Russia / Putin / Thugs / World Cup

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Russia / Putin / Thugs / World Cup

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:38 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
PeterParker wrote:If you think Russia will be bad, wait for Qatar.

Really?

I personally think Qatar will likely be one of the most successful world cups ever held from the fans perspective, so I'm very interested to hear why it would be bad, in comparison to the fan experience so far in this tournament or in Russia where people likely simply won't go because of fear of violence

You live there, so you might know things better.

From the outside, looks like a poor idea. First of all, this might be the first major competition held there, how is the security? How are things outside Dubai?

I think the fans will skip that one. If you look at the past two World Cups, you will see that many european supporters decided to say a definitive pass to the competition for reasons from safety, to distance and so on. With this you might add prices also.

Plus, like it or not, there will be a lot of rumours about how the stadiums will be built and how will human rights will be respected or not. But again, this is an outsiders point of view, your arguments are more solid, I am sure.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:44 pm

mr_nool wrote:Uefa can't do anything about what goes on outside the stadium. Hence only the Russian are getting the suspended disqualification for the trouble their fans caused the stands, attacking the English fans.

It'll be interesting to see whether the Russians view Wales as 'British' or not.

If the Welsh fans goad the Russian fans enough to make them cause trouble inside the stadium, Wales are through regardless of their results vs. England and Russia. Interesting scenario.

On this note, if Russia were to be kicked out, would it be possible for all 3 teams to progress from the group, were England to beat Wales, and Slovakia to beat England?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby iwasthere2012 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:45 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:

Really?

I personally think Qatar will likely be one of the most successful world cups ever held from the fans perspective, so I'm very interested to hear why it would be bad, in comparison to the fan experience so far in this tournament or in Russia where people likely simply won't go because of fear of violence

Will the fans be allowed drink and party?
Even if we did qualify us Pale skinned Irish would fry over their.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby BlueinBosnia » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:58 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Really?

From the outside, looks like a poor idea. First of all, this might be the first major competition held there, how is the security? How are things outside Dubai?

Dubai isn't in Qatar. Qatar's about the size of (old) Yorkshire, so it's not too hard to extrapolate the security from the capital to the rest of the country. Also, 6 of the 12 (proposed) venues are in Doha.

The AFC Cup (Asia's equivalent of the Euros) was held there in 2011, as was the 2015 handball World Cup (a massive sport in countries that play it).

I think it'll be a great family-friendly world cup. However, saying that is like saying Hitler's space program would've been amazing had he won the Second World War.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:05 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Really?

I think the fans will skip that one. If you look at the past two World Cups, you will see that many european supporters decided to say a definitive pass to the competition for reasons from safety, to distance and so on. With this you might add prices also.

Plus, like it or not, there will be a lot of rumours about how the stadiums will be built and how will human rights will be respected or not. But again, this is an outsiders point of view, your arguments are more solid, I am sure.

My first observation, particularly regarding the security aspect, is that essentially in
Qatar and UAE fuck all happens without their intelligence people knowing about it. I can't actually think of a safer place to hold a World Cup from a terrorism perspective. Like it or not, Qatar have been known to actually pay protection money to Al Qaeda back in the day when they were a thing, so these people won't hesitate to do what is necessary for a safe World Cup.

From the hooligan side of things, the accommodation options in Qatar will likely be 5* hotels and cruise ships in the order of £300 a night, so the cost for these empty heads to pitch up for more than a couple of days will be prohibitively expensive. Like with Japan/Korea, South Africa, Brazil, the thug elements simply won't be able to afford it. The only concern would be the concentration of stadia and accommodation in and around Doha, however if you have priced out the hooligan element, I personally think this concentration of fans from all countries could make for the best fan zones the best ever seen. The threat that you WILL do serious bird in a nasty prison system if you step out of line should be enough to dissuade those who do go from acting up.

On the workers issues, one thing I don't accept is the tabloid screaming about Construction deaths, I can categorically assure you that is a myth......to give an example, when these stories were coming out in the media about people dying on World Cup construction sites, they hadn't even broken ground on a single stadium and the death rate of working age Nepali and Indians (from all causes) is actually considerably lower in Qatar than in their home countries. When I left Qatar a year ago, there hadn't been a single death on any World Cup site.....that will change though as the lack of safety awareness of some of the Indian workers has to be seen to be believed, and they need protecting from themselves which is why the main stadium contractors are all European companies like Bechtel, Carillion etc, and held to European site safety standards.

Yes abuses of workers exist amongst some unscrupulous sub contractors, and Qatar has to clean it's act up to sort this out, but the reality is that the vast majority of workers are far better off in Qatar, than the squalor that they came from.

Don't get me wrong, I won't defend them against the indefensible like aspects of their labor law and Kafala system that they still refuse to amend, but I hope I can provide a more balanced view of how it's likely to play out vs the largely racist, lazy, uninformed hysteria that the media peddle
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:16 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Really?

Will the fans be allowed drink and party?
Even if we did qualify us Pale skinned Irish would fry over their.

The fan zones and areas outside the stadia will be huge with a mixture of shade and open areas. Temperatures will be 27-30 degrees that time of year with no humidity, so very pleasant.

On partying, the rule in the Middle East is that it's illegal to be drunk, and in reality (as anyone will testify if they've been out in Dubai) that's hardly ever enforced because you don't go staggering the streets from bar to bar so the police never get to see you pissed.

In reality, you can expect a beer to be the best part of 7-10 euros outside of happy hours, when prices would come down to about 5 euros, with no off licenses or other sources of alcohol, so again, it will be a deterrent to people whose sole intention is to go get steaming and look for trouble - a positive thing in my view.
Last edited by Im_Spartacus on Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:19 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Really?

Dubai isn't in Qatar. Qatar's about the size of (old) Yorkshire, so it's not too hard to extrapolate the security from the capital to the rest of the country. Also, 6 of the 12 (proposed) venues are in Doha.

The AFC Cup (Asia's equivalent of the Euros) was held there in 2011, as was the 2015 handball World Cup (a massive sport in countries that play it).

I think it'll be a great family-friendly world cup. However, saying that is like saying Hitler's space program would've been amazing had he won the Second World War.

Ha, Doha, yes. Dunno why I was thinking Dubai.

Good to hear that. But 6 venues in one city is a new thing, never happend before. It would be interesting how they will manage this in the Confederation Cup one year earlier.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby PeterParker » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:22 pm

Im_Spartacus wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Really?

My first observation, particularly regarding the security aspect, is that essentially in
Qatar and UAE fuck all happens without their intelligence people knowing about it. I can't actually think of a safer place to hold a World Cup from a terrorism perspective. Like it or not, Qatar have been known to actually pay protection money to Al Qaeda back in the day when they were a thing, so these people won't hesitate to do what is necessary for a safe World Cup.

From the hooligan side of things, the accommodation options in Qatar will likely be 5* hotels and cruise ships in the order of £300 a night, so the cost for these empty heads to pitch up for more than a couple of days will be prohibitively expensive. Like with Japan/Korea, South Africa, Brazil, the thug elements simply won't be able to afford it. The only concern would be the concentration of stadia and accommodation in and around Doha, however if you have priced out the hooligan element, I personally think this concentration of fans from all countries could make for the best fan zones the best ever seen. The threat that you WILL do serious bird in a nasty prison system if you step out of line should be enough to dissuade those who do go from acting up.

On the workers issues, one thing I don't accept is the tabloid screaming about Construction deaths, I can categorically assure you that is a myth......to give an example, when these stories were coming out in the media about people dying on World Cup construction sites, they hadn't even broken ground on a single stadium and the death rate of working age Nepali and Indians (from all causes) is actually considerably lower in Qatar than in their home countries. When I left Qatar a year ago, there hadn't been a single death on any World Cup site.....that will change though as the lack of safety awareness of some of the Indian workers has to be seen to be believed, and they need protecting from themselves which is why the main stadium contractors are all European companies like Bechtel, Carillion etc, and held to European site safety standards.

Yes abuses of workers exist amongst some unscrupulous sub contractors, and Qatar has to clean it's act up to sort this out, but the reality is that the vast majority of workers are far better off in Qatar, than the squalor that they came from.

Don't get me wrong, I won't defend them against the indefensible like aspects of their labor law and Kafala system that they still refuse to amend, but I hope I can provide a more balanced view of how it's likely to play out vs the largely racist, lazy, uninformed hysteria that the media peddle

Thank you for your argument, good to hear that.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:22 pm

PeterParker wrote:
BlueinBosnia wrote:
PeterParker wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Really?

Ha, Doha, yes. Dunno why I was thinking Dubai.

Good to hear that. But 6 venues in one city is a new thing, never happend before. It would be interesting how they will manage this in the Confederation Cup one year earlier.

The big gamble I think, is that last I heard the confederations cup won't be held in Doha as the warm up for the facilities, so the infrastructure will be untested for the World Cup
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby patrickblue » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:04 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:
mr_nool wrote:Uefa can't do anything about what goes on outside the stadium.

If the Welsh fans goad the Russian fans enough to make them cause trouble inside the stadium, Wales are through regardless of their results vs. England and Russia. Interesting scenario.

TBH, I'm pretty sure they won't be able to resist. Especially if Wales look like losing.
That of course if they're not involved in one of their Swansea/Cardiff brawls
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby BlueinBosnia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:37 pm

So with Russia's defeat today, they're essentially in need of a win against Wales to qualify. If they lose or draw, and then kick off inside the stadium, could they be thrown out of Euro 2020?
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Nigels Tackle » Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:48 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:So with Russia's defeat today, they're essentially in need of a win against Wales to qualify. If they lose or draw, and then kick off inside the stadium, could they be thrown out of Euro 2020?

i'd ban them from their own world cup
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby patrickblue » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:18 pm

They're just a bunch of corrupt bastards who shouldn't be allowed to compete, let alone host anything.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36542577
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby failsworthblue » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:27 pm

They are not interested in matters on the pitch , they are already European Champions in hitting people with iron bars , kicking people in the head when they are nearly already dead and all good stuff like that.

Got family in Spain and it is full of the inbred wankers.

Most ignorant people I have ever met.

I am old school and the things I have seen at the weekend has touched a nerve .
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby little boy blue » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:54 pm

with there result today don't think think they will qualify so Russian thugs might go ballistic as they can't be thrown out
little boy blue
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: manchestercity
My favourite player is: davidsilva

Postby zuricity » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:34 pm

Why tf would anyone spend money to go to Qatar and hang around in a fan zone ? Complete bonkers like holding a World Cup in Qatar. Has sweet fa for the fans.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby bigblue » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:28 pm

zuricity wrote:Why tf would anyone spend money to go to Qatar and hang around in a fan zone ? Complete bonkers like holding a World Cup in Qatar. Has sweet fa for the fans.

Exactly, just go to any public area in your city that has easy access to booze and isn't located in an overpriced desert.

I think Qatar, Dubai, and much of that area of the world is a shithole. No urban planning, no walkability, no fun (unless you enjoy blowing your whole bank account), as hot as Mars, and all the girls are covered up. Then there's the crazy religious stuff and draconian laws for things that most of the would would find no big deal.

No thanks.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:55 pm

bigblue wrote:
zuricity wrote:Why tf would anyone spend money to go to Qatar and hang around in a fan zone ? Complete bonkers like holding a World Cup in Qatar. Has sweet fa for the fans.

Exactly, just go to any public area in your city that has easy access to booze and isn't located in an overpriced desert.

I think Qatar, Dubai, and much of that area of the world is a shithole. No urban planning, no walkability, no fun (unless you enjoy blowing your whole bank account), as hot as Mars, and all the girls are covered up. Then there's the crazy religious stuff and draconian laws for things that most of the would would find no big deal.

No thanks.

Your winning the argument on my mind.
Can't see any average fan getting there or wanting to. Every bit as corrupt how it ended up there.
Wouldn't fancy going to Russia either even if I had the money. You could end up dead just following football. Crazy.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:20 am

Ive read that the next euros is going to be spread over a dozen european cities.... is this still happening?..If so my hope for one day attending a tournament is moving further from reality. Hopefully portugal & spain can lodge a bid to host one at some point...ill be about 140 before england get the world cup..which is a travesty..im sure our police would deal with the logistics better than the french thats for sure...theyve learned from their mistakes at least.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:39 am

Bianchi on Ice wrote:Ive read that the next euros is going to be spread over a dozen european cities.... is this still happening?.

Yes you are correct. this is how its going to pan out.......

Final and semi-finals: London (England)

Quarter-finals and group stage: Munich (Germany), Baku (Azerbaijan), Saint Petersburg (Russia), Rome (Italy)

Round of 16 and group stage: Copenhagen (Denmark), Bucharest (Romania), Amsterdam (Netherlands), Dublin (Republic of Ireland), Bilbao (Spain), Budapest (Hungary), Brussels (Belgium), Glasgow (Scotland)

Talk about not making it fan friendly at the group stages!
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum