Euro 2016: England v Russia

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Euro 2016: England v Russia

Postby Mase » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:32 am

I see Sterling is getting quite a lot of abuse about the way he played on my Facebook timeline. Did he play that badly? I didn't see the game myself.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Blue In Bolton » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:43 am

Mase wrote:I see Sterling is getting quite a lot of abuse about the way he played on my Facebook timeline. Did he play that badly? I didn't see the game myself.

I thought he did ok personally. Didn't set the world on fire but had the Russian right back shitting himself because of his natural pace. I think Milner coming on for him encouraged the Russians more than the Wilshere sub to be honest.

As has been previously said Kane was shocking and the team as a whole just kept putting their efforts straight down Akinfeev's throat. A very encouraging start but I knew as soon as that twat Tyldesley started harping on about "Game Management" that we would concede.
Blue In Bolton
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David White

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:47 am

Mase wrote:I see Sterling is getting quite a lot of abuse about the way he played on my Facebook timeline. Did he play that badly? I didn't see the game myself.

He wasn't great, but his runs led to some decent chances and he occupied the attentions of the Russian defence whilst he was on. Overall, the team played better with him than without him.
I used to think the same about Trevor Sinclair, he never seemed to play that well but the team looked more effective with him on the pitch. Funny old game
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby nottsblue » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:14 am

Lev Bronstein wrote:

He wasn't great, but his runs led to some decent chances and he occupied the attentions of the Russian defence whilst he was on. Overall, the team played better with him than without him.
I used to think the same about Trevor Sinclair, he never seemed to play that well but the team looked more effective with him on the pitch. Funny old game

Not unlike Navas either
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:19 am

Blue In Bolton wrote:

I thought he did ok personally. Didn't set the world on fire but had the Russian right back shitting himself because of his natural pace. I think Milner coming on for him encouraged the Russians more than the Wilshere sub to be honest.

As has been previously said Kane was shocking and the team as a whole just kept putting their efforts straight down Akinfeev's throat. A very encouraging start but I knew as soon as that twat Tyldesley started harping on about "Game Management" that we would concede.

Agree with this, particularly about the impact his being subbed had. You should leave your best counter attacking players on when you go 1 up so late.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:23 am

Bianchi on Ice wrote:
Dameerto wrote:Once again, ITV news describing the violence as being between "England fans, some locals, and some Russians". Because it's only England that has a football hooligan problem. I'm getting sick of it, it's like I'm watching City at International level.

The tub thumping and xenophobia stops at rampaging football supporters, and the press know where their bread is buttered...theyve spent too long calling them scum without realising the irony that many of the twats who rampage around form their world views by the media and are blindly led by the media that eventually turns on them. I could say in a naive moment that our beloved press could pause for some introspection but its too good a chance for a sensational on-running story, and the facts will never get in the way of that.

Good post. Attention Phips, there's some proper insight provided here.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby london blue 2 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:47 am

Sterling had a good first half but faded second. Still a better counter attacking option than Milner but I understand why he was subbed.

Not sure why he's being singled out though, it's not as though anyone else's final ball was any good last night.
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby aaron bond » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:49 am

It was a disappointing result, but the performance was better than expected particularly in the first half.

Sterling's end product could have been better at times but he was causing their defence lots of problems. Every time he received the ball he broke down the wing at pace.

Kane had a poor game and should have been taken off. He never appeared to be in good positions in the box. Why he was taking corners I do not know.

Hodgson should have left Rooney on. He was having a good game and we were reasonably solid in defence and midfield, so need to change anyone in those positions. The changes I would have made would have only been to the front 3 to put on some fresh/legs to challenge the tiring/slow Russian defence.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:57 am

The main point is that with Gary Linneker or Shearer on the field we would've been 3 up at half time.

Kane is not an international player. He runs around a lot and shoots from 35 yards, but has no idea how to get in the box at the right time in the right place
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:41 am

john@staustell wrote:The main point is that with Gary Linneker or Shearer on the field we would've been 3 up at half time.

Kane is not an international player. He runs around a lot and shoots from 35 yards, but has no idea how to get in the box at the right time in the right place

Any decent manager would have subbed him for Vardy on the 65 minute mark...but no...dumb fuck keeps him on and then puts donkey Milner in.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:38 pm

john@staustell wrote:The main point is that with Gary Linneker or Shearer on the field we would've been 3 up at half time.

I'd agree with that.
I honestly do think that England squad is only a few tweaks away from being genuine contenders.
Whether the correct personnel get to play
or not is the question and whether others should have been brought instead is a different question.
Whatever the answer to that, I still think you have enough in that squad to at least make a semi-final. After that, who knows with a bit of luck.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:49 am

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

Any decent manager would have subbed him for Vardy on the 65 minute mark...but no...dumb fuck keeps him on and then puts donkey Milner in.

Exactly how I felt and Milner fell for the dummy on the cross for the equalizer. Brilliant game management.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Hazy2 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:25 pm

Can the Hooligans bring on a sub, The Ruskies look to have been to fight club !
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Swales4ever » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:12 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

My highly respected mate Zurich didnt get it [or pretended not] but that was my point too.
Vardy would have opened green grass for England once in front.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum