Olympic stadium- West ham

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Olympic stadium- West ham

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:49 pm

Just looked at their pics online. Not sure it will be a good football venue. Hope to be proved wrong. I also don't like the ship claret and white design with a tiny West Ham written into the seats as some type of after thought.

Hope we get a good allocation so I can see what the hype is about.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: Olympic stadium- West ham

Postby CTID Hants » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:13 pm

Wonderwall wrote:Just looked at their pics online. Not sure it will be a good football venue. Hope to be proved wrong. I also don't like the ship claret and white design with a tiny West Ham written into the seats as some type of after thought.

One if the directors at work is ST so I will let you know his thoughts once he's been.

Also, aren't the spuds migrating to Wembley? Deffo for their UCL games anyway. Again girl in office is ST, so I will ask her what she thinks

But I'd say hammers will struggle in the gulf size wise from Upton Park, more so than when we moved.
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:16 pm

CTID Hants wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Just looked at their pics online. Not sure it will be a good football venue. Hope to be proved wrong. I also don't like the ship claret and white design with a tiny West Ham written into the seats as some type of after thought.

One if the directors at work is ST so I will let you know his thoughts once he's been.

Also, aren't the spuds migrating to Wembley? Deffo for their UCL games anyway. Again girl in office is ST, so I will ask her what she thinks

But I'd say hammers will struggle in the gulf size wise from Upton Park, more so than when we moved.

They have sold 50k season tickets I think. That's some going. However I remember when we first moved it was panic to get a ticket. Let's see where they are in 10 years
Wonderwall

Postby Mase » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:25 am

Wonderwall wrote:
CTID Hants wrote:

They have sold 50k season tickets I think. That's some going. However I remember when we first moved it was panic to get a ticket. Let's see where they are in 10 years

They've sold that many because they had some ridiculous deal on. I spoke to a guy that supports Arsenal but was considering getting a season ticket for West Ham as they had an offer of something like if you bought for two seasons in a row it was around £200 per season.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:29 am

When you look at the general swell in football support in the last 20 years, the London clubs have been cramped in the same old grounds until Arsenal left Highbury.. Arsenal could probably sell out 80,000, Spuds will easily fill 60,000 and i wouldn't be too surprised if West Ham fill the OS quite easily.

Simple factor of London population and support growth. We only really filled Maine Road regularly right at the end - whatever people say. Now people moan if only 53,000 turn up.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Slim » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:48 am

I would have thought they'd drop the pitch more and bring the stands in, looks very flat and well away from the pitch.

Have to see when they fill it, but I get the feeling they'll lose the atmosphere they had at the Boleyn.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:49 am

Slim wrote:I would have thought they'd drop the pitch more and bring the stands in, looks very flat and well away from the pitch.

Have to see when they fill it, but I get the feeling they'll lose the atmosphere they had at the Boleyn.

I have been to Upton Park twice. Atmosphere wasn't great on both occasions. It's a myth
Wonderwall

Postby Slim » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:54 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Slim wrote:I would have thought they'd drop the pitch more and bring the stands in, looks very flat and well away from the pitch.

I have been to Upton Park twice. Atmosphere wasn't great on both occasions. It's a myth

Obviously I haven't, but they always sound great over the telly. Strategically placed microphones?
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Scatman » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:31 am

Slim wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Obviously I haven't, but they always sound great over the telly. Strategically placed microphones?

Maybe they had fans chanting over the tannoy like we did that time
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby lets all have a disco » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:57 am

The sets do go further forward as shown here.

But still that aint a footy ground.

He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:02 am

Looks horrible. Massive gap between tiers which I don't like
nottsblue

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:06 am

nottsblue wrote:Looks horrible. Massive gap between tiers which I don't like

you get what you pay for....
oh, wait a minute.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:29 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
nottsblue wrote:Looks horrible. Massive gap between tiers which I don't like

you get what you pay for....
oh, wait a minute.

Dodgy ground mate, dodgy ground!

Personally I don't begrudge them (or us obviously) a cheap ground. Seems to me the alternative is a ruddy great empty ground with 1000 athletics fans in twice a summer. At least the 'economy of the area' will now get benefit in some considerable way. So will the PL to some extent.

To suggest that Hammers should pay a lot of money for it takes us back to Hammers paying for a stadium to stage the Olympics. And why the fuck should they do that?

Isn't one big advantage that Upton Park was the worst ground to get to (possibly except Palace) whereas Stratford allegedly has all the transport links?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:28 pm

lets all have a disco wrote:The sets do go further forward as shown here.

Part of the conversion deal was that it still had to be dual use - so there's still a running track under the lower seats ready for athletics competitions.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Dameerto wrote:

Part of the conversion deal was that it still had to be dual use - so there's still a running track under the lower seats ready for athletics competitions.

Ridiculous IMHO. But I do understand the wiles of obtaining funding for anything. Remember the outcry when the heretical word football was mentioned. Now all those self-righteous buffoons have all fucked off - they certainly wont be sitting watching athletics.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Dameerto » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:42 pm

john@staustell wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

Ridiculous IMHO. But I do understand the wiles of obtaining funding for anything. Remember the outcry when the heretical word football was mentioned. Now all those self-righteous buffoons have all fucked off - they certainly wont be sitting watching athletics.

From their point of view they got a cheap stadium with relatively low running costs, but probably at the expense of atmosphere.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

They will go down the road of Emirates, Etihad and the Old Toilet. People who bought a seat not turning up for lesser games.
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:23 am

This picture is of the 'inside'
Where the fuck is the rest of it.

He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Justified logic » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:05 am

john@staustell wrote:Isn't one big advantage that Upton Park was the worst ground to get to (possibly except Palace) whereas Stratford allegedly has all the transport links?

I disagree! Actually Selhurst Park is the easiest ground to get to as it is on my train line into London. Great atmosphere in the away crowd as well as you can stand virtually wherever you want. Saw Iheanacho's first PL goal there last season. We went wild! If anyone has a couple of tickets for the game in November I'll gladly buy them - you do do ticket sales at face value here like on Bluemoon, yes?
Justified logic
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby john@staustell » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:00 am

Justified logic wrote:
john@staustell wrote:Isn't one big advantage that Upton Park was the worst ground to get to (possibly except Palace) whereas Stratford allegedly has all the transport links?

I disagree! Actually Selhurst Park is the easiest ground to get to as it is on my train line into London. Great atmosphere in the away crowd as well as you can stand virtually wherever you want. Saw Iheanacho's first PL goal there last season. We went wild! If anyone has a couple of tickets for the game in November I'll gladly buy them - you do do ticket sales at face value here like on Bluemoon, yes?

I don't do trains and I don't live near London!
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum