New official site of City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

New official site of City

Postby PeterParker » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:49 am

Looks bad.

http://beta.mcfc.co.uk

I really enjoyed how it was now. This new version looks very common. Saw this thematic at Arsenal at some point.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Re: New official site of City

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:10 am

looks fine to me
when do we start using the new badge??
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:22 am

I am guessing we'll get used to it.

Truth be told their quality has been headed downhill for the last couple of seasons, so a change to revitalize might not be a bad thing.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:30 am

Seems more mobile user friendly so that suits me.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jun 02, 2016 9:51 am

Slim wrote:I am guessing we'll get used to it.

Truth be told their quality has been headed downhill for the last couple of seasons, so a change to revitalize might not be a bad thing.

It's been crap. Maybe it's all linked to the ticket system? Maybe we have a new head of IT and the old one's head lies in a basket somewhere in Gorton?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:07 am

Does any technical bod know what a 'Beta' site is? Is it something especially technological or is it just a word for revamp?

In any case looks like I can still read 'U18s reach youth cup final' whenever I like.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:17 am

john@staustell wrote:Does any technical bod know what a 'Beta' site is? Is it something especially technological or is it just a word for revamp?

In any case looks like I can still read 'U18s reach youth cup final' whenever I like.

Beta testing is usually the last stage before the public release. As a general rule it's to iron out any bugs by opening it up to a larger testing audience.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby PrezIke » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:24 am

PeterParker wrote:Looks bad.

http://beta.mcfc.co.uk

I really enjoyed how it was now. This new version looks very common. Saw this thematic at Arsenal at some point.

My feelings were similar. I like our current site. I tried it and went back rather quickly. I'm trying it again, but eh, I dunno. It's quite zoomed in or something.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:33 pm

john@staustell wrote:Does any technical bod know what a 'Beta' site is? Is it something especially technological or is it just a word for revamp?

They just misspelled "better"...
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby bigblue » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:05 pm

It looks like a basic WordPress theme that someone took 5 minutes to install. Old site is much, much better
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby I Just Blue Myself » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:59 pm

bigblue wrote:It looks like a basic WordPress theme that someone took 5 minutes to install. Old site is much, much better

Slap a bit of blue paint on it and it should look much more professional/less bland.

The social media nonsense on the right is far too prominent and why should I care that Dani Alves is leaving Barcelona?

It's very responsive though and should be easier to navigate on phones and tablets (haven't checked).
I Just Blue Myself
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: go౦ԁ sHit✔ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳ

Postby iwasthere2012 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:06 pm

I Just Blue Myself wrote:
bigblue wrote:It looks like a basic WordPress theme that someone took 5 minutes to install. Old site is much, much better

Slap a bit of blue paint on it and it should look much more professional/less bland.

The social media nonsense on the right is far too prominent and why should I care that Dani Alves is leaving Barcelona?

It's very responsive though and should be easier to navigate on phones and tablets (haven't checked).

Agree about the social media stuff, not my cup of tea, but you are definitely right about the responsiveness. That's the first thing I noticed.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby JamieMCFC » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:19 pm

You can make suggestions on improvements or changes you would like to see them make. It's the reason they launch a beta for the public to test.

http://mcfcsurvey.website-beta-survey.sgizmo.com/s3/
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Dameerto » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:49 pm

It's a design stage like Slim mentions. (typically pre-alpha, alpha, beta then gold (release) - some developers have sub-stages and sub-sub-stages too)
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby ruralblue » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:05 pm

I liked the site as it was and didn't it win a load of awards for being so good?

If it ain't broke......
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:51 pm

ruralblue wrote:I liked the site as it was and didn't it win a load of awards for being so good?

If it ain't broke......

I guess an analogy would be like the city first team, starts off great but if you don't continually improve it it will eventually end up old and slow. Lol
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ruralblue » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:27 pm

london blue 2 wrote:
ruralblue wrote:I liked the site as it was and didn't it win a load of awards for being so good?

If it ain't broke......

I guess an analogy would be like the city first team, starts off great but if you don't continually improve it it will eventually end up old and slow. Lol

Ha ha very true.

Good though that they are wanting suggestions. I will feedback to then once again that the volume level of the pressers is too low.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby CTID Hants » Thu Jun 02, 2016 6:29 pm

ruralblue wrote:
Good though that they are wanting suggestions. I will feedback to then once again that the volume level of the pressers is too low.

I just thought was Pellers muttering?

It'll probably get changed properly when they launch the new badge?
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby bigblue » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:29 pm

london blue 2 wrote:

If it ain't broke......

Websites are just like buildings. If they're designed correctly, they shouldn't need to be continually improved on the frontend, only on the backend. The most used website in the world looks practically the same as it did 10 years ago (Google).

With the City site, I feel like they started with a beautifully designed house. Then kept adding additions and rooms until it was still nice, but not as cohesive and elegant as before. And instead of tearing down all the additions, they now feel it's easier to demolish everything and start anew. The term you often hear for this is technical debt.

Shame because I really enjoy the current site.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:58 pm

bigblue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:

If it ain't broke......

Websites are just like buildings. If they're designed correctly, they shouldn't need to be continually improved on the frontend, only on the backend. The most used website in the world looks practically the same as it did 10 years ago (Google).

With the City site, I feel like they started with a beautifully designed house. Then kept adding additions and rooms until it was still nice, but not as cohesive and elegant as before. And instead of tearing down all the additions, they now feel it's easier to demolish everything and start anew. The term you often hear for this is technical debt.

Shame because I really enjoy the current site.

Nope, websites are like living organisms, when you fail to maintain them, they wither and die.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum