New rule for 16/17 FA Cup....

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

New rule for 16/17 FA Cup....

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:52 am

FA Cup: Fourth substitute to be allowed in latter stages of competition

Teams in the quarters, semis and final will be allowed to use a fourth substitute in extra time
Clubs will be allowed to use a fourth substitute during extra time in the latter stages of this season's FA Cup.

The format, subject to approval from the International Football Association Board, was trialled in the Copa America this summer.

The rule will be introduced in the FA Cup from the quarter-final stage.

FA chief executive Martin Glenn said the move will add "intrigue and interest", adding that "player welfare" had also been a consideration.

"It is important The FA continues to look at how it can further add to the drama and spectacle of a competition loved by millions," he added.

The FA's decision to scrap replays from the quarter-final stage was another factor in the decision.

"With the cup now adopting a straight knockout format from the quarter-finals onwards, the introduction of a fourth substitute in extra time will bring extra intrigue and interest," Glenn said.

"Also, from a technical point of view, it will be interesting to see how managers use the chance to make an additional substitution in such high-profile games and the impact it has on the final result."

This season's competition gets under way on Friday, 5 August when 184 preliminary matches take place.

From the BBC sport page,

Great idea that from quarters onward it's straight knock out, no replays and the fourth sub could help avoid shitty penalties settling it!
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Re: New rule for 16/17 FA Cup....

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:54 am

I agree this is a good move for cup and tournament football. It was touted on here a couple of years ago by someone.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby mr_nool » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:56 am

I think the replays was a big part of the charm of the FA Cup and often an important source of revenue for the smaller clubs who managed to the odd upset.
I will miss it.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I agree this is a good move for cup and tournament football. It was touted on here a couple of years ago by someone.

I've always thought it was a good idea, not just from the perspective of revitalizing games in extra time, but also from a health perspective for players. I saw a few days ago that it's being introduced for the Club World Cup, too, and is already in a few underage tournaments.

One thing that still isn't clear from media reports, though - If a team has used all three substitutes during normal time, and a fourth player goes off injured in, say, the 87th minute, so a team is down to 10 men for the final few minutes of normal + injury time, will a team be allowed to bring on an 11th player in extra time, or will they have to replace one of those still on the pitch?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:14 pm

mr_nool wrote:I think the replays was a big part of the charm of the FA Cup and often an important source of revenue for the smaller clubs who managed to the odd upset.
I will miss it.

They're only going from the QFs onward. No non-league team has ever gotten this far (with 7 reaching the fifth round since WW2), and gate receipts for replays will have a lesser impact on the finances of League One and Two clubs. Overall, it's a decent move-with-the-times (unless it's preempting shifting all QFs to Wembley to pump more money into it).
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Wooders » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:00 pm

Nevermind
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby CTID Hants » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:35 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:One thing that still isn't clear from media reports, though - If a team has used all three substitutes during normal time, and a fourth player goes off injured in, say, the 87th minute, so a team is down to 10 men for the final few minutes of normal + injury time, will a team be allowed to bring on an 11th player in extra time, or will they have to replace one of those still on the pitch?

I'd say the former rather than latter, injury is misfortune.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:41 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:One thing that still isn't clear from media reports, though - If a team has used all three substitutes during normal time, and a fourth player goes off injured in, say, the 87th minute, so a team is down to 10 men for the final few minutes of normal + injury time, will a team be allowed to bring on an 11th player in extra time, or will they have to replace one of those still on the pitch?

I'd say the former rather than latter, injury is misfortune.

If common sense prevails, then I agree. However, it often doesn't in the world of football rules. I reckon we'll only find out once some on-pitch kerfuffle due to confusion over the rules occurs.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 pm

?
It's not like he got a red card, he is just "being treated in the sidelines" until the final whistle. Then once extra time begins the team uses their 4th substitution?

Or am I missing something here?
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:57 pm

Moonchesteri wrote:

?
It's not like he got a red card, he is just "being treated in the sidelines" until the final whistle. Then once extra time begins the team uses their 4th substitution?

I think BlueinBosnia was meaning the team would have to play out the 90 a man down before being allowed to rectify the imbalance in extra time. Thus giving advantage to the opposition.

But that is what happens at present
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:05 pm

nottsblue wrote:
Moonchesteri wrote:

?

I think BlueinBosnia was meaning the team would have to play out the 90 a man down before being allowed to rectify the imbalance in extra time. Thus giving advantage to the opposition.

But that is what happens at present

No, I literally meant what Moonchesteri said, and he's right, actually, a team technically doesn't 'finish with 10 men' when 3 subs have been used and another player goes off injured, instead they've got all 11, but one is (permanently) on the sideline.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Return to The Maine Football forum