Copa America

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Copa America

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Jun 11, 2016 7:41 am

Surprised none of our American friends haven't got a thread going yet (or anyone for that matter).

Otamendi took the lead for the Argies last night in a 5-0 win over Panama, Sergio scored after coming from the bench and Messi bagged s hattrick

A tough one to follow from this side of the pond as most games from what I see are 02:00 or later
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Re: Copa America

Postby Alioune DVToure » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:13 am

I'm glad Chile got past Bolivia in the end. I've got a double on them for the Copa and England (I know, I know) for the Euros. Couldn't resist at 90/1. This feels like the era of the outsider.
Alioune DVToure
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: City

Postby CTID Hants » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:18 am

Alioune DVToure wrote:I'm glad Chile got past Bolivia in the end. I've got a double on them for the Copa and England (I know, I know) for the Euros. Couldn't resist at 90/1. This feels like the era of the outsider.

Brave man ADVT, let's hope the beers are on you, but I am hoping you didn't bet your house on it ;-)
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby Nigels Tackle » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:26 am

caught a few mins of it when i was over in the us last week. it's beyond shit. that's standard of play and as a spectacle.
basically an american version of the acon. with smaller crowds. embarrassing.
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby JamieMCFC » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:18 pm

Nigels Tackle wrote:caught a few mins of it when i was over in the us last week. it's beyond shit. that's standard of play and as a spectacle.

Most people over here see it as nothing more than a cash grab by CONMEBOL. The ticket prices for games are turning a lot of people off to it. They are celebrating the 100 years of their South American tournament by hosting it in North America. For no other reason they can charge higher ticket prices in the U.S. Despite the smaller crowds than the real Copa America. There is now talk of holding a combined Copa America and Gold Cup (CONCACAF's tournament) every four years in the U.S because of the amount of money they are generating. I did go to the U.S.-Costa Rica match in Chicago.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Slim » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:23 pm

Isn't the Copa the one where they have the next half dozen hosts already chosen? Surely they had to have the US pencilled in for this one a long time ago then.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:29 pm

not arsed about this tournament at all.
IF the games were played at a better time I might have some of these on background tho but then again any football is better than the shows missus wants to watch on telly
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:30 pm

CTID Hants wrote:Surprised none of our American friends haven't got a thread going yet (or anyone for that matter).

Otamendi took the lead for the Argies last night in a 5-0 win over Panama, Sergio scored after coming from the bench and Messi bagged s hattrick

A tough one to follow from this side of the pond as most games from what I see are 02:00 or later

The timing is perfect for us in Australia as the important matches are played around midday our time.
Kun has been used as a sub in the 2 matches the Argies played so far (Higauin is ahead of him !!). That's good for us as it means Kun will not be too tired at start of new season and hopefully will avoid any injuries!
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby nottsblue » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:22 pm

Uruguay have been eliminated already and Suarez hasnt even got on the pitch. Win some lose some eh Luis
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby phips » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:24 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
Nigels Tackle wrote:caught a few mins of it when i was over in the us last week. it's beyond shit. that's standard of play and as a spectacle.

Most people over here see it as nothing more than a cash grab by CONMEBOL. The ticket prices for games are turning a lot of people off to it. They are celebrating the 100 years of their South American tournament by hosting it in North America. For no other reason they can charge higher ticket prices in the U.S. despite the smaller crowds than the real Copa America.

i couldn't care less. the teams in it dont give a shit because its a fake tournament--its not a real Copa. its awful football.
i feel bad for South Americans having their historic tournament ripped from their country and put up here. stupid US trying to force their way into things and ruin other countries' traditions.
I'm not really a City fan. I'm just here for attention.

Barclays Premier League 2011-2012 CHAMP1-6NS
Barclays Premier League 2013-2014 CHAMP156NS
Barclays Premier League 2017-2018 CHAMP100NS
Barclays Premier League 2018-2019 CHAMP14ONS
Barclays Premier League 2020-2021 CHAM21ONS
Barclays Premier League 2021-2022 CHAM93ONS
Barclays Premier League 2022-2023 CHAM3XIONS
2022-2023 Domestic & European TR3BLE WINNERS
phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: Man City, Dortmund
My favourite player is: David Silva, Marco Reus

Postby Slim » Sat Jun 11, 2016 3:43 pm

nottsblue wrote:Uruguay have been eliminated already and Suarez hasnt even got on the pitch. Win some lose some eh Luis

No doubt he'll have a sound bite for the press.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby JamieMCFC » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Slim wrote:Isn't the Copa the one where they have the next half dozen hosts already chosen? Surely they had to have the US pencilled in for this one a long time ago then.

This isn't the real Copa. That was held last year. This is a tournament to celebrate the 100 years of Copa America.

phips wrote:i feel bad for South Americans having their historic tournament ripped from their country and put up here. stupid US trying to force their way into things and ruin other countries' traditions.

You truly are a special kind of idiot. This was decision of CONMEBOL to hold the tournament in the US. They knew they could make more money holding the tournament here. We didn't force our way into anything. Also every Copa since 1993 has 2 guest teams from other federations play in the tournament. To make up the numbers since CONMEBOL only has 10 teams. They are usually from CONCACAF with the exception of the 1999 tournament when Japan was once of the two guest teams.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby phips » Sat Jun 11, 2016 4:58 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
phips wrote:i feel bad for South Americans having their historic tournament ripped from their country and put up here. stupid US trying to force their way into things and ruin other countries' traditions.

You truly are a special kind of idiot. This was decision of CONMEBOL to hold the tournament in the US. They knew they could make more money holding the tournament here. We didn't force our way into anything. Also every Copa since 1993 has 2 guest teams from other federations play in the tournament. To make up the numbers since CONMEBOL only has 10 teams. They are usually from CONCACAF with the exception of the 1999 tournament when Japan was once of the two guest teams.

no idea what your last chunk is referring to.
and please tell me you're not naive enough to think that Conmebol made the decision on their own. US pushed for it and offered plenty of incentives. representatives of Conmebol are already regretting it. i mean, the US played the wrong national anthem for Uruguay and spelled Colombia "Columbia".

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby john@staustell » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:19 pm

Good old Ota
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:22 pm

JamieMCFC wrote:
Slim wrote:Isn't the Copa the one where they have the next half dozen hosts already chosen? Surely they had to have the US pencilled in for this one a long time ago then.

This isn't the real Copa. That was held last year. This is a tournament to celebrate the 100 years of Copa America.

So this isn't even a real tournament?

BRING KUN HOME!!!
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby SomeMichaelGuy » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:22 pm

A hat-trick for Messi, plus goals from Otter (https://streamable.com/9iz3) and Sergio (https://streamable.com/ooy7) as Argentina thrash Panama 5-0.

I realise this isn't breaking news, just the easiest way to link the videos.

Edit: You can watch more of the highlights on the SkySports site, including commentary from the world's most boring man:
http://www.skysports.com/football/news/ ... nst-panama
SomeMichaelGuy
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

My favourite player is: Aguero / Sun Jihai

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:17 pm

I've been watching a bit. Mexico, Argentina and Colombia looking good, and Uruguay imploding.

Big game for the US tonight against Paraguay. Draw takes them, probably, against Brazil here in the NYC area. I actually looked into getting tickets when I noticed that could be the draw, but they are very expensive (up $150 to $200 per ticket). No wonder the last USA game may have been so mediocrely attended in Chicago.

However, we did play the best I've seen in years against Costa Rica with some very nicely constructed and finished goals. Some young players to pay attention to with Wood and Pulisic, plus 25 year old Nagbe. Yet the latter two don't start, yet.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby PrezIke » Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:23 pm

phips wrote:
JamieMCFC wrote:

no idea what your last chunk is referring to.
and please tell me you're not naive enough to think that Conmebol made the decision on their own. US pushed for it and offered plenty of incentives. representatives of Conmebol are already regretting it. i mean, the US played the wrong national anthem for Uruguay and spelled Colombia "Columbia".

"representatives" as in the Uruguayan director or something, who was upset after they lost and over the anthem (which was not good, sure)? Actually, it was Adidas who spelled Colombia wrong, not the US hosts.

I think you are exaggerating just a tad bit here. This strengthens the region. I actually think it would be better if we were combined, and that would perhaps hurt USA when qualifying. CONMBEBOL may have been offered incentives, I don't really know, but it's about making money no matter what.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby phips » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:17 am

PrezIke wrote:Actually, it was Adidas who spelled Colombia wrong, not the US hosts.

when i wrote that the US played the wrong anthem and misspelled a country name I was merely referring to companies here not the actual US soccer federation. but yes, youre correct.

phips
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby iwasthere2012 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:23 am

phips wrote:
PrezIke wrote:Actually, it was Adidas who spelled Colombia wrong, not the US hosts.

when i wrote that the US played the wrong anthem and misspelled a country name I was merely referring to companies here not the actual US soccer federation. but yes, youre correct.

To the best of my knowledge Adidas are still German with their HQ in Bavaria.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum