***Manchester United v Manchester City PREVIEW***

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

***Manchester United v Manchester City PREVIEW***

Postby bobby brows » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:56 pm

Manchester United v Manchester City
Saturday 10th September
Premier League
Live on Sky Sports
Referee: Mark Clattenberg

Watch on youtube.com

Something just to get everyone in the mood

So here it is, the Manchester Derby. Weeks of hype, Pep v Mourinho, Claudio Bravo, Zlatan v Sergio, Sergio suspended, Pep v Zlatan, Clattenberg, Clattenberg, CLATTENBERG! The Pep v Mourinho rivalry surpassing previous heights of hysteria thanks to a British media bored by an international break in which Raheem Sterling player quite well.

The major talking point aside from Mourinho’s hatred of Pep, quickly extinguished by Pep, and Zlatan’s hatred of Pep, also extinguished by our esteemed manager, was Sergio Aguero’s retrospective ban for rendering Winston Reid speechless by grazing the side of his face with his elbow.

I remember the last time a Manchester City player was retrospectively banned, also just before an international break and also just before a derby game. That hot August day when City tore Arsenal a new one and Emmanuel Adebayor was adjudged to have stamped on Robin Van Persie’s face. That night regular programming was halted as Gary Lineker read out a statement from the victim accusing Adebayor of malicious intent. Save the fact that more than 46,000 supporters barely even noticed said incident, the referee was perfectly positioned and even Van Persie hadn’t made much of a fuss during the game. Of course, the FA swung their axe and in this sport, a charge is basically a conviction without the benefit of a defence.

I once appealed a red card and despite the submission of video evidence and a statement from the opponent who’d been fouled I was told that there was insufficient evidence to overturn the referee’s original decision. Ultimately for the County FA’s any disciplinary action is seen as a revenue opportunity so they’re never going to balk at the prospect of billing City (or any club) for an appeal’s hearing.

Personally, I’ve seen worse than the Aguero incident but what really gall’s me is the extensive catalogue of similar efforts by other players that don’t get the same trial, conviction and hanging by social media. I suppose it was inevitable with the derby looming. Secondly, the FA last week overturned a red card in WSL when Arsenal goalkeeper Emma Byrne chopped down Notts County’s Ellen White with a challenge so severe White broke her collar bone. It was almost as if Arsenal’s next two games were against City…

Obviously what this game needs is a strong character in the middle of the park to referee it.
Enter Mark Clattenberg!

To be fair the man described by City supporting Mirror journalist Aaron Flanagan to me on twitter this week was that ‘he’s the best in the world right now” is that he’s a man so vein he’s likely to upstage Ibrahimovic and make himself the centre of attention. The once suspended for financial issues, hair plug wearing, European Championship final tattoo wearing man in pink will be fully aware that he’ll get more publicity with a spat with Zlatan, Ibrahimovic or Rooney than he will taking on Pep. One thing is for sure; there’s a seat in the BT Studio bashing City’s Champions League exploits in his near future somewhere.

So without Sergio, what happens next? According to the Guardian’s Jamie Jackson we’re such a man team that barely three players would feature in the new United’s side (trademark 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017).

Initially I had had a feeling that the man who could have made himself an unlikely derby day hero would be Sami Nasri. Having dropped some weight, the player who was built to be a false 9 would have excelled under the man who invented the false 9 role. In my opinion I thought he was excellent in his cameo role against West Ham and it felt like a new signing but despite some late hesitance he was one of many of Pep’s deadline day cull.

One man who seemingly won’t be deployed as a secret weapon on derby day is Yaya Toure who, despite some careful public relations rehabilitation by Pep, managed to escape the final day cull of loan departures. Following Yaya’s omission from the Champions League squad, his agent Dimitri Seluk latest outburst suggested that he’ll be seeing the remainder of his contract out from the stands. For me, all the latest incident of TalkSport level faux outrage did was make me ask the question; “what’ve you been doing all summer?” You’d think with all the C list footballers heading to China on larger piles of cash than Yaya that Seluk would have been at the front of the queue. It’s a real shame for Yaya, as a bona fide City legend you think the club would have granted him a free transfer to help him secure one last final payday.

Oh the derby? Yes, well Pep has overcome every challenge put before him so far, the David Moyes spoilers, the tricky Champions League trip, Stoke away and a potential home upset. A trip to the swamp will be the hardest test yet but for the first time Pep will also have the test of getting his team selection just right. It’s likely that Claudio Bravo will start in goal and in defence he’s been boosted by the return to fitness of Otamendi and Sagna; Christ even Kompany is in training. We will learn if he sees Kolarov as the long term option at centre back.

In midfield were also boosted by the return of Ilker Gundogen, who for me was the most exciting signing of the summer. Whether he plays or not is a different matter as he’s had a long layoff and Fernandinho and Silva have been superb in the middle.

Up front there are suggestions that he’ll hand Leroy Sané his debut as the striker. No I don’t claim to be a Sané expert but he’s rapid and the prospect of a front four of Sané, Raheem, Nolito and De Bruyne pressing United all over Old Trafford has me buzzing.

Prediction

6-1?
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: ***Manchester United v Manchester City PREVIEW***

Postby nottsblue » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:00 pm

Great review. Whets the appetite even more
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby bobby brows » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:07 pm

gutted to say I'm missing it in favour of 1874 Northwich away. Hoping its going to be on the bar at the ground; if it is...pure bandit country.
Please visit my website covering both Manchester City & Manchester City Women http://www.stealingfiveyards.com
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby City64 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:28 pm

Nice preview bobby brows .

Something missing though ..................

fuck off you rag scum !

Sorted ! :) :)
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Spurge » Fri Sep 09, 2016 9:42 pm

I will worry for Iheanacho's future at City if he doesn't start this one. I get that Pep is building a squad in which players are capable of playing in more than one position - and I like it. Sterling, Sane, KDB and Nolito could essentially challenge Iheanacho for the most advanced city player in the starting line up tomorrow, but with Gabriel Jesus due to arrive in January then if Iheanacho doesn't feature heavily in this or Bournemouth games then you would wonder if he will ever feature prominently in Pep's long term plans.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby bobby brows » Fri Sep 09, 2016 10:39 pm

I'm not really worried about Kelechi; he's a great finisher but he's extremely raw. I'd rather he ease his way into the season but its a shame that he's missed the Olympics not to start in the Premier League
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:56 am

Very nice write up BB. I too will miss it. I will be able to.listen to the first half on the Radio. Then I will be doing the tough mudder. Not likely to finish until about 6 or 7 o'clock. I will have no idea about the score until I ask someone at the finish. I hope we are winning at half time or its going to be a looooooong day.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Mikhail Chigorin » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:06 am

Wonderwall wrote:Very nice write up BB. I too will miss it. I will be able to.listen to the first half on the Radio. Then I will be doing the tough mudder. Not likely to finish until about 6 or 7 o'clock. I will have no idea about the score until I ask someone at the finish. I hope we are winning at half time or its going to be a looooooong day.

Good luck WW......hope we all have a great day.
Mikhail Chigorin
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Bert Trautmann

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:08 am

Great read BB.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Hazy2 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:12 am

bobby brows wrote:Manchester United v Manchester City
Saturday 10th September
Premier League
Live on Sky Sports
Referee: Mark Clattenberg

Watch on youtube.com

Something just to get everyone in the mood

So here it is, the Manchester Derby. Weeks of hype, Pep v Mourinho, Claudio Bravo, Zlatan v Sergio, Sergio suspended, Pep v Zlatan, Clattenberg, Clattenberg, CLATTENBERG! The Pep v Mourinho rivalry surpassing previous heights of hysteria thanks to a British media bored by an international break in which Raheem Sterling player quite well.

The major talking point aside from Mourinho’s hatred of Pep, quickly extinguished by Pep, and Zlatan’s hatred of Pep, also extinguished by our esteemed manager, was Sergio Aguero’s retrospective ban for rendering Winston Reid speechless by grazing the side of his face with his elbow.

I remember the last time a Manchester City player was retrospectively banned, also just before an international break and also just before a derby game. That hot August day when City tore Arsenal a new one and Emmanuel Adebayor was adjudged to have stamped on Robin Van Persie’s face. That night regular programming was halted as Gary Lineker read out a statement from the victim accusing Adebayor of malicious intent. Save the fact that more than 46,000 supporters barely even noticed said incident, the referee was perfectly positioned and even Van Persie hadn’t made much of a fuss during the game. Of course, the FA swung their axe and in this sport, a charge is basically a conviction without the benefit of a defence.

I once appealed a red card and despite the submission of video evidence and a statement from the opponent who’d been fouled I was told that there was insufficient evidence to overturn the referee’s original decision. Ultimately for the County FA’s any disciplinary action is seen as a revenue opportunity so they’re never going to balk at the prospect of billing City (or any club) for an appeal’s hearing.

Personally, I’ve seen worse than the Aguero incident but what really gall’s me is the extensive catalogue of similar efforts by other players that don’t get the same trial, conviction and hanging by social media. I suppose it was inevitable with the derby looming. Secondly, the FA last week overturned a red card in WSL when Arsenal goalkeeper Emma Byrne chopped down Notts County’s Ellen White with a challenge so severe White broke her collar bone. It was almost as if Arsenal’s next two games were against City…

Obviously what this game needs is a strong character in the middle of the park to referee it.
Enter Mark Clattenberg!

To be fair the man described by City supporting Mirror journalist Aaron Flanagan to me on twitter this week was that ‘he’s the best in the world right now” is that he’s a man so vein he’s likely to upstage Ibrahimovic and make himself the centre of attention. The once suspended for financial issues, hair plug wearing, European Championship final tattoo wearing man in pink will be fully aware that he’ll get more publicity with a spat with Zlatan, Ibrahimovic or Rooney than he will taking on Pep. One thing is for sure; there’s a seat in the BT Studio bashing City’s Champions League exploits in his near future somewhere.

So without Sergio, what happens next? According to the Guardian’s Jamie Jackson we’re such a man team that barely three players would feature in the new United’s side (trademark 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017).

Initially I had had a feeling that the man who could have made himself an unlikely derby day hero would be Sami Nasri. Having dropped some weight, the player who was built to be a false 9 would have excelled under the man who invented the false 9 role. In my opinion I thought he was excellent in his cameo role against West Ham and it felt like a new signing but despite some late hesitance he was one of many of Pep’s deadline day cull.

One man who seemingly won’t be deployed as a secret weapon on derby day is Yaya Toure who, despite some careful public relations rehabilitation by Pep, managed to escape the final day cull of loan departures. Following Yaya’s omission from the Champions League squad, his agent Dimitri Seluk latest outburst suggested that he’ll be seeing the remainder of his contract out from the stands. For me, all the latest incident of TalkSport level faux outrage did was make me ask the question; “what’ve you been doing all summer?” You’d think with all the C list footballers heading to China on larger piles of cash than Yaya that Seluk would have been at the front of the queue. It’s a real shame for Yaya, as a bona fide City legend you think the club would have granted him a free transfer to help him secure one last final payday.

Oh the derby? Yes, well Pep has overcome every challenge put before him so far, the David Moyes spoilers, the tricky Champions League trip, Stoke away and a potential home upset. A trip to the swamp will be the hardest test yet but for the first time Pep will also have the test of getting his team selection just right. It’s likely that Claudio Bravo will start in goal and in defence he’s been boosted by the return to fitness of Otamendi and Sagna; Christ even Kompany is in training. We will learn if he sees Kolarov as the long term option at centre back.

In midfield were also boosted by the return of Ilker Gundogen, who for me was the most exciting signing of the summer. Whether he plays or not is a different matter as he’s had a long layoff and Fernandinho and Silva have been superb in the middle.

Up front there are suggestions that he’ll hand Leroy Sané his debut as the striker. No I don’t claim to be a Sané expert but he’s rapid and the prospect of a front four of Sané, Raheem, Nolito and De Bruyne pressing United all over Old Trafford has me buzzing.

Prediction

6-1?

You will hear the goals go in Chorltonville, 3 PUBS WILL HAVE IT ON 2 MINS FROM THE GROUND !!!
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby ruralblue » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:13 am

Brilliant read. Going to read it again on the train.

Keep it up n' come on the Blues!
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby bobby brows » Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:29 am

God luck with tough muddier WW
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:48 am

bobby brows wrote:God luck with tough muddier WW

Cheers bobby. Leaving soon
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Spurge » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:00 pm

bobby brows wrote:I'm not really worried about Kelechi; he's a great finisher but he's extremely raw. I'd rather he ease his way into the season but its a shame that he's missed the Olympics not to start in the Premier League

From BBC website.....

Kelechi Iheanacho has scored nine goals from just 13 shots on target in the Premier League

Not that raw then..
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby bobby brows » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:48 pm

Spurge wrote:
bobby brows wrote:I'm not really worried about Kelechi; he's a great finisher but he's extremely raw. I'd rather he ease his way into the season but its a shame that he's missed the Olympics not to start in the Premier League

From BBC website.....

Kelechi Iheanacho has scored nine goals from just 13 shots on target in the Premier League

Not that raw then..

Thinking more build up play than finishing. The only City player who can get away with scoring goals without contributing much else is Jane Ross!
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby bobby brows » Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:49 pm

Happy if that's me proven wrong though! The lads a star!
bobby brows
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Return to The Maine Football forum