stones signed - nearly £100m over 6 years!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: stones - talks opened

Postby Swales4ever » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:50 pm

those guys have to - somehow - justify the chair they seat and, apart for delivering Pep with 3 years delay plus KdB (and would add even Sir Dinho for very good measure) they have done nothing but purchasing third options at overly inflated fees.
which, in turns, continue to make a fool of THE CHAIRMAN's business reputation.

as many advised posters have noted in both preseason match threads, what shown by Tosin, Maffeo and Angelino, and I'd add by today Denayer's performance, granted the manager's reputation at nurturing freshmen, raise huge question marks on the need to waste a factory of money on yet another prospect who is gonna add nothing of note to the potential of a top club aiming to the very top.
MCFC are CL semifinalist, among the richest of riches, already filled with some world class players and now managed by the very best: who the hell wont will to join??? still...

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Dimples » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:17 pm

Swales4ever wrote:those guys have to - somehow - justify the chair they seat and, apart for delivering Pep with 3 years delay plus KdB (and would add even Sir Dinho for very good measure) they have done nothing but purchasing third options at overly inflated fees.

as many advised posters have noted in both preseason match threads, what shown by Tosin, Maffeo and Angelino, and I'd add by today Denayer's performance, granted the manager's reputation at nurturing freshmen, raise huge question marks on the need to waste a factory of money on yet another prospect who is gonna add nothing of note to the potential of a top club aiming to the very top.
MCFC are CL semifinalist, among the richest of riches, already filled with some world class players and now managed by the very best: who the hell wont will to join??? still...

Really? Are you serious or is this just click bait?

They got Pep - most coveted manager in world football
They got Sterling. - Dippers would have done anything to keep him
They got Brown - same story as Sterling
They look like getting Stones. - Chelsea tried 3 times last year and failed
They look like getting Sane - same story as Sterling and Brown
Every one of those signings is again'st the odds but they delivered
Add to that they look like getting the Columbian and Brazilian wonder kids despite intense competition

Also what Pelles wanted is different to what Mancini wanted is different to what Pep wants.
So you end up with players that need to be moved on, that get old, that just don't fit anymore.

Finally, 2 PLs, an FA cup and 3 league cups later plus top 4 for ever and you have the nerve to say they don't deliver.

Your kind of attitude really pisses me of.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:33 am

Dimples wrote:
Swales4ever wrote:those guys have to - somehow - justify the chair they seat and, apart for delivering Pep with 3 years delay plus KdB (and would add even Sir Dinho for very good measure) they have done nothing but purchasing third options at overly inflated fees.

Add to that they look like getting the Columbian and Brazilian wonder kids despite intense competition

Also what Pelles wanted is different to what Mancini wanted is different to what Pep wants.
So you end up with players that need to be moved on, that get old, that just don't fit anymore.

Finally, 2 PLs, an FA cup and 3 league cups later plus top 4 for ever and you have the nerve to say they don't deliver.

Your attitude is, of course, outstanding.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:16 am

I know I've been criticised for keep saying Denayer isn't good enough.

But do you think he is OK for a club who should be winning the PL and the CL? Or is he just 'OK'-ish? In which case we end up with a few like that and we don't win.

Genuine question, not a criticism. Because I know there are people here who would rather use our own youth and maybe not win.

Me I just want to win and the money does not matter to me. It's not mine (not at those shirt prices!) and the Sheik and City seem to have a lot.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Dimples » Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:18 am

Tokyo Blue wrote:
Dimples wrote:

Finally, 2 PLs, an FA cup and 2 league cups later plus top 4 for ever and you have the nerve to say they don't deliver.

OK attitude is the wrong word.
It was an opinion from Swales4ever and we are both entitled to those even if they differ.

Maybe I am to old.
I have followed city since the 60s.
I have never been as excited as now.
I see the new team being built bit by bit.
The two South American kids are part of that.
So are the academy kids - and what we are seeing is only the start of the conveyor belt.
Brown and Sterling are part of that same as Stones and Sane will be if we get them.
The current players, even those who no longer deliver, contributed to success, Yaya, Nasri, etc...

The two Spanish guys are at the core of all of this.
I cannot believe how lucky we are.
But I am an old timer, past my sell buy date I suppose because I see those complaints as greedy
With more than a hint of entitlement.
That is just my opinion.
Dimples
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester city
My favourite player is: Sterling

Postby Justified logic » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:48 am

Who's Brown?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:49 am

Justified logic wrote:Who's Brown?

De Bruyne
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Justified logic » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:01 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Justified logic wrote:Who's Brown?

De Bruyne

Ah, I see. Not the gamer then.
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby bigblue » Fri Jul 29, 2016 1:20 pm

You're descending into lunacy again.

I'm loving our transfers so far this year. Get the best 19-23 year olds and sprinkle in 1 or 2 veterans who fit our system perfectly. Plus snatch up Brasil's best young talent low key under the radar. Gabriel Jesus looks out of this world for a 19 year old. On Neymar's level, no exaggeration.

So sit back and crack open a beer (or light your Italian crack pipe) and get ready to enjoy the next few years.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Brazil for fucks sake.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby bigblue » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:25 pm

Dameerto wrote:Brazil for fucks sake.

There's a lot of latinos in America and you can easily get in the habit of spelling some words the way they do.

Plus, Britain usually opts for the "S" over the "Zed" anyways, so interesting you'd be such a nitpicker
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:42 pm

bigblue wrote:

There's a lot of latinos in America and you can easily get in the habit of spelling some words the way they do.

Plus, Britain usually opts for the "S" over the "Zed" anyways, so interesting you'd be such a nitpicker

Sorry for the pedantry but Britain doesn't opt for anything, it's their language. It's your side of the pond that's doing the opting.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby PrezIke » Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:30 pm

bigblue wrote:

Sorry for the pedantry but Britain doesn't opt for anything, it's their language. It's your side of the pond that's doing the opting.

Way to keep it neo-colonial, bro.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby Swales4ever » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:50 pm

john@staustell wrote:

But do you think he is OK for a club who should be winning the PL and the CL? Or is he just 'OK'-ish? In which case we end up with a few like that and we don't win.

Genuine question, not a criticism. Because I know there are people here who would rather use our own youth and maybe not win.

Me I just want to win and the money does not matter to me. It's not mine (not at those shirt prices!) and the Sheik and City seem to have a lot.

Lemme first point out a major guideline of myself's time on here: I will never, ever, take any question or debate from You, Mate, as a criticism, nevermind an unfair one! It's not by chance that You and Damaerto have been knighted orange, in the unfortunate wake of a couple of most missing posters of this community, and I think I've already said that it's been one of the best decisions our top brasses have made.

Now, coming to the question: well... it's a very sensible and difficult one, tbh. as is the point You make on the need for top players, echoing my concerns
as per my overall, personal opinion on Denayer, I can refer Yoy to the previous exchange we've already had on the Bellerin thread.
To be completely clear and honest, I think than neither me or You can have the most constructive and assertive say on Denayer's overall qualities and I think we should beg the ultimate assessment of very person who can make it on here: our hard enduring and climate defying Carrington correspondent: the one and only DH. Doug knows football finely and has seen the most of the lad in action.

Still, the point I was making on this particular thread - which is about spending another awfull lot of money on yet another good prospect - is that, particularly on a decade where there has not been that galore of top class defenders, we too often and too early have let up on developement and nurturing of our promising defenders, just to end up watching Savic lined up in CL final. while we keep squandering outrageous money on outrageously average defenders like MdM or Otamendi or spending the triple of the combined fees of Savic and Nastasic for a prospect of barely the same quality, such as Mangala.

Now, as You probably know, since the era of the "nasty and greedy" Mancini, I've always advocated for the same market strategy You seems to reflect above: only top players made real difference on top stages and top occasions; so that, from the point Mancine lead City by shaping Kompany in to a world class CB and the acquisition of Yaya, Dave and Sergio, you only have one option to progress further to the very top: purchasing top and first options for the roles the manager wants to fix.
Such an unwavering conviction lays on the common sense opinion that, no matter how good your manager is, he's still not a wizard and what he basic does is to set the canvass of the play, enforcing it with trainings and drills, not different by what a theatrical director makes: ultimately, then, what makes the real difference is whether the Richard III is played on stage, by a shite amateur like me or You, an avarage actor like say Paul Bettany or an acting legend like say Sir Laurence Olivier.
Failing that, options b) and c) are no use for where City aim to and IT'S WAY MUCH WISER TO SAVE THE MONEY for the next occasion.

Alternatively, it seems to me a much smarter and saving bet, to push on nurturing our already resident and free of additional costs very good prospects such as Tosin, Maffeo, Angelino and Denayer, do not let up on them at the fist slopy mistake either of them is going to make on the big stage, particularly granted Pep's reputation at nurturing freshmen.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:42 pm

bigblue wrote:

No offence intended, it seems to be a pet hate of mine. Britain always spells it with a z, unless they're using it in a foreign language context.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:16 pm

Swales4ever wrote:
john@staustell wrote:

Lemme first point out a major guideline of myself's time on here: I will never, ever, take any question or debate from You, Mate, as a criticism, nevermind an unfair one! It's not by chance that You and Damaerto have been knighted orange, in the unfortunate wake of a couple of most missing posters of this community, and I think I've already said that it's been one of the best decisions our top brasses have made.

Now, coming to the question: well... it's a very sensible and difficult one, tbh. as is the point You make on the need for top players, echoing my concerns
as per my overall, personal opinion on Denayer, I can refer Yoy to the previous exchange we've already had on the Bellerin thread.
To be completely clear and honest, I think than neither me or You can have the most constructive and assertive say on Denayer's overall qualities and I think we should beg the ultimate assessment of very person who can make it on here: our hard enduring and climate defying Carrington correspondent: the one and only DH. Doug knows football finely and has seen the most of the lad in action.

Still, the point I was making on this particular thread - which is about spending another awfull lot of money on yet another good prospect - is that, particularly on a decade where there has not been that galore of top class defenders, we too often and too early have let up on developement and nurturing of our promising defenders, just to end up watching Savic lined up in CL final. while we keep squandering outrageous money on outrageously average defenders like MdM or Otamendi or spending the triple of the combined fees of Savic and Nastasic for a prospect of barely the same quality, such as Mangala.

Now, as You probably know, since the era of the "nasty and greedy" Mancini, I've always advocated for the same market strategy You seems to reflect above: only top players made real difference on top stages and top occasions; so that, from the point Mancine lead City by shaping Kompany in to a world class CB and the acquisition of Yaya, Dave and Sergio, you only have one option to progress further to the very top: purchasing top and first options for the roles the manager wants to fix.
Such an unwavering conviction lays on the common sense opinion that, no matter how good your manager is, he's still not a wizard and what he basic does is to set the canvass of the play, enforcing it with trainings and drills, not different by what a theatrical director makes: ultimately, then, what makes the real difference is whether the Richard III is played on stage, by a shite amateur like me or You, an avarage actor like say Paul Bettany or an acting legend like say Sir Laurence Olivier.
Failing that, options b) and c) are no use for where City aim to and IT'S WAY MUCH WISER TO SAVE THE MONEY for the next occasion.

Alternatively, it seems to me a much smarter and saving bet, to push on nurturing our already resident and free of additional costs very good prospects such as Tosin, Maffeo, Angelino and Denayer, do not let up on them at the fist slopy mistake either of them is going to make on the big stage, particularly granted Pep's reputation at nurturing freshmen.

Ok. Just when things we're getting dull around here. I'll give it a go John.
He's noticed yourself and Damo are off colour. But he thinks it suits you.
He thinks we should give the academy guys a go instead of wasting money, but we should ask Doug first.
Oh and I think there's a good play on somewhere if you fancy going out and Mancini bought good players, the greedy bastard.

Don't think I left anything out.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:27 pm

In an ideal world we would all love to see some "homegrown" lads make it into our first team but there is no way we can just throw them in and hope for the best. It's about having quality youngsters and having the balls to get them involved with the first team. I think we can all agree Pellegrini didn't do that very well.

The best of the crop are arguably still a little young but Denayer as one of the older ones has been badly treated. He signed a long contract last year and was royally screwed as we brought in another center back as a first choice and effectively forced Denayer out, especially as Demic was kept on!

Is Denayer good enough for a title challenging side? If Pellegrini had done his job properly we would know by now but as it is we don't. I didn't see enough of him in Turkey and there was some mixed opinion but they want him back so my guess is that he is good.He wouldnt have made the Begium squad and team if he wasn't good. Under Pep he would improve and for me I would keep him here as I believe he is good enough. And he may even turn out to be a right back who can play center half.

As for Stones I would play Everton and keep the money in the pocket. Offer what we think he is worth and don't go past it.If he doesnt come we are ok with Tosin not far behind.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby iwasthere2012 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:33 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:In an ideal world we would all love to see some "homegrown" lads make it into our first team but there is no way we can just throw them in and hope for the best. It's about having quality youngsters and having the balls to get them involved with the first team. I think we can all agree Pellegrini didn't do that very well.

The best of the crop are arguably still a little young but Denayer as one of the older ones has been badly treated. He signed a long contract last year and was royally screwed as we brought in another center back as a first choice and effectively forced Denayer out, especially as Demic was kept on!

Is Denayer good enough for a title challenging side? If Pellegrini had done his job properly we would know by now but as it is we don't. I didn't see enough of him in Turkey and there was some mixed opinion but they want him back so my guess is that he is good.He wouldnt have made the Begium squad and team if he wasn't good. Under Pep he would improve and for me I would keep him here as I believe he is good enough. And he may even turn out to be a right back who can play center half.

As for Stones I would play Everton and keep the money in the pocket. Offer what we think he is worth and don't go past it.If he doesnt come we are ok with Tosin not far behind.

Yep!
What the man said. ^^^^^^^^
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Tokyo Blue » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:04 pm

PrezIke wrote:
bigblue wrote:

Way to keep it neo-colonial, bro.

English: of or pertaining to England.

I don't see anything to debate there.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Swales4ever » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:09 pm

Dimples wrote:
Tokyo Blue wrote:
Dimples wrote:

Finally, 2 PLs, an FA cup and 2 league cups later plus top 4 for ever and you have the nerve to say they don't deliver.

OK attitude is the wrong word.
It was an opinion from Swales4ever and we are both entitled to those even if they differ.

Maybe I am to old.
I have followed city since the 60s.
I have never been as excited as now.
I see the new team being built bit by bit.
The two South American kids are part of that.
So are the academy kids - and what we are seeing is only the start of the conveyor belt.
Brown and Sterling are part of that same as Stones and Sane will be if we get them.
The current players, even those who no longer deliver, contributed to success, Yaya, Nasri, etc...

The two Spanish guys are at the core of all of this.
I cannot believe how lucky we are.
But I am an old timer, past my sell buy date I suppose because I see those complaints as greedy
With more than a hint of entitlement.
That is just my opinion.

You what, mate? early this morning, when I saw Your very emotional reprimenda, I was moved to suggest You to take a seat and have a tea break, then read again my post and think if You still see it through what seems to me a quite stereotyped kinda spectacles. I am glad and thankfull that You seem to have already had that break.

It's fair to say that our entitlement on City opinions is not equal: in fact, as a non Mancunian, lesser aged incomer, I wasnt there since the 60s, through shining and dire times, always caring and suffering for the Blues, as You were. So I wholeheartily concede that Your opinion comes first and commands more resppect.
Does it means it's, as well, worthier or more spot on, though? I'm afraid not, mate.
As you can appreciate, my oldier fellow Blue, I come in no confrontational mood, so that I wont ask what drove, someone who appears as a balanced person, to take a cool opinion on saving a "factory of money" (metaphore not used by chance, in those troubled times for mean street people) on just another prospect who would add nothing to the prospect City have already in house, for a greedy stance. And I take for granted that you are related to none of the Spafia... :-)

More seriously, I can even come across to where Your opinion come from: the mainstream idea that, ADUG's money it's mot my money, I'm just a life long suffering Blue, who works hard all week long and all I care it's to be entertained at the w.e. game and come home proud of my beloved City.
As long as City stay top and offer entertainment, I couldn't care the less even if it could take the same money by which You might turn Wales into an industrial power greater than Germany. fair enough.

Still, because my post was a short reflection on the very average standard of the Club's business management, let tell You that Your repremenda doesnt seem to reflect a particular qualification on business management, if I humbly may.
Having earned some qualification and experience on the matter I can tell You for granted two main weaknesses of Your argumentation:
a) since the manager who have restored City where they belong has been boot out of the door, mainly claiming a greedy and excessive demand for upgrading quality on new purchases, the guys You feel as being the core of Bluemoon raise, have spent almost HALF A BILLION BRITISH POUNDS, but the sporting "trajectory" of Club's honours has substantially moved backward, unless You want to portrait a league title in three years, when facing the weakest domestic opposition since probably England won the WC, a successfull remuneration of such an astonishing investment in addition to the ranks who won the title 44 yrs later the previous one. same applies, imho, to the quality of the roster, barring as I originally said, Kevin and Dinho. Too little and very much too costly to even consider the use of the words successfull delivering.
As for Raheem, while I fully endorsed the stance of all who pledge us fans to stand right behind the lad for all the vicious and outrageous sticks he receive by the dippers and rags loving media, I very much hope that his struggle was due to Pellers limits and that he will get a massive sparkle by Pep, but what he showed so far at us (and tbh also when he was more suitably utilized @ dippers) is far far away from anything more than a raw potential, hence the overly inflated fee is yet again far away from the notion of successfull delivering.
b) I presume that what drives You to opine the Spafia as core is the substantial increase of the Club's marketing revenue, to define it shortly.
Please, pay attention, that in the present post-industrial and overly fianancial economy, there are very few, if any, sectors on the raise as the global football entertaiment industry. I.e. to say that, once you have to sell a self-selling product like ADUG's MCFC, it doesnt take more than a brillant Major Universities' postgraduate on marketing management to deliver it. I promise You.

All in all, my respected mate, without getting into needless and boring analysis, no matter what business sector makes reference, business management is ALWAYS down to ol' VALUE FOR MONEY, and what we saw so far from the Guys You rate so much, is VERY LITTLE VALUE for HUGE MONEY, in addition to a pretty always delayed delivery, starting from the core target, manager Pep Guardiola, the only reason, imo, why Khaldoon had assessed to bet on a CEO, holding such a controversial reputation for his, already questioned in court, tendency to a offhand management of shareholders' money.

Since now, I apologise to You, if reading the above have drive You a headache. Unfortunately, my struggle with synthesis is in common knowledge.
On the contrary, if You want me to expand on the original matter of the thread, I beg You to refer to my above exchange with our very own John of Cornwall.

2. "ACID QUEEN"

Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum