stones signed - nearly £100m over 6 years!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: stones signed - nearly £100m over 6 years!

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:03 pm

Sister of fu wrote:I take into account he has a load of unrest at the start of last season and then had to play in one of the worst defences in the league. He was then shifted to full back and hung out to dry by his clueless manager. I think he will be top draw once we get him a fit VK next to him.

If we need vinny next to him, he's doomed.

On a serious note I think otter will be better this season and if stones allows pep more freedom in playing his style then I'm all for it, but do think they've done well to get that fee out of us.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Mase » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:16 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Sister of fu wrote:I take into account he has a load of unrest at the start of last season and then had to play in one of the worst defences in the league. He was then shifted to full back and hung out to dry by his clueless manager. I think he will be top draw once we get him a fit VK next to him.

On a serious note I think otter will be better this season and if stones allows pep more freedom in playing his style then I'm all for it, but do think they've done well to get that fee out of us.

Not really mate. He's worth as much as someone will pay for him. Chelsea had a £40 million bid rejected last season so we were always going to have to pay more than that.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby PeterParker » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:35 pm

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

I am not trusting Vinnie to stay fit, that is why I would keep both Mangala and Otamendi. If we sell Mangala (looks more likely) and Komps gets injured, we are in the same position as we were the previous season, but instead of Demichels we have Tosin.

Stones might be the new leader of our defence.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:01 am

Mase wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

Not really mate. He's worth as much as someone will pay for him. Chelsea had a £40 million bid rejected last season so we were always going to have to pay more than that.

and I didn't think he was worth 40 then, so in my mind they've played a blinder. I can't think of too many instances of a player being hyped up this much, falling off a cliff performance wise and going up 7m in value the next year. Madness that football has become.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:11 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Mase wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

and I didn't think he was worth 40 then, so in my mind they've played a blinder. I can't think of too many instances of a player being hyped up this much, falling off a cliff performance wise and going up 7m in value the next year. Madness that football has become.

Stick with Aussie rules maybe?

Cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Mase » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:13 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
Mase wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:

Someone on here has found stats from last season to show he didn't fall off a cliff.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Wooders » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:25 am

yep - pretty clear
85% pass rate
76% tackles completed
0% falling of a cliff
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:35 am

We all thought Boateng was shite and we'd done well to get £10M for him, Pep goes and turns him into one of the top centrehalves in the world.

I think if he likes Stones, it's for a reason.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby City64 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:58 am

RE John Stones price tag ......
Don't let the media cloud any city fans view on this . He is only around £12 million more than what the rags paid for camel gob about 14 years ago ! Agenda !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Dameerto » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:09 pm

City64 wrote:RE John Stones price tag ......
Don't let the media cloud any city fans view on this . He is only around £12 million more than what the rags paid for camel gob about 14 years ago ! Agenda !

I'd like to see Camel Gob's price in today's money when taking inflation into account (I'm far too lazy to work it out). I bet it's a lot closer than the media would want us to think.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:18 pm

Dameerto wrote:

I'd like to see Camel Gob's price in today's money when taking inflation into account (I'm far too lazy to work it out). I bet it's a lot closer than the media would want us to think.

If Camel was £30 million in 2002 that would equal £44.7million in today's money if the inflation calculator I just used is accurate.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Scatman » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:44 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

If Camel was £30 million in 2002 that would equal £44.7million in today's money if the inflation calculator I just used is accurate.

I prefer the rate of inflation that this bloke uses: the transfer price index, as we know that the rate of increase in the transfer market is much greater than CPI. United paid £82M for Ferdinand in today's (2015) money. Aguero was £65M.

https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/football-inflation-and-the-transfer-window

https://tomkinstimes.com/2015/07/the-100-most-expensive-pl-players-after-inflation/
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby patrickblue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:46 pm

Dameerto wrote:

Except that the price of players on the transfer market has gone up way over inflation.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:51 pm

Scatman wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

I prefer the rate of inflation that this bloke uses: the transfer price index, as we know that the rate of increase in the transfer market is much greater than CPI. United paid £82M for Ferdinand in today's (2015) money. Aguero was £65M.

https://sports.vice.com/en_uk/article/football-inflation-and-the-transfer-window

https://tomkinstimes.com/2015/07/the-100-most-expensive-pl-players-after-inflation/

Thanks for the links, fascinating reading.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby City64 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Scatman wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Great post thanks !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby nottsblue » Thu Aug 11, 2016 5:30 pm

Scatman wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Thanks for the links, fascinating reading.

Agreed. Really enjoyed that, very insightful. Of course no gooner would ever agree that Arsenals first title winning side was the most expensive, or Chelsea fans see that most of their side circa 2004 cost more than £40m. Forget rags realising Shrek and Camelgob actually costing £80m each.

Love to see someone bring this up on Sky/BT but I doubt it would ever happen
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Aug 13, 2016 2:55 pm

I stand by my ancient point:
we can hire the best manager(s) in the world but, still shall have way way to come anywhere near to Bayern and the likes until the Club management keep performing like midtable outfits.
To refrain it In other words, just in hope to keep Wooders and others at bay, we shall never climb the ultimate step if we keep signing third options (Laporte=failed - Bonucci=failed) on injury time, at over inflated fees.
Bayern, Barca and co, tend to have their 1st option signed before preseason starts, if not earlier just as the window opens, at right the price market.

Once said that, I warmly welcome Stones and hope he shall develope fast and furious from a prospect to a world class CB, making him a quite a bargain purchase.

[p.s. cheers FiBD for the quote and sorry for late reply: I banged down a boat, so have to deal with a broken wrist+lumbar tear]

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum