European Championship

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: European Championship

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:11 pm

Slim wrote:
nottsblue wrote:
Slim wrote:KDB, Kroos and Gundogen as our midfield in a 4-3-3....surely we can do better, right?

Tasty though that may be, unless the four element of that formation performs to a higher standard than they did the previous year we will be clapping again

Losing Laporte was a bit of a shot, but maybe we just need who we currently have to perform how they have done for other clubs. I believe a lot of the underperforming was down to Pellegrini's tactic of a weak defensive central midfield. They were exposed a lot to midfield runs from deep and giving players that much time that close to our goal was suicidal at times.

That is true. As it goes I think Pep with fresh ideas will get the defence shipshape and I think the whole work ethic throughout the team will improve which will help out.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby nottsblue » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:18 pm

Doubt Robbie Brady will ever buy a drink in Ireland again. Fair play to Hoolahan for the run and cross so soon after his awful miss. Hope all our a Irish friends enjoy the night
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby Cocacolajojo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:19 pm

Slim wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:It's weird watching your favourite player and arguably your nation's finest player ever playing his last national team game. Thinking back to the first game you saw him play in, all the shit the national team manager got for not playing him and relying more on his talents, remembering all the times he made the difference for us. Thinking about how things would have been had he not had groin injuries in the 2006 world cup and the 2008 euros. Thinking about the amount of idiots he's been forced to play with over the years and wondering if he ever regretted not picking Croatia as his national team. Thinking about this year's Euros and how tame he's been and that this is the last memory he'll have of himself playing in the national team, hampered by the mind ghosts (or whatever it is) that always seemed to suck the air out of him in the Champion's League. Sensing how weird it's gonna be without him leading the line and actually forcing the next manager to have a tactic of some sort that extends further than "pass it to Zlatan". And the fact that I will have to stand at least a year with him plying his trade at Old Trafford.

Weird.

I was weirdly wanting Belgium to win and for Zlatan to score at the end, thought it was a fitting send off for probably the greatest ever Swedish player. No matter what you think of him.

That would have been bittersweet, to say the least. Agree though. Henrik Larsson was a better tournament player but that's about it. We had a few world class players in the 1940s and 1950s so if I'm lucky, watch my diet and Western civilization doesn't collapse, I'll get to see another magnificent Swedish footballer in 50 years' time or so. Obviously I'm banking on football to maintain its popularity.
Last edited by Cocacolajojo on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Agüero

Postby Cocacolajojo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:21 pm

PeterParker wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:It's weird watching your favourite player and arguably your nation's finest player ever playing his last national team game. Thinking back to the first game you saw him play in, all the shit the national team manager got for not playing him and relying more on his talents, remembering all the times he made the difference for us. Thinking about how things would have been had he not had groin injuries in the 2006 world cup and the 2008 euros. Thinking about the amount of idiots he's been forced to play with over the years and wondering if he ever regretted not picking Croatia as his national team. Thinking about this year's Euros and how tame he's been and that this is the last memory he'll have of himself playing in the national team, hampered by the mind ghosts (or whatever it is) that always seemed to suck the air out of him in the Champion's League. Sensing how weird it's gonna be without him leading the line and actually forcing the next manager to have a tactic of some sort that extends further than "pass it to Zlatan". And the fact that I will have to stand at least a year with him plying his trade at Old Trafford.

Weird.

At least we can watch without any hopes the tournament from now on.

Yeah, it's nice, in a way. Obviously will take a few days for me to get into the groove again but I'm gonna root for Iceland I think.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Cocacolajojo » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:23 pm

PeterParker wrote:

Weird.

What do you lot take from this tournament? For Sweden it's time for a restart. New manager who's gonna build for the next 4 years at least, old players retiring, new tactics, etc.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby PeterParker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Cocacolajojo wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Weird.

What do you lot take from this tournament? For Sweden it's time for a restart. New manager who's gonna build for the next 4 years at least, old players retiring, new tactics, etc.

Same. We went out bad, but because of our coach, who is stuck in he past and fucked up big time with every aspect regarding our presence there. We have the players, some will go, because they are old, but we have some interesting prospects that are coming from behind, but they need some guidance. We romanians act like we were favorites to win it, so the reactions towards the players is really bad. But overall, I am pleased.

The problem is that we do not have a new manager on the horizon. The Old Fuck is going, thank heavens, but Hiddink and Labbadia refused us. We will have for the first time a foreign manager, but no idea who it will be. Today they talked about Hizfeld, but I think he is too old. Ask me again in august.
PeterParker
Roberto Mancini's Scarf

Supporter of: The Blue Moon blues
My favourite player is: King Mike

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:33 pm

PrezIke wrote:So England gets Iceland. Most neutrals will probably be supporting Iceland, but that's not exactly a bad draw. Spain has to play Italy. Ouch.

No. the Iceland fans will be bouncing.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Johan Cruyff

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Hard luck CCJJ.
Thought our chance was gone after the draw with Sweden but Italy winning their opening two games was fortunate for us.
They put out a weak team tonight and we benefitted from it. It's the way it goes in tournaments I suppose.

Brady was so emotional after. That was his family in the stands that he ran over to.

Now we've just to get by France( we'll never be allowed) to set up a possible QF against England.
Last edited by iwasthere2012 on Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:34 pm

Stan wrote:Game over: NI v Wales; RoI v France?

A chance for RoI to get one back against those basketball playing cheats.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:00 pm

iwasthere2012 wrote:Hard luck CCJJ.
Thought our chance was gone after the draw with Sweden but Italy winning their opening two games was fortunate for us.
They put out a week team tonight and we benefitted from it. It's the way it goes in tournaments I suppose.

Brady was so emotional after. That was his family in the stands that he ran over to.

Now we've just to get by France( we'll never be allowed) to set up a possible QF against England.

I was in Monica's GAA club for the game last Saturday and they were giving a free drink to everyone if Brady scored the first goal. A load ( big family ) of Brady's aunts and uncles drink there. I'd say the place is hopping tonight.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby iwasthere2012 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:02 pm

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
They put out a week team tonight and we benefitted from it. It's the way it goes in tournaments I suppose.

I was in Monica's GAA club for the game last Saturday and they were giving a free drink to everyone if Brady scored the first goal. A load ( big family ) of Brady's aunts and uncles drink there. I'd say the place is hopping tonight.

Thrilled for the lad.
Did you see the interview with him immediately after the game. Hope they are not too emotionally drained to play France.
I know it's payback time, but I just can't see us being allowed beat them, even if we do get another performance out of our lads.
iwasthere2012
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva (was PabZab)

Postby Slim » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:47 am

Peter Doherty (AGAIG) wrote:
PrezIke wrote:So England gets Iceland. Most neutrals will probably be supporting Iceland, but that's not exactly a bad draw. Spain has to play Italy. Ouch.

Anyone who think we're getting an easy ride against Iceland is in for a shock, they've been my boys this tournament. They rabbit after everything all the time and defend like their lives depend on it.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Cocacolajojo » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:21 am

PeterParker wrote:
Cocacolajojo wrote:
PeterParker wrote:

Weird.

Same. We went out bad, but because of our coach, who is stuck in he past and fucked up big time with every aspect regarding our presence there. We have the players, some will go, because they are old, but we have some interesting prospects that are coming from behind, but they need some guidance. We romanians act like we were favorites to win it, so the reactions towards the players is really bad. But overall, I am pleased.

The problem is that we do not have a new manager on the horizon. The Old Fuck is going, thank heavens, but Hiddink and Labbadia refused us. We will have for the first time a foreign manager, but no idea who it will be. Today they talked about Hizfeld, but I think he is too old. Ask me again in august.

Ok, will do :)

Well we only have ourselves to blame. Had we not conceded from a fucking throw-in in the dying minutes of the Italy game they would have had to win over you, at least draw. Now they could sit back and rest, which is the exact same thing any team would have done in the same position.
Cocacolajojo
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:45 am

iwasthere2012 wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:

Thrilled for the lad.
Did you see the interview with him immediately after the game. Hope they are not too emotionally drained to play France.
I know it's payback time, but I just can't see us being allowed beat them, even if we do get another performance out of our lads.

Yeah, he left it all out there as they all did. Hope we win with someone punching the ball into the net on Sunday.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby johnny crossan » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:52 am

the top half of this draw is definitely the place to be

England's dire draws have cost them dear.
johnny crossan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:57 am

Slim wrote:

Anyone who think we're getting an easy ride against Iceland is in for a shock, they've been my boys this tournament. They rabbit after everything all the time and defend like their lives depend on it.

They have the look of Greece from 2004 about them.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:59 am

Slim wrote:

only taller and blonder
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby Peter Doherty (AGAIG) » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:08 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Slim wrote:

only taller and blonder

But without the colourful history.
Peter Doherty (AGAIG)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dameerto » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:01 am

Nigels Tackle wrote:
Slim wrote:

only taller and blonder

But without the colourful history.

And less hummus.
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:16 pm

Ouch.

I've a head like a bag of spanners today. What a brilliant way to go through. Haven't felt pure emotion like that watching an Ireland game for many a year.
It's amazing the lift it gives everyone you meet and talk to.

There wont be a fucking tap done over here on Monday and the calls home asking for more money to be sent no matter what must be hilarious.

Happy days - now bring on these French bastards. We've a score to settle.
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum