a three-match suspensionAguero is serving a three-match suspension
So the rule changed accordingly, and that meant ref Andre Marriner, even though he was looking directly at Aguero and Reid, said he had not noticed the elbow.

The FA can then act if an incident is “brought to our attention”. That phrase is widely seen as a euphemism for “shown repeatedly on Sky Sports News” - as Aguero's misdemeanour was – or “highlighted on Match of the Day”.

The FA insist this is not the case, and that an incident can be brought to their attention from a wide range of sources – including the match referee's report, the FA's own regulation department, host broadcasters who discussed it in-game or post-match, supporters, or members of the press.

The FA insist Sky Sports News does not set the agenda for retrospective actionThe FA insist Sky Sports News does not set the agenda for retrospective action
They indicated that Ibrahimovic's challenge on Otamendi WAS reviewed by match referee Mark Clattenburg, and the verdict was that it warranted no further action.

They say that that panel was given several different angles of the incident, rather than the one which was circulated on social media.
Having seen it from various angles, they decided that the incident warranted no further action.

The FA stressed that their policy on 'not-seen' incidents is agreed by the whole game, including the leagues, clubs, players' union PFA, League Managers Association and the refs' organisation PGMOL.

So the conclusion is that, as with any decision, it boils down to human perception – although City fans will still wonder how Zlatan's challenge was deemed fair.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... d-11910582?
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Merlin

Re: FA Rag Bias

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:24 pm

The article gets one thing wrong. City fans don't wonder how Zlatan's challenge was deemed fair.
We know exactly how it was deemed fair.
That's what drives us mad.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby City64 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:15 pm

Did Sky Sports write that on the FA,s behalf ? what a load of bullshit !!! wouldn't expect anything else bent cunts !!!
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:42 pm

Blatant corruption.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:44 pm

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:Blatant corruption.

D'ye Think?
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby bigblue » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:53 pm

What about kolarov losing a tooth? Just an accident?
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:55 pm

bigblue wrote:What about kolarov losing a tooth? Just an accident?

It's under mase's pillow.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Dameerto » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:09 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
bigblue wrote:What about kolarov losing a tooth? Just an accident?

It's under mase's pillow.

I heard Mase put it in a grow bag just in case.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Tony P » Wed Sep 21, 2016 6:14 am

Thing is, the FA are giving United all these advantages and they still can't win!
Tony P
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Tony P wrote:Thing is, the FA are giving United all these advantages and they still can't win!

Even with the officials looking after them they've struggled. From what I've read they've been given every decision.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Return to The Maine Football forum