As Yaya is no doubt off, here is a reminder of his...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: As Yaya is no doubt off, here is a reminder of his...

Postby bigblue » Mon May 16, 2016 1:48 pm

An absolute monster. To combine his size and speed with such world-class skill is unreal. Made it look like he was playing against youth players at times. Plus, he was a very intelligent player in possession, knowing when to push on and when to just keep the ball.

We would have won fuck all without him (ok maybe a single cup).

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Your fuckign deluded at times mate....It is beyond argument that YAYA has been an immense player for us on the field AT TIMES, and some of those times were KEY TIMES but overall he had more shit games than good games...I dont even think thats arguable.

Crazy. Even for CAPS LOCK CARL standards thats absolutely mental. If you can watch the entire 43 minute video above (as your memory seems to be drowned in boozy anger) and still think Yaya had more shit games than good games.... there's not much else to say as I'd be talking to a brain-dead mong

And CARL, you're 10x the cunt that Yaya's agent will every be. But for you that's probably a term of endearment.
bigblue
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Manchester's Only
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby aaron bond » Mon May 16, 2016 2:20 pm

Overall, he's been great for us and was a true big game player. Had both the ability to drive the game forward with his marauding runs and retain possession for the team with his great passing range.

His off-the-field incidents with his agent always left a sour taste and it was a shame they happened.

The last 18 months he has been in gradual decline and he was abysmal this season. Pellegrini's persistence with him was a big factor in many of our poor performances. He should not have played much this season and the blame for that lies with Pellegrini.

But the FA Cup semi final, FA Cup Final, the 2 goals away at Newcastle, the incredible free kicks, the 40 yard strike away at Stoke, the one in the 4-0 win at home vs. Villa and the League Cup screamer...just to name a few...all were key in our success in recent years.

Good luck in the future Yaya. Probably 1 year too late, but now it's time for him to move on.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby nottsblue » Mon May 16, 2016 6:12 pm

An absolute monster of a player. In the last 60 years, how many players like him who had his range of skills have we had? Two? Three? Not fucking many, that is for sure. A great of the modern game who is up there with Gerrard, Lampard, Vieira, Keane as the best in the game.

Yes, his agent is a massive bell end who makes Willie McKay look like a stand up decent guy, but it's what a player does on the field of play that counts. Big game? No bother, Yaya will step up to the plate and dominate. Yes, with hindsight he perhaps has stayed a season too many but that is the clubs fault.

I am not certain he will be sold though. I can see him doing a role similar to what Alonso does for Bayern. His legs have gone and there are far fewer bursting runs but his range of passing and ball retention remain excellent. If he has played his last game however, then every last City fan, man woman and child should applaud his efforts over the last six years and be thankful for what he has brought to us.
nottsblue
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: niall Quinn & Kun

Postby london blue 2 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:14 pm

Is there one of these for Richard Wright as he's now retired?

Proper city legend.

https://m.dreamteamfc.com/c/the-greates ... e-noticed/
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby aristation » Mon May 16, 2016 7:10 pm

I had forgotten just how fast he was, what a shame this season made me forget.
He was an animal just unstoppable I now see how far we dropped back this season
It may be my last year as a season ticket holder as it just doesn't seem the same with so few English and local players (but I said that last year)
aristation
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater

Postby City64 » Mon May 16, 2016 7:12 pm

bigblue wrote:An absolute monster. To combine his size and speed with such world-class skill is unreal. Made it look like he was playing against youth players at times. Plus, he was a very intelligent player in possession, knowing when to push on and when to just keep the ball.

We would have won fuck all without him (ok maybe a single cup).

carl_feedthegoat wrote:Your fuckign deluded at times mate....It is beyond argument that YAYA has been an immense player for us on the field AT TIMES, and some of those times were KEY TIMES but overall he had more shit games than good games...I dont even think thats arguable.

Crazy. Even for CAPS LOCK CARL standards thats absolutely mental. If you can watch the entire 43 minute video above (as your memory seems to be drowned in boozy anger) and still think Yaya had more shit games than good games.... there's not much else to say as I'd be talking to a brain-dead mong

And CARL, you're 10x the cunt that Yaya's agent will every be. But for you that's probably a term of endearment.

CAPS LOCK CARL ^^^^^
just fell over pissing myself ! :-D :-D
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Mon May 16, 2016 8:08 pm

Ray78 wrote:You cannot knock his contribution and achievements at the club but it doesn't excuse his half arsed performances under both Mancini and Pellegrini while being captain and airing his dirty laundry (through his agent) in public. It is the same with Tevez.

Dirty laundry I'd agree with, but I never saw Tevez give less than 110% on the pitch.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Ray78 » Mon May 16, 2016 9:09 pm

patrickblue wrote:
Ray78 wrote:You cannot knock his contribution and achievements at the club but it doesn't excuse his half arsed performances under both Mancini and Pellegrini while being captain and airing his dirty laundry (through his agent) in public. It is the same with Tevez.

Dirty laundry I'd agree with, but I never saw Tevez give less than 110% on the pitch.

Tevez wasn't fully committed to the club. He handed in two transfer request (the first happened in Mancini's full season in Charge and when he was team captain) and his mid season golfing holiday in the first title winning season showed that. It took Khaldoon Al Mubarak to get him back when he and his agent were angling for a cut price January move to AC Milan.
Ray78
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Erm.......

Postby patrickblue » Mon May 16, 2016 9:46 pm

Ray78 wrote:
patrickblue wrote:

Tevez wasn't fully committed to the club. He handed in two transfer request (the first happened in Mancini's full season in Charge and when he was team captain) and his mid season golfing holiday in the first title winning season showed that. It took Khaldoon Al Mubarak to get him back when he and his agent were angling for a cut price January move to AC Milan.

I don't disagree with any of that, it's just that it never affected his performance when he played.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby Ray78 » Mon May 16, 2016 10:13 pm

True, Tevez did have a decent final season at City and he was workhorse when crossed the white.
Ray78
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: Erm.......

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Tue May 17, 2016 12:47 am

nottsblue wrote:An absolute monster of a player. In the last 60 years, how many players like him who had his range of skills have we had? Two? Three? Not fucking many, that is for sure. A great of the modern game who is up there with Gerrard, Lampard, Vieira, Keane as the best in the game.

Yes, his agent is a massive bell end who makes Willie McKay look like a stand up decent guy, but it's what a player does on the field of play that counts. Big game? No bother, Yaya will step up to the plate and dominate. Yes, with hindsight he perhaps has stayed a season too many but that is the clubs fault.

I am not certain he will be sold though. I can see him doing a role similar to what Alonso does for Bayern. His legs have gone and there are far fewer bursting runs but his range of passing and ball retention remain excellent. If he has played his last game however, then every last City fan, man woman and child should applaud his efforts over the last six years and be thankful for what he has brought to us.

Totally agree with this. Great post.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby PrezIke » Tue May 17, 2016 2:49 am

Became my favourite player with those runs down the middle that caused defences nightmares, brushing aside tackles like a swashbuckling tight end or running back in American football or rubgy player. His performance in our 2nd title winning season was other worldly, where it felt like every time he would take a free kick he would score, and probably has more goals in important matches throughout his tenure than anyone else during this era, and that also includes Agueeeerrooooo. He was also the ignition key to our attacking engine with his masterful build up play, vision only bested by Silva, one-twos, and capacity to switch play via those curling cross pitch passes.

I genuinely love all of the key and cult players that came in or played for us during these years, so it's always hard to pick one.

I think part of the change in attitude came after he felt slighted, and justifiably so if you ask me, after he came in 3rd behind Gerrard in some Player of the Year awards in 2013-14, when really only Suarez deserved to be ahead of him, and only slightly I'd say. He was the definition of beast that season. Losing a step in Pellegrini's second season, and another one or two this season, along with a massive ego hurt his standing with a number of fans. What some seem to forget may have been the effects of the loss of his brother that summer and how it may have led to his poor decision to react about his birthday, which his agent decided to pray upon further not thinking how he was hurting his client's standing with the fans.

Will miss the man mountain, and wish him the best wherever he goes. I hope over time fans warm up to him as I have seen in other cases of similar memory because the positives far outweigh the concerns. Yaya Touré. City Legend. Full stop.
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby ENIAM NAM » Tue May 17, 2016 7:04 am

We've certainly missed him this year and the fact it is such a long video shows how good he was over the previous years. Big, big transfer window to replace him, and others, for pep.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 17, 2016 8:48 am

I have a suspicion he may still be around come September 1st

Whilst Pep may have bombed him out of Barcelona, that was against the backdrop of Yaya playing Centre Back, with Busquets, Xavi & Iniesta sitting in the midfield. He wasn't a centre back and wasn't going to get a chance in front of those three at that stage of his career - it was only after joining us that he stepped up his game to the level of those 3, so it was in both parties' interest to move on.

This time around, we don't exactly have Busquets, Xavi and Iniesta in the midfield, and therefore given defence has got to be our no1 transfer priority this summer, I don't think we will have enough bodies to cover for the central midfield slots, even if we do get Pogba, as I expect Delph and Fernando won't be pep's cup of tea.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 17, 2016 8:52 am

I wouldn't completely rule it out Sparty as you just never know however I don't necessarily agree that defence is our priority. I think the centre of midfield is a much more pressing issue when it comes to attempting to implement a Pep philosophy on this squad.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 17, 2016 9:01 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I wouldn't completely rule it out Sparty as you just never know however I don't necessarily agree that defence is our priority. I think the centre of midfield is a much more pressing issue when it comes to attempting to implement a Pep philosophy on this squad.

Perhaps so, I suppose my assumption is drawn from our ageing fullbacks and his history of having the likes of Alves, Alaba, Lahm etc covering the wings for his teams. I'm not convinced CB will see a huge amount of change - afterall, if he can get the defensive shield correct in midfield, the pressure would be very much off the centre halves.

I agree that beyond Fernandinho, we certainly need a character to do the running & closing down he requires to get the ball back - and we probably don't have that right now, although Delph would be an able deputy. I see Toure deployed as a reserve forward perhaps, just playing in a withdrawn role - his runs cause panic and space for others, and I think he's still capable of that whilst also still being a gifted footballer and playmaker
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Wonderwall » Tue May 17, 2016 9:08 am

Im_Spartacus wrote:
Foreverinbluedreams wrote:I wouldn't completely rule it out Sparty as you just never know however I don't necessarily agree that defence is our priority. I think the centre of midfield is a much more pressing issue when it comes to attempting to implement a Pep philosophy on this squad.

Perhaps so, I suppose my assumption is drawn from our ageing fullbacks and his history of having the likes of Alves, Alaba, Lahm etc covering the wings for his teams. I'm not convinced CB will see a huge amount of change - afterall, if he can get the defensive shield correct in midfield, the pressure would be very much off the centre halves.

I agree that beyond Fernandinho, we certainly need a character to do the running & closing down he requires to get the ball back - and we probably don't have that right now, although Delph would be an able deputy. I see Toure deployed as a reserve forward perhaps, just playing in a withdrawn role - his runs cause panic and space for others, and I think he's still capable of that whilst also still being a gifted footballer and playmaker

Even if Pep was in the mood for everyone to be given a chance. His dickhead agent will hammer the nails into his city coffin soon enough.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 17, 2016 9:19 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

Even if Pep was in the mood for everyone to be given a chance. His dickhead agent will hammer the nails into his city coffin soon enough.

The agent said yesterday that he'll have news on Yaya's future in ten days.

@Sparty, I don't believe Yaya can be used in that advanced role in a team that wants to play a high press because he just doesn't have it in him to do it consistently.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Im_Spartacus » Tue May 17, 2016 9:32 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Im_Spartacus wrote:

The agent said yesterday that he'll have news on Yaya's future in ten days.

@Sparty, I don't believe Yaya can be used in that advanced role in a team that wants to play a high press because he just doesn't have it in him to do it consistently.

Fair point, on the assumption that that's how we will play from the off, but that plan is also flawed in that Aguero is an equally lazy player in that regard.

I suspect that a high pressing approach will emerge over the season, particularly as we go through the Jan transfer window we will see it come to the fore as weeds out the one or two who can't / won't contribute - that's when I reckon we will start to see him flex his muscles over transfers out
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby City64 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:35 am

Our defence is a fucking disgrace and we need another 2 marque midfielders . That is down to Pellegrini as he has bought woefully , atrociously woefully !
Not really here

Fuck VAR
City64
Paul Power's Tash

Location: Urmston, Shevington , The Etihad , In a bar anywhere watching MCFC
My favourite player is: David Silva

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum