Manuel Pellegrini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Manuel Pellegrini

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon May 16, 2016 10:14 pm

gillie wrote:
Original Dub wrote:That's for sure Piccs.

We underperformed in one competition this season.

Reaching the semi finals was an excellent achievement in our development.
Fa cup taken from us.
Won the other competition.

Disappointing prem season. Even more so for Chelsea, rags and dippers.

It was one crazy premier league and we may never see the likes of it again.

Shit happens. If this is a terrible season - one so bad that it means disrespecting the guy who had us playing the most magnificent football seen at city in a generation and winning three trophies - then I'm perfectly with that.

Ok Ronan please explain the difference in performance for PL as opposed to CL/CoC because I'm fucked if I can, as don't forget the same players were involved in all 3 competitions.

There was certainly some extra zip and bite in our performances in the CL. I'm not sure why.
Winning the group certainly helped.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Mon May 16, 2016 10:15 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Of course it was a good season. There are only three cups up for grabs and we got our hands on one of them. We qualified for Chumps League again, an achievement Winger is lauded for, and we got as far as any English club has in a long while in Europe.
I'm shocked at the whinginess creeping in.
The Count sorted out the shambles he inherited from Mancini and got us playing the finest football I've ever seen at City. I think he is my favourite manager in my time watching City. ( Although I'll always have a soft spot for Malcolm, despite the fuck up second time around)

You're right, I should applaud half-assed performances and ill judged decisions, silly me.
I don't fall into your 'end justifies the means' camp and I never have so you just carry on being shocked and handing out the lectures, professor.

You don't need to be a professor to see how our fans attitudes are changing.

Different to yours, you mean.

No I mean changing.
Exactly as I said.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Nigels Tackle » Mon May 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Dameerto wrote:
Dameerto wrote:
Piccsnumberoneblue wrote:Of course it was a good season. There are only three cups up for grabs and we got our hands on one of them. We qualified for Chumps League again, an achievement Winger is lauded for, and we got as far as any English club has in a long while in Europe.
The Count sorted out the shambles he inherited from Mancini and got us playing the finest football I've ever seen at City. I think he is my favourite manager in my time watching City. ( Although I'll always have a soft spot for Malcolm, despite the fuck up second time around)

You're right, I should applaud half-assed performances and ill judged decisions, silly me.
I don't fall into your 'end justifies the means' camp and I never have so you just carry on being shocked and handing out the lectures, professor.

No I mean changing.
Exactly as I said.

spoken like a true union man....
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby PrezIke » Mon May 16, 2016 10:42 pm

How "good" is being defined is part of the problem.

We finished 4th in the league, won one of the 4 competitions we were in and made the semis of arguably the most prestigious club competition in the world. In that regard it's a "good" season. Compared to what most clubs get, even in the Premier League, you can't argue with those numbers. We scored the most goals in the Premier League this season, are among the top clubs in England and the world. If you didn't watch us play regularly you'd be in your right mind to think we did fairly well although if you followed for the last few seasons might wonder why we finished with our worst points total since 2009 and lowest final position in the league since 2010.

However, the expectations were not only higher, particularly in the league, for the team's performance on the pitch compared to what we are capable of, but seeing other clubs flounder and not take advantage of this upsets some further. Arsenal fans surely feel the same way, even whilst they finished 2nd. A mate of mine, an Arsenal fan, actually expressed those sentiments to me today. The inconsistency of our form week in and week out, the seeming lack of desire or team cohesion, the defensive lapses, the inability to defeat a single top 8 side in the league does ask questions of something. Whether it's the players, the manager, the director of football, the chairman, all of the above, this was a year, as is generally the case from now on, where we were expected to compete for the title.

The impending arrival of Pep, and how the team has been set up made Pellegrini's job harder. We can go on about the injuries, our captain being out so often, the decline/aging of key players, and how all of this affected players mentality and performance. I've heard criticisms from journalists suggesting we have the most talented squad in the league, while simultaneously hearing others say that we don't actually have as much talent for money we've spent. Whatever. It's all been what it is. It's not the best season, and surely not the worst, even for top clubs (see Chelsea or United or say Juventus when they were relegated).

Onward and upward...
PrezIke
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: KDBeezy

Postby aaron bond » Tue May 17, 2016 12:22 am

Some people seem to be claiming that we underperformed but did well in the League Cup and CL so that makes up for it.

The competitions don't carry equal weight. The Premier League is the main focus (we play more matches in that than the other 3 competitions combined).

We were excellent in the League Cup and the CL up to the semi final. But our performances week-in week-out in the Premier League were miserable and way below par. Furthermore, it was the continuation of a trend that began last season.

Pellegrini delivered an excellent first season and the League Cup this season was great. But there is a reason he is being linked with the Everton job and not with PSG or United.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City

Postby Dameerto » Tue May 17, 2016 2:22 am

Dameerto wrote:
Dameerto wrote:

No I mean changing.
Exactly as I said.

And I mean exactly what I implied - I don't watch City for the results, I watch them for the performances. And I would like to discuss the problems with some of those performances without being pigeon-holed. (as would others, in my opinion).
VIVA EL CITIES

"The adjudicatory chamber of the Ethics Committee ... has banned Mr Joseph S. Blatter ... for eight years and Mr Michel Platini ... for eight years from all football-related activities (administrative, sports or any other) on a national and international level. The bans come into force immediately." - 21/12/2015
Dameerto
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: El City
My favourite player is: Sergio Forwardo

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Tue May 17, 2016 6:00 am

Dameerto wrote:Truly great almost unbelievable first season. A real City highlight.

That was your original comment.
So where have I pigeon holed you?

I have complained about the negative style of play all season. I think the difference this year has been the insistence on playing two defensive midfielders. Especially when one of them can't pass the football.
At the same time we have been to the Cl semi final, won a cup and finished in the top four ( keeping the shite out at the same time). It's hardly the disaster being made out by some. I haven't been happy at some of our performances and have been desperate to see us attack with more intent again. At the same time, I've enjoyed some great occasions and seen some good football, including a victorious Wembley weekend. Those are the moments I go for and that make the bad days worthwhile.You can't have them all the time and to dismiss this season and our manager's efforts as poor, in my opinion, is a change in attitude from City supporters. I spent years wishing we could perhaps make a semi final, of anything! Now we're getting sniffy when we've actually won stuff.
We're becoming what we used to hate.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby sheblue » Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 am

aaron bond wrote:Some people seem to be claiming that we underperformed but did well in the League Cup and CL so that makes up for it.

The competitions don't carry equal weight. The Premier League is the main focus (we play more matches in that than the other 3 competitions combined).

We were excellent in the League Cup and the CL up to the semi final. But our performances week-in week-out in the Premier League were miserable and way below par. Furthermore, it was the continuation of a trend that began last season.

Pellegrini delivered an excellent first season and the League Cup this season was great. But there is a reason he is being linked with the Everton job and not with PSG or United.

100%.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Tue May 17, 2016 8:08 am

aaron bond wrote:Some people seem to be claiming that we underperformed but did well in the League Cup and CL so that makes up for it.

He was being linked with Chelsea and PSG a couple of months back.

As for the PL carrying more weight, to who? I'd love to hear Sheikh Mansour's thoughts on which competition he believes carries more weight.

You can't define our season by just league performances alone nor can you define it by just cup performances. The whole season has to be taken into account when judging.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Euthanasia

Postby Hazy2 » Tue May 17, 2016 8:36 am

sheblue wrote:

100%.

Short memories, when we got Sven, It was down to we have a few quid ! he was also very sort after, but as it was he was a turd of a manager who oversaw an 8-1 defeat when he had royally lost the dressing room. Pellers and the players were on different pages, the question is why. The answer could be coming soon as I predict some fall out is bound to come from one or two. I do not 100% blame the manager, he has taken his share, the players well let's wait and see.
Hazy2
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby sheblue » Tue May 17, 2016 9:22 am

Hazy2 wrote:
sheblue wrote:

100%.

Short memories, when we got Sven, It was down to we have a few quid ! he was also very sort after, but as it was he was a turd of a manager who oversaw an 8-1 defeat when he had royally lost the dressing room. Pellers and the players were on different pages, the question is why. The answer could be coming soon as I predict some fall out is bound to come from one or two. I do not 100% blame the manager, he has taken his share, the players well let's wait and see.

Agree on the players, they must shoulder some blame. Always suspected there are one or possibly two bad eggs in there. Hopefully those will be weeded out.
sheblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: silva

Postby getdressedmctavish » Tue May 17, 2016 9:36 pm

Came to do a healing job and did it well. Then, unfortunately he was found lacking because his decision to trust the players which was needed after Mancini turned into fingers crossed. Arse at home was a case in point. We take the lead 2-1 and then are ripped apart time after time. Pellers opts to do nothing. Result 2-2. Contrast that with Bilic after West ham went ahead v Rags. As for a nice man, we quite simply don't know because he never said anything worth saying in all the time he was here.Its like looking at Richard wrights medals and concluding he must have been a good goalie.Would have been sacked a long time ago were it not for our getting Pep so a bit cheeky to claim he was undermined. On to the next.
getdressedmctavish
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Swales4ever » Tue May 17, 2016 10:17 pm

someone [maybe Tokio, I know is great at this] must help my limited understanding of english language. Is it healing now meaning to return to hughes's state of affairs throughout almost half a billion pounds invested?

I know now in England is revisionism time and 70 years of peace seems to have turned into third reich, but.... there should be some limit in sipping propaganda.

1. "unintelligible language"
2. "ACID QUEEN"
3. "never once fails to turn a football thread into a himseelf thread"
4. "thumbs stalker often resulting in repetitive thumb strain"
5. ignore the cunt. he's on permantent wum mission. only TIDs may know City

You'd need to make a very good psychiatrist in order to guess what next in a eight yrs long line of hatred...

In Roger Ailes/Donnie Drumpf's words: "don't know it for a fact, but many people say so..."
there must be some truth, then!
Swales4ever
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Sharia for Spafia
My favourite player is: an intelligent one

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Wed May 18, 2016 6:31 am

Swales4ever wrote:someone [maybe Tokio, I know is great at this] must help my limited understanding of english language. Is it healing now meaning to return to hughes's state of affairs throughout almost half a billion pounds invested?

I know now in England is revisionism time and 70 years of peace seems to have turned into third reich, but.... there should be some limit in sipping propaganda.

Spot on mate. Pretty much everyone on here wants it back like it was under hughes. You've done well to deduce that.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 18, 2016 6:49 am

Swales4ever wrote:someone [maybe Tokio, I know is great at this] must help my limited understanding of english language. Is it healing now meaning to return to hughes's state of affairs throughout almost half a billion pounds invested?

Hughes' state of affairs? You mean finishing mid table?
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Grandad Rosler » Wed May 18, 2016 6:58 am

I think there are a few points being missed throughout a number of threads.

I for one don't want to go back to any era where we were struggling to survive / get promoted etc etc and loved every minute of winning the Capital one, as has been rightly pointed out those are the memories we've been waiting for.

What surely can't be dismissed though are some of the shocking performances we have put in this season, majority in the league.

That's not wanting to go back to the old times, it's just more expectancy based on our current situation and that, as city, we expect more fight from players representing our club. That's what's in our blood.
Grandad Rosler
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Andy Morrison

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 18, 2016 7:01 am

Grandad Rosler wrote:I think there are a few points being missed throughout a number of threads.

I for one don't want to go back to any era where we were struggling to survive / get promoted etc etc and loved every minute of winning the Capital one, as has been rightly pointed out those are the memories we've been waiting for.

What surely can't be dismissed though are some of the shocking performances we have put in this season, majority in the league.

That's not wanting to go back to the old times, it's just more expectancy based on our current situation and that, as city, we expect more fight from players representing our club. That's what's in our blood.

I don't believe anyone is dismissing it mate, just seems some can handle failure better than others.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby Mase » Wed May 18, 2016 9:18 am

Foreverinbluedreams wrote:
Grandad Rosler wrote:I think there are a few points being missed throughout a number of threads.

I don't believe anyone is dismissing it mate, just seems some can handle failure better than others.

Or pretend that because we had a good CC and CL run it masks over the cracks.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Foreverinbluedreams » Wed May 18, 2016 9:55 am

Mase wrote:

I don't see anyone doing that.
Foreverinbluedreams
Denis Law's Backheel

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 am

Mase wrote:

I don't see anyone doing that.

Then look closer.

For every time someone points out the obvious about Pellegrinis failings some cunt goes on about him winning the micky mouse cup and getting to the SF of the CL as if that justifies the other shit dished up.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum