WELCOME JESUS!!!!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: WELCOME JESUS!!!!

Postby phips » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:31 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:well after wasting 4 hours of my life watching some truly awful olympic football, i am struggling to see anything remotely exceptional about this kid. dribbles into blind alleys, static and predictable, finishing as bad as navas. what am i missing??

that he scored a lot of goals in Brazil's shit league?
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby john@staustell » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:55 pm

Sideshow Bob wrote:well after wasting 4 hours of my life watching some truly awful olympic football, i am struggling to see anything remotely exceptional about this kid. dribbles into blind alleys, static and predictable, finishing as bad as navas. what am i missing??

Only took me 15 minutes mate.

:-)
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:01 pm

john@staustell wrote:

tbf i've watched both Brazil olympic matches and he's been fairly shite...in a shite team...in a shite tourney.

I'm not super-arsed, but he's not impressive in any way yet so...jury's out. I think what folks are reacting to is that the 'best prospect in South America' ought to at least give me a semi wet tip once in 180 mins. That's all.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby iwasthere2012 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:36 pm

Gringo Twatburger wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

tbf i've watched both Brazil olympic matches and he's been fairly shite...in a shite team...in a shite tourney.

I'm not super-arsed, but he's not impressive in any way yet so...jury's out. I think what folks are reacting to is that the 'best prospect in South America' ought to at least give me a semi wet tip once in 180 mins. That's all.

cheers

Fernandinho aside, who I love for his overall honest contribution, I am never overly excited about us buying any Brazilian kids.
I'm sure the kid has talent and hopefully will live up to his billing, but in all honesty what do any of us know about him or the Columbian kid for that matter.
I didn't see anything to set him apart either, but have to agree the whole Brazilian team were attrocious. Not least Neymar. It's a mentality thing with them I think. There is too much 'me' and not enough 'team' in quite a lot of them.

I see it as a gamble for the future. An expensive one in Jesus's case if he doesn't cut the mustard.
I hope we are not pinning our hope on this kid by the time he arrives in January. He could do without that kind of pressure.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby PrezIke » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:59 pm

I think you're reading way too much into the horrific way Brazil are set up right now. The entire team looks lost.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Sideshow Bob » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:34 pm

you can't blame his poor performances entirely on his teammates and/or their setup. while chances were few and far between, he could have gotten on the scoresheet several times, but he was often slow to react and/or lost possession cheaply. on one occasion, he received the ball in space and in stride near the right touch line, just inside iraq's half. i was thinking: here we go, now he's going to show what he can do. what he did was a headless chicken straight into the defence without even the courtesy of a stepover. i've seen more from aaron lennon.
Sideshow Bob
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Jonny Evans

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:43 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Gringo Twatburger wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

cheers

Fernandinho aside, who I love for his overall honest contribution, I am never overly excited about us buying any Brazilian kids.
I'm sure the kid has talent and hopefully will live up to his billing, but in all honesty what do any of us know about him or the Columbian kid for that matter.
I didn't see anything to set him apart either, but have to agree the whole Brazilian team were attrocious. Not least Neymar. It's a mentality thing with them I think. There is too much 'me' and not enough 'team' in quite a lot of them.

I see it as a gamble for the future. An expensive one in Jesus's case if he doesn't cut the mustard.
I hope we are not pinning our hope on this kid by the time he arrives in January. He could do without that kind of pressure.

i'm not concerned about the money...and honestly if he's 1/2 of Neymar at 26M that's a snip tbf.

I just want to learn about him and find out what he's good at....i have absolutely zero opinion of the kid. Only watched him twice and that's since we signed him, and in a fucking couple Olympic matches. I'm not going to get overly excited, positively or negatively, just yet. That is all.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Scatman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:49 pm

He'll be here in January and you can do the Personal Jesus thing again
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby PrezIke » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:31 am

Sideshow Bob wrote:you can't blame his poor performances entirely on his teammates and/or their setup. while chances were few and far between, he could have gotten on the scoresheet several times, but he was often slow to react and/or lost possession cheaply. on one occasion, he received the ball in space and in stride near the right touch line, just inside iraq's half. i was thinking: here we go, now he's going to show what he can do. what he did was a headless chicken straight into the defence without even the courtesy of a stepover. i've seen more from aaron lennon.

He missed the big chance in the first game, but he has been wildly successful in the Brazilian league of which I've watched him in a few games before the Olympics.

No disrespect intended mate but comparing him to Lennon is the definition of talking out of your arse. Pogba has games where he looks crap too, but he just went for £100m.

I think it's reaching to read TOO much into what is going on with a national side that has struggled of late and under heavy pressure as well as because it is vastly different than playing with confidence, training with the same coaches, players, etc. Maybe the miss in that first game has thrown off his confidence, and he is trying too hard. That sounds like what young players can be prone to doing, so a manager or veteran player should help him. Who is going to do that? Neymar? He's the captain, but he's still fairly young himself and struggling as well. Jesus complained after the first game against SA that he didn't like being left alone up front, without much support, and are trying to pass him the ball in the air. He can do that, but that's not playing a style that seems to not suit his abilities. So doesn't sound like he respects the manager so much. Think he'll do the same under Pep?

This player is the most coveted prospect since Neymar for a reason. I seriously doubt all of the scouts who get well paid to do their jobs and huge clubs that wanted him are all that clueless and now think he is the next Lennon. We heard the same comments about Sterling being the next Wright-Phillips as well, which is completely silly and more impatient sounding from our fans, or the haters that are abound of him in England, including telling lies and revisionist history that he has had a terrible 12 months, when he was doing well for periods last season, especially CL Group Phase, and the start of the season before he picked up a hamstring injury.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:47 am

PrezIke wrote:
Sideshow Bob wrote:you can't blame his poor performances entirely on his teammates and/or their setup. while chances were few and far between, he could have gotten on the scoresheet several times, but he was often slow to react and/or lost possession cheaply. on one occasion, he received the ball in space and in stride near the right touch line, just inside iraq's half. i was thinking: here we go, now he's going to show what he can do. what he did was a headless chicken straight into the defence without even the courtesy of a stepover. i've seen more from aaron lennon.

He missed the big chance in the first game, but he has been wildly successful in the Brazilian league of which I've watched him in a few games before the Olympics.

No disrespect intended mate but comparing him to Lennon is the definition of talking out of your arse. Pogba has games where he looks crap too, but he just went for £100m.

I think it's reaching to read TOO much into what is going on with a national side that has struggled of late and under heavy pressure as well as because it is vastly different than playing with confidence, training with the same coaches, players, etc. Maybe the miss in that first game has thrown off his confidence, and he is trying too hard. That sounds like what young players can be prone to doing, so a manager or veteran player should help him. Who is going to do that? Neymar? He's the captain, but he's still fairly young himself and struggling as well. Jesus complained after the first game against SA that he didn't like being left alone up front, without much support, and are trying to pass him the ball in the air. He can do that, but that's not playing a style that seems to not suit his abilities. So doesn't sound like he respects the manager so much. Think he'll do the same under Pep?

This player is the most coveted prospect since Neymar for a reason. I seriously doubt all of the scouts who get well paid to do their jobs and huge clubs that wanted him are all that clueless and now think he is the next Lennon. We heard the same comments about Sterling being the next Wright-Phillips as well, which is completely silly and more impatient sounding from our fans, or the haters that are abound of him in England, including telling lies and revisionist history that he has had a terrible 12 months, when he was doing well for periods last season, especially CL Group Phase, and the start of the season before he picked up a hamstring injury.

Hey...fucking type less words. I'm on a deadline here homeslice.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby bigblue » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:59 am

So have we decided he's shit yet?

Just a slim bony

And Brazil seem to be the New England. Collapse under overinflated expectations and get written off as worthless.

So Jesus would fit right in here
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby ruralblue » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:41 am

Scatman wrote:He'll be here in January and you can do the Personal Jesus thing again

Will he be somebody to call our own?
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:44 am

PrezIke wrote:

TBH I hope he's a lot better than Neymar.
This is where I'll probably be ridiculed by some on here, but that's what I mean by not fancying so called Brazilian wonder kids.
Neymar never impressed me and although undoubtedly talented, still doesn't.
I think he looks great in an already great attacking lineup but always strikes me as the kind of player who will score you a brace of goals when you are already 3 or 4 nil up and he can relax. Messi or Suarez will have got you the lead in the first place.
Just my perception and opinion.

This kid is being billed as being of sterner stuff and I hope so. I know nothing about him except the Olympic matches I've seen.
Like Gringo, I have an open mind for him and hope for rather than expect, the best.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:59 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
PrezIke wrote:

TBH I hope he's a lot better than Neymar.
This is where I'll probably be ridiculed by some on here, but that's what I mean by not fancying so called Brazilian wonder kids.
Neymar never impressed me and although undoubtedly talented, still doesn't.
I think he looks great in an already great attacking lineup but always strikes me as the kind of player who will score you a brace of goals when you are already 3 or 4 nil up and he can relax. Messi or Suarez will have got you the lead in the first place.
Just my perception and opinion.

This kid is being billed as being of sterner stuff and I hope so. I know nothing about him except the Olympic matches I've seen.
Like Gringo, I have an open mind for him and hope for rather than expect, the best.

Nah, Neymar is incredible. He has been carrying Barca when Messi was injured before Suarez arrived for starters and is quite underrated by people who have certain bias, be it against La Liga, Barca, Brazilian flair players or pro Messi, if you will.

Gabriel Jesus might be the best Brazilian talent since Neymar for all we know, but that doesn't really take into consideration the considerable gap between the latter and all the current kids in Brazil. If he turns into 3/4th of the player Neymar is now, we've done extremely well. Right now, he's nowhere near where Neymar was when he left Brazil fwiw. But he also didn't cost £71.5 m, including a subsequent tax fraud case.
Last edited by I Just Blue Myself on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:00 pm

He's been cack in the Olympics but so has Neymar and that entire team.

There's a player in there but certainly he's no striker, far too lightweight. Still very much looking forward to him playing for us though.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:05 pm

The Brazil NT is in a shocking state, largely down to the coaching quality being neglected for far too long, as it was enough to coast on the talent alone in the past. I wouldn't heed an Olympic tournament under these circumstances to judge a 19-year old with 0 senior caps prior and one season of professional football under his belt.
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:20 pm

http://www.espn.com/olympics/story/_/id ... mpics-zico

Neymar not up to Brazil captaincy at Olympics - Zico

Funny how I just wrote the same thing in response to the problems I see with the Brazil NT affecting the team's play.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby PrezIke » Wed Aug 10, 2016 5:21 pm

I Just Blue Myself wrote:The Brazil NT is in a shocking state, largely down to the coaching quality being neglected for far too long, as it was enough to coast on the talent alone in the past. I wouldn't heed an Olympic tournament under these circumstances to judge a 19-year old with 0 senior caps prior and one season of professional football under his belt.

Eggsactly.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Whassat » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:34 pm

Now we have two Jesus in the team. Godsmacked!
Whassat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City, AIK
My favourite player is: The magician

Postby blues2win » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:01 am

Second Brazil goal scored by Jesus in their win against Denmark. Nice finish at the far post.

https://twitter.com/brazilstats2/status/763551217041739781
blues2win
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: david silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum