New official site of City

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: New official site of City

Postby mr_nool » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:07 pm

Slim wrote:
bigblue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
ruralblue wrote:I liked the site as it was and didn't it win a load of awards for being so good?

If it ain't broke......

I guess an analogy would be like the city first team, starts off great but if you don't continually improve it it will eventually end up old and slow. Lol

Websites are just like buildings. If they're designed correctly, they shouldn't need to be continually improved on the frontend, only on the backend. The most used website in the world looks practically the same as it did 10 years ago (Google).

With the City site, I feel like they started with a beautifully designed house. Then kept adding additions and rooms until it was still nice, but not as cohesive and elegant as before. And instead of tearing down all the additions, they now feel it's easier to demolish everything and start anew. The term you often hear for this is technical debt.

Shame because I really enjoy the current site.

Nope, websites are like living organisms, when you fail to maintain them, they wither and die.

As do buildings...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby bigblue » Thu Jun 02, 2016 8:22 pm

Slim wrote:
bigblue wrote:
london blue 2 wrote:
ruralblue wrote:I liked the site as it was and didn't it win a load of awards for being so good?

If it ain't broke......

I guess an analogy would be like the city first team, starts off great but if you don't continually improve it it will eventually end up old and slow. Lol

Websites are just like buildings. If they're designed correctly, they shouldn't need to be continually improved on the frontend, only on the backend. The most used website in the world looks practically the same as it did 10 years ago (Google).

With the City site, I feel like they started with a beautifully designed house. Then kept adding additions and rooms until it was still nice, but not as cohesive and elegant as before. And instead of tearing down all the additions, they now feel it's easier to demolish everything and start anew. The term you often hear for this is technical debt.

Shame because I really enjoy the current site.

Nope, websites are like living organisms, when you fail to maintain them, they wither and die.

Maintenance is different than slapping huge ads in the side margins, shop popups, social media counters, and a big top bar on the site! Just like how adding an addition (say a sunroom) is vastly different to replacing the shingles on the roof or cleaning the air filter.

Do you not get the difference between front and back end?
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Lee_R » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:42 pm

Well.. they can start by changing that badge.
Lee_R
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby Moonchesteri » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:04 pm

Lee_R wrote:Well.. they can start by changing that badge.

And add some sky blue there ffs.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Swales4ever » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:34 pm

well away from gaving any clue of web editing tools but it seems to me a general trend. possibly due to intention of being more android & co friendly.

I too preferred previous edition and agree with those noting a certain downhill in quality ober the last 2 years. Tbf, the level was really top then, so not much problem even with a little decrease.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby bigblue » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:10 pm

The shop website is better than this new test one and has plenty of blue
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash