City going forward

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

City going forward

Postby Justified logic » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:02 pm

I was thinking of posting this this morning but ran out of time - and now Cheeky has spoken and covered some of what I was going to say.

Director of Football on City's global talent drive

The 2016/17 season holds huge promise for City fans.

However, if there is anything more exciting than that imminent prospect, it’s the long-term future of the Club...

City have been active in the transfer market this summer, bringing in some of the world’s most exciting young talents to complement our Academy stars, sewing seeds in a bid for success way beyond this upcoming campaign.

Gabriel Jesus, Marlos Moreno and Aleksandar Zinchenko are three such newcomers still in their teenage years and City’s Director of Football Txiki Begiristain believes that these captures have big futures ahead of them.

Begiristain told ManCity.com: “Our global network of scouts are working continuously to identify and recruit the best young talent on the planet to develop with our methodology and coaching here in Manchester.

“Equally important to us is bringing in the best local talent from here in Manchester - we have a clear idea on how we want our young players to play and so we identify footballers who we believe can play in this style, no matter where they’re from.”

As Txiki alludes to above, City’s goes far beyond bringing in the world’s best new professionals but also identifying, cultivating and polishing home-grown talent in the club’s youth Academy.

With our Academy teams producing unparalleled success across the age-groups last season, it’s clear that the club is blessed with talent both in the areas of coaching and playing talent, imbuing Begiristain with an excitement over what’s to come in future years.

“It’s been a really exciting summer for us, bringing in the likes of Gabriel Jesus, Marlos Moreno, Leroy Sane and Aleksandar Zinchenko, who we believe are some of the world’s best young players in their positions, as well as seeing our Academy develop talents like Tosin Adarabioyo, Angelino, Pablo Maffeo, Angus Gunn step up and look at home around the first-team setup.”

Some of these players have headed out on loan in the summer transfer window as they continue to broaden their footballing horizons. Moreno is with Deportivo La Coruna in La Liga, Zinchenko with PSV Eindhoven in the Dutch Eredivisie, while Jesus will link up with City in January.

Meanwhile, some of City’s stellar young talent are already proving themselves in the City first team. It is easy to forget that Raheem Sterling – arguably the Premier League’s stand-out player early in the 2016/17 campaign - is still just 21, while 22-year-old defender John Stones has slotted into the Blues’ first-team like he was made for life on Club football’s biggest stage.

All these players are still setting out on their football journeys with City - the future certainly looks bright!

City had net transfer spending of £141.23m this summer, just below United's £150.24m but well ahead of the next biggest net spenders Chelsea (£85.26m) and Arsenal (£84.79m). But with that money we've bought a lot of young talent, and have, of course, also loaned out senior players who will be sold in the near future.

Could this be the last big transfer splurge? Could the Academy now start providing youngsters for the first team squad on a regular basis and become an income generator by selling those that don't make it, or at least able to off-set most of the costs of bringing in occasional established players to perform roles not filled by Academy talent? (This is Barca's model is it not?)

And what news on a third tier in the family stand? When is that slated for? Surely, with the talent on show that Pep already has and will continue to put together, the enlarged stadium will sell out? Can the stadium grow any more than that?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: City going forward

Postby Dameerto » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:22 pm

We know they have planning permission to take the stadium to over 60k, I THINK I remember some talk about it being possible to raise the capacity even higher in theory. There's usually an engineering solution to most problems if the cost justifies it.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby nottsblue » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:29 pm

Justified logic wrote:I was thinking of posting this this morning but ran out of time - and now Cheeky has spoken and covered some of what I was going to say.

Director of Football on City's global talent drive

The 2016/17 season holds huge promise for City fans.

However, if there is anything more exciting than that imminent prospect, it’s the long-term future of the Club...

City have been active in the transfer market this summer, bringing in some of the world’s most exciting young talents to complement our Academy stars, sewing seeds in a bid for success way beyond this upcoming campaign.

Gabriel Jesus, Marlos Moreno and Aleksandar Zinchenko are three such newcomers still in their teenage years and City’s Director of Football Txiki Begiristain believes that these captures have big futures ahead of them.

Begiristain told ManCity.com: “Our global network of scouts are working continuously to identify and recruit the best young talent on the planet to develop with our methodology and coaching here in Manchester.

“Equally important to us is bringing in the best local talent from here in Manchester - we have a clear idea on how we want our young players to play and so we identify footballers who we believe can play in this style, no matter where they’re from.”

As Txiki alludes to above, City’s goes far beyond bringing in the world’s best new professionals but also identifying, cultivating and polishing home-grown talent in the club’s youth Academy.

With our Academy teams producing unparalleled success across the age-groups last season, it’s clear that the club is blessed with talent both in the areas of coaching and playing talent, imbuing Begiristain with an excitement over what’s to come in future years.

“It’s been a really exciting summer for us, bringing in the likes of Gabriel Jesus, Marlos Moreno, Leroy Sane and Aleksandar Zinchenko, who we believe are some of the world’s best young players in their positions, as well as seeing our Academy develop talents like Tosin Adarabioyo, Angelino, Pablo Maffeo, Angus Gunn step up and look at home around the first-team setup.”

Some of these players have headed out on loan in the summer transfer window as they continue to broaden their footballing horizons. Moreno is with Deportivo La Coruna in La Liga, Zinchenko with PSV Eindhoven in the Dutch Eredivisie, while Jesus will link up with City in January.

Meanwhile, some of City’s stellar young talent are already proving themselves in the City first team. It is easy to forget that Raheem Sterling – arguably the Premier League’s stand-out player early in the 2016/17 campaign - is still just 21, while 22-year-old defender John Stones has slotted into the Blues’ first-team like he was made for life on Club football’s biggest stage.

All these players are still setting out on their football journeys with City - the future certainly looks bright!

City had net transfer spending of £141.23m this summer, just below United's £150.24m but well ahead of the next biggest net spenders Chelsea (£85.26m) and Arsenal (£84.79m). But with that money we've bought a lot of young talent, and have, of course, also loaned out senior players who will be sold in the near future.

Could this be the last big transfer splurge? Could the Academy now start providing youngsters for the first team squad on a regular basis and become an income generator by selling those that don't make it, or at least able to off-set most of the costs of bringing in occasional established players to perform roles not filled by Academy talent? (This is Barca's model is it not?)

And what news on a third tier in the family stand? When is that slated for? Surely, with the talent on show that Pep already has and will continue to put together, the enlarged stadium will sell out? Can the stadium grow any more than that?

Re Barca's occasional purchase of established stars. This is a huge myth. For a number of years now most of their first team have been purchased for huge sums
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby phips » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:01 pm

Justified logic wrote:Could this be the last big transfer splurge? Could the Academy now start providing youngsters for the first team squad on a regular basis and become an income generator by selling those that don't make it, or at least able to off-set most of the costs of bringing in occasional established players to perform roles not filled by Academy talent? (This is Barca's model is it not?)

No.

You mention Barca, look at their business this summer. i dont think any of their youngsters from their famed academy brought in much money and they still spent a lot on 4 or 5 players that, interestingly, will sit on their bench.

Big clubs will always buy "big names" and spend lots of money. now im not saying every summer is going to be 100m+ but i imagine the spending will continue, despite the supposed talent in the City academy.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Justified logic » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:24 pm

Are you saying that Barca don't have that model or that they aren't succeeding with it?

Also, is a retained interest in selling on still a possibility (as per QPR's cut of Sterling's transfer fee) for Academy players?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:09 pm

and coming through we have Brahim Diaz , Jadon Sancho , Phil Foden, Ian Carlo Poveda , Paulo Fernadez, Bobby Duncan , Tom Dele-Bashiro, Joe Hardy and then you go down into the under 16's and lower. Plenty to look forward to.The future is blue and bright
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby john@staustell » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:48 pm

There's still only 11 on the field. I think its partly a buying and selling (and loaning out) business for profit
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby failsworthblue » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:05 pm

We are going to get stronger and stronger each year both on and off the pitch.

We will be bigger than the Trafford Rangers within the next five years and on a par with Real and Barca as the biggest clubs in the world.

Do not doubt the ambition of our owner.

Nothing is going to stop us.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:25 pm

failsworthblue wrote:We are going to get stronger and stronger each year both on and off the pitch.

We will be bigger than the Trafford Rangers within the next five years and on a par with Real and Barca as the biggest clubs in the world.

Commercially that's all well and good but to get as big as the rags and dippers we would need unprecedented success in Europe over the coming decade.
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby nottsblue » Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:34 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
failsworthblue wrote:We are going to get stronger and stronger each year both on and off the pitch.

Commercially that's all well and good but to get as big as the rags and dippers we would need unprecedented success in Europe over the coming decade.

Off the field, we are on course to at least match the rags in the next decade. On the field we have an awful lot of catching up to do before we can consider ourselves the most successfull. After all, we are 16 league titles behind them and 3 European cups. Be surprised if even in the next thirty years we made up the domestic shortfall. However, it's gonna be a great ride in trying
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby phips » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:20 am

Justified logic wrote:Are you saying that Barca don't have that model or that they aren't succeeding with it?

only saying that your post made it sound like Barca buy some big names but mostly replenish their squad with youth from their talented academy and even when their current academy talent isn't strong enough to break the fist team that they can be sold to balance the sums spent on buying big names (actually thats basically exactly what your post says). in actuality, over the last few windows at least this hasn't been the case. my point being: promoting from within and only spending on a few names is highly unlikely for any top club.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus